POLL: Mosaic or Video for Birthday Greeting

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)

What would you prefer for the fan greeting to Leonard on his 75th birthday?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:07 am

Mosaic
69%
Video
31%

Total votes: 75
lortigosa

Re: POLL: Mosaic or Video for Birthday Greeting

Post by lortigosa »

I just voted for the mosaic, because I thought he's not going to be playing the video that much (maybe once and that's it), but he can have the mosaic hung in the wall and it will remind him of us.
Anyway, we could do also the video for the publicity, if you want it, but the main thing should be the mosaic.

Luisa
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

My initial reaction was the mosaic. Then after reading everyone's posts, I can't decide. There are definitely positives to both ideas. My vote? Let's do both. If we have to submit a photo, couldn't we submit two at the same time? One for the mosaic and another (with the word) for the video.

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

A couple of thoughts.

The mosaic idea was suggested by Maarten and at the time he also indicated his skills with the program were limited but he was willing to give it a try. The program is free for downloading here:

http://ezmosaic.com/

If others have an interest in becoming familiar with the program, now would be the time. We can have someone else collect the photos and make sure they meet whatever requirements we set.

I was concerned about the mosaic idea because of the number of photos it seemed to require, but from reading the FAQ questions, it is common for photos to be repeated. So we should be able to do it even if participation is not that high, but I think we will need at least 200 photos.

I favored the video idea for a couple of reasons. I think we could make it funny or at least cute and give Leonard a laugh and better express to him how we feel about him. It would give us all a chance to be a bit creative. And the pictures would be bigger so he could actually see us. It is something that will survive on the Internet so Leonard could watch it whenever he wanted and we all could enjoy it in the future too.

No matter which idea is decided on, we are going to need particpation. It would be great to do both ideas but that would mean even more people will have to step up and take on the tasks required to make these ideas a reality.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
Henning

Post by Henning »

I voted for video !
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

Oh dear, I voted mosaic, but reading the posts has swayed me towards a video too. I will participate in either to whatever level is required! :D
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
kwills

Post by kwills »

Can't we do both?
Manchester 19th June/Cardiff 8th Nov
donalagata

Post by donalagata »

Suzanne,
Excellent idea to send two photos. Once again I will request on behalf of all of the fans who are like me and need further instruction on how all of this shall be done. Leonard will be grateful for all and anything which is done for him . I cannot wait for the next step....
Donalagata(La Donna)
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

I vote for the video, but see no reason why we shouldn't do both.
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
PanCogito

Post by PanCogito »

I voted for mosaic but I like the video idea too. Why not to do both?

Greetings,

Roman
kind regards -דרישת שלום
roman - pan cogito- מר קוגיטו
העובדה שאני שותק לא אומרת שאין לי מה להגיד - The fact that I am being silent doesn't mean that I have nothing to say
|1985Wroclaw|1988Stuttgart|2008Montreal|2009 New York RC| MSG|Red Rocks |Las Vegas |2012Aalborg| Denver|Chicago|2013Milwaukee
Laura

Post by Laura »

I voted for the mosaic because I like the intricacy of it, you can look at it for hours and find something new (somehow like a Cohen song). But now the video sounds appealing, too. It seems the difference is: mosaic, more personal; video, more public.
I tried a bit the mosaic program and it's indeed quite easy. I'd like to do that, if no one else offered already (graphics is pretty much in my job description). I'm just not sure, as it is a trial version, if I can reinstall it once it expires. Hmmm.
What I don't understand about the mosaic version is the delivery form. I think this would look the best printed-and it would make a really BIG print. I know where the good plotters for that are in Bucharest, but definitely couldn't send it over mail!

Laura
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Laura,

Thank you so much for giving the program a try. And I am very excited that you have graphic arts experience too.

The 30 day trial verion is an issue. There is a free trial of the home version and pro verion. The home version is supposed to be good enough for the photo mosaics. It is only $25 to buy it, so that will be done if it becomes necessary.

If the mosaic idea wins the poll, we need to know the resolution and size requirements of the photos. It would also help if we know what makes for a good main photo in terms of color and details.

As for delivery, I think that will have to be at the point of presentation to Leonard. We'll work that out too.

If folks seem to want both ideas, we could try that but photos would have to all have the same size and resolution requirements or it will be too confusing. So, if no one has any objections, let's continue to vote. If the vote is close and the photos for both don't present any problems, maybe we could do both.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Well, I'm waffling! I did vote for the mosaic but believe I said at the time that I also really liked the video, and hopefully we can do both. The video would probably not include as many fans but I agree with Marie that it would give Leonard a laugh. Seeing us all in various positions (including just feet!) with signs for each word is funny enough, but again I loved it when a word at the end of line was dragged out and required 2 or 3 signs....very funny indeed!

Kudos to Laura for volunteering to attempt the mosaic! I'm sure someone else is savvy enough to splice together a video!

These ideas, and the Chelsea Hotel plaque are personal and wonderful ways to honor Leonards very special birthday!

All the best,
Diana
Laura

Post by Laura »

...and one more try. It didn't want to get attached on the previous message. The background photo was b&w in this case, but I don't like it so much, too much contrast. Oh yeah, and the "trial" thing stamped all over the place is rather annoying (I was too lazy to cut it off).

Laura
Attachments
output.jpg
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Wow, Laura, woman of action!!!

These are great, Laura. Thanks so much for working them up. My first impression is that close ups work better but not too close. The second one seems a bit too close, but the third one, the black & white one, seems just right. What do others think?
Marie: the photos for video and mosaic would have to be totally different anyway
Yes, I think folks were talking about sending 2 photos, one for each project but if the resolution and size are different for each project, I think that would make things too difficult since some members already have confessed to needing help with how to send a photo.
I'm sure someone else is savvy enough to splice together a video!
Already done. I wasn't going to propose the video idea unless I knew we had a loyal Cohenite with the skills necessary to do a great job lined up.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

Laura, I am really impressed, these are great! I definitely prefer the mosaic to the video. The smaller my picture the better! :D

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”