75th birthday approaching

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)
Louise W E

Re: 75th birthday

Post by Louise W E »

forgot to say I would like instructions for the mosaic photo.
Thanks Jarkko XX
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Louise,

Go to the Barcelona thread under Summer Tour in Europe 2009 and join the party!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15145&start=150
this takes you to page 11 of the thread but you have to read the previous pages, too, to find out about everything that will happen!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
jann

Post by jann »

Hello,

Could someone let me know if anything is being held for Leonards birthday in Australia, preferably NSW thanks heaps
Kanga

Post by Kanga »

I am going to be reading poetry on the Fourth Plinth in Trafalgar Square next week. I'd love to inlude something as a tribute to Leonard's 75th birthday.

I have started a thread in the poetry place
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16799
2008 17 Jul - O2, London; 17 Nov - RAH, London; 22 Nov - NEC, Birmingham
2009 11 Jul - MB World, Weybridge
2012 9 Sept - Wembley Arena, London
leonardmtl

Post by leonardmtl »

Kanga,

What a wonderful co-incidence!

This Saturday, I will be mirroring your poetry reading with leading a discussion of LC's work at our Literary Group in Waterville Valley, New Hampshire.

Typically we study and analyse the icons of literature....Checkov, Tolstoi, Hemingway, Dante, Virgil etc. Leonard has often said he is a mere songwriter compared to these giants. I think we shall find otherwise as we understand how he touches us so deeply with universal feelings.

Our format will be, after noting Leonard's biography, to analyze several of his more important songs, and listen to an audio of each song after the analysis. We will start with "Hallelujuh" followed by "The Future, Democracy, Anthem, Closing Time and others, if time permits. At this end , I expect to pass out a CD of all these songs to the newly converted.

Frankly, after delving into the multiple layers of his songs, the songs themselves have now touched me even more deeply.

Leonard from Montreal
We're all on one road....we're only passing through....

1967 Montreal / 2008 Toronto/ 2009 New York Beacon /Boston 2x /New York MSG / Chelsea Hotel Plaque Celebration /San Jose / 2010 Las Vegas 2x / 2012 Montreal 2x /Boston 2x
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Kanga and Leonard ~

I wish you could videotape and share with us your poetry reading and discussion group 8) .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Kanga

Post by Kanga »

I will be on the plinth in Trafalgar Square on Thursday 20th August from 7am to 8am.
I intend to read "Because of a Few Songs" towards the end - say 07:50 BST approx.
Thanks for your support.

The website for the live streaming in Trafalgar square is: http://www.oneandother.co.uk/

I have a Participant’s Web page – : http://www.oneandother.co.uk/participants/Carol_C

Afterwards you will be able to replay the video from my participants page.
honey604

Post by honey604 »

This sounds fascinating! Wish I could be there, Leonard from Montreal. I'm so close, yet so far. Many of LC's songs have deep meaning for me--and the more I listen, the more I hear...

Honey604 (from Boston area)
leonardmtl

Post by leonardmtl »

honey604 wrote:Re: 75th birthday

This sounds fascinating! Wish I could be there, Leonard from Montreal. I'm so close, yet so far. Many of LC's songs have deep meaning for me--and the more I listen, the more I hear...

Honey604 (from Boston area)
Hi Honey604

Our Literary Group had a great time with Leonard's work and loved the nuances and many layers we explored.

I can assure you that you have been welcome in our group and these newbies would have enjoyed hearing from a "real" Cohenite!

You can see a review of that meeting in the News section under "Leonard Reviewed in New Hampshire"

leonard from Montreal (also living in Boston)
We're all on one road....we're only passing through....

1967 Montreal / 2008 Toronto/ 2009 New York Beacon /Boston 2x /New York MSG / Chelsea Hotel Plaque Celebration /San Jose / 2010 Las Vegas 2x / 2012 Montreal 2x /Boston 2x
honey604

Post by honey604 »

Hi Leonard..

You attended the May 29 concert in Boston- as I can see from your list of concerts. I was in that crowd too. What a wonderful evening it was! It was my second LC concert, the first being in Montreal last June, which was a transforming experience. I found this site soon afterwards and though I don't post often I do visit almost daily. It's wonderful "meeting" other Leonard Cohen enthusiasts and learning, learning, learning.

Honey604
Kanga

Post by Kanga »

Well its all over, I had a wonderful time yesterday on the Fourth Plinth in Trafalgar Square, the weather was bright, I think I managed to do everything I intended, I’m still coming back down to earth. The feed back so far is very good – good sound on the internet – reasonable sound in the square. I’d love to hear what you think.

If you go to my participants’ page you can replay my hour as often as you like
http://www.oneandother.co.uk/participants/Carol_C

The bit of the programme for internet friends starts at 51min so you can go directly ;-)
It starts with me talking about the rain at Weybridge and waving my famous blue raincoat :oops:
Oh and I did wish Leonard a Happy 75th Birthday :D

51.00 For the Leonard Cohen Forum:
“Because of a Few Songs” by Leonard Cohen
53.00 For Longdogs Denise and Henry:
“The Leg” by Spike Milligan – I’m sorry the cameraman missed the actions
54.20 For all Longdogs (Show of Hands fans) and winners and losers in the credit crunch:
“Arrogance, Ignorance and Greed” (AIG) by Steve Knightley
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

On top of all this, he has to receive also at least one bottle of Château Latour 1982. :D We want him to sing, don't we?
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
margaret

Post by margaret »

How much ? :shock: for one bottle :roll:
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

OK. Maybe next year, if we start right now to work on the project : one euro per fan. 8)

Considering the fact that he does not need this to sing. :D

Dear (and so sweet) Margaret, how pleasant it is to read you again this morning and how exciting is this Birthday GT on September 21 in Spain. No doubt that you guys will have a terrific time in Barcelona. I would not be surprised if somebody reports having seen the ghost of Federico Garcia Lorca at some times during the night. Just too bad that I can't be there. Have fun!
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”