POLL: Mosaic or Video for Birthday Greeting

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)

What would you prefer for the fan greeting to Leonard on his 75th birthday?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:07 am

Mosaic
69%
Video
31%

Total votes: 75
mutti

Re: POLL: Mosaic or Video for Birthday Greeting

Post by mutti »

I think its a great idea to both for all the reasons mentioned already! Of course if its not too much work for the people doing making it. Can hardly wait for the next step.
Mutti
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
ScottM

Post by ScottM »

Mosaic
2008: Dublin/London (O2)-Jul 17/London (O2)-Nov 13/London (RAH)/Brighton
2009: Liverpool/Madrid/Barcelona
2010: Sligo x2/Lille/Las Vegas x2
2012: Ghent/Amsterdam/London x2/Dublin Sep 11&12/Paris Sep 28
2013: London (O2) Jun 21/Brighton/Manchester/Cardiff/Birmingham/Amsterdam
Russell Harvey

Post by Russell Harvey »

Greetings,
You have my support for the mosaic. Great ideat.
Russell
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

The mosiac for me too , its a great idea
ispellit

Post by ispellit »

Out of practical reasons I'd vote for the mosaik too. I like the video version better but if I imagine thousands of fans sending in their picture, a video would become much more than 10 youtube-minutes long and I wouldn't want to have it splitted up. We must be all together!
Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
Matthew 7,3
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Thanks to all of you who voted on this project. As we can see from the poll, the mosaic idea is favored by a wide margin, over two-thirds. Now I know some have suggested that we do both the mosaic and video. My thought would be that we save the video idea for perhaps an end of the tour thank you to Leonard. Rather than hold up photos of signs saying "the" and "to," folks could hold up thank you signs. Maybe we could mix in photos people took during the concerts they attended. We can talk about all this later this year, but might I suggest that you consider taking some photos at the venue you attend or maybe group photos at your meet ups. You might want to hold up a plain white piece of paper and then words could be photoshopped in later that would be brighter and show up better. But enough of the future, we have a mosaic to make!

I will be starting a new thread and moving the posts about the main photo into it so we will continue this project there. Again, thanks to all who participated and remember that your thoughts are needed even more as we discuss the main photo.

Don't forget that we have a separate project going on, the Chelsea Hotel plaque, a lovely gift to honor Leonard for many years to come.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
Ermengarde11

Post by Ermengarde11 »

Hello Leonard Cohen fans, I'm a newbie here, but a fan of LC since 1974. I found this site today as I've been deeply engrossed in LC's music for a couple of days, moreso than I've done in years, I'm feeling very much wistful about all the joy and beauty his music has brought me for so very long. And if I can digress for just a moment, I am hopping mad that (according to a cyberfriend in France) Bernie Madoff "made off" with so much of Leonard's fortune, and happy that Madoff received a 150-year sentence today. But that's enough of unhappy things. Both Leonard and Janis have been instrumental in my life in dealing with my own depression issues, and I understand that Leonard has dealt with them too. His music is so healing for me, have any of you felt that way too?

I think the mosaic is excellent, I'm voting for it! Nice work, what an undertaking! Kudos to the artist. Do I need to vote by clicking somewhere or will this message suffice?

BTW folks, I have to share my own personal urban legend with you: I'm the product of that union in the Chelsea Hotel! Well maybe not in actuality, but in my heart I am, Leonard and Janis are my all-time favorite solo artists, they are both so much a part of me I feel like I'm their love child sometimes! Truthfully, I'm too old for this legend to be true, but I feel like I was reborn by their music in many ways. Please indulge me in this silly fantasy, and check out my Cohen covers and Joplin impressions on YouTube if you are so inclined.

Hope to enjoy many moments communicating with you fans of Leonard, I am so happy this site is here!
Kiwi56

Post by Kiwi56 »

I would vote for the mosaic, too !
2008 Lörrach,Oberhausen,2009 Dublin, 2010 Stuttgart, 2012Verona
Ermengarde11

Post by Ermengarde11 »

Kiwi56 wrote:I would vote for the mosaic, too !
Hey Kiwi, nice to meet you. I'm new here, have not interacted with any other members so far. I do like the mosaic a lot, but noticed some discussion too about the video, how it possibly could be presented to Leonard at his concert he'll be doing on his birthday. Heck it would be nice if we could do both. But the plaque is a very nice idea, he deserves to join the many other plaques that I understand are at the Chelsea Hotel. I guess I'd scrounge up my $10 and make a contribution for that.
Kiwi56

Post by Kiwi56 »

Hi Ermengarde,
a hearty welcome to the forum from me :) !
Yes, I also think the plaque is a great idea and I' ve done my payment for it yesterday.

Do you know, what kind of photos they want to take for the mosaic? I can't find it out. Should there be photos from Leonard or photos from the fans?
I would prefer photos from 75 years of Leonard !
2008 Lörrach,Oberhausen,2009 Dublin, 2010 Stuttgart, 2012Verona
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

Why would Leonard want to look at a picture of Leonard??

Let´s create a mosaic out of a base picture of Lorca and Adam (as adults, or as children even) ... or maybe even of Cassius.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

I think it should be a picture of leonard. He should be the focal point. We are doing this because we are his fans and he has meant so much to us. Plus he really wouldn't be looking at himself; he would be looking at us! :D

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

hydriot wrote:Why would Leonard want to look at a picture of Leonard??

Let´s create a mosaic out of a base picture of Lorca and Adam (as adults, or as children even) ... or maybe even of Cassius.
Hydriot, I've already expressed exactly the same sentiments. If we just put ourselves in his shoes for a moment, and there we are at this momentous occasion, and all the people who love you, for your birthday, get you a mosaic of yourself, with tiny pictures of themselves all over it - I just don't know if I would want to look at a picture of myself all the time - he doesn't seem to be narcissistic. I would much rather be gifted with a mosaic of my children that I could hang on the wall, see them portrayed thus everyday, and then discover all the people who love and respect me right there also, one by one. This surely would appeal to his sense of humor.

Marsha, I know he would be looking at us ;-) :D , but wouldn't he appreciate a mosaic of these two individuals whom he has loved unconditionally all his life and who I think IMHO have had a steadying influence on him. These are the people he always comes back to.

And jeepers, I really don't mean to stir up anything. Whatever is decided will ultimately be just fine with me.

Kindest regards always,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
enilorac

Post by enilorac »

Just tossing out another idea: how about a mosaic showing the interlaced hearts that appear on so many tour merchandise items? It's clearly a symbol that resonates for Leonard, and it means "Leonard Cohen" to many of us. Isn't it also more likely to be something you'd want to look at often than a giant mosaic of yourself?
margaret

Post by margaret »

The poll ended a few days ago with a majority voting for the mosaic.
There is now another thread here
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=15649&start=60

discussing what images would work best.

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”