75th birthday approaching

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)
Rachelle

75th birthday approaching

Post by Rachelle »

I hope there will be a huge splash at the Barcelona concert on September 21, 2009. Leonard's 75th birthday!!!!! :D :D :D
lizzytysh

Re: 75th birthday

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Rachelle ~

What a privileged concert for you to attend.

There are so many things all of you in Barcelona can do to make it so... with so much time to go, I hope you'll all start thinking on it now. I'll PM you with one suggestion.. though, I'm not sure how everyone could be made aware and prepared without its getting back to Leonard. It's simple but beautiful.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
mutti

Re: 75th birthday - question for Jarrko

Post by mutti »

Is there something we can do collectively as a group for Leonard's birthday!
If we started a blog or card online
would he read it? wherever he is in Europe...
Jarrko any suggestions?
Thanks
Leslie Mutti
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I'm very open to all ideas and suggestions... Let's discuss them here. The special stamp was a great project five years ago, now we should find something as original, and hopefully something that can be created online
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

If we all submitted photos of ourselves, perhaps one of those software programs or program people could condense them into those pixel-y squares [each square an individual photo of us] into a full-size image of Leonard himself. [The kind they do to commemorate various occasions]. My idea is full-size of him because, as word got around, the images would become so many. We could add words like LOVE and Happy 75th Birthday, Leonard.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
mutti

Post by mutti »

What about people writing in and set a limit of 6 lines or so...
expressing Happy Birthday, or what they want to say related to his birthday and
appreciation of him, etc.
Then he can read it at his leisure...either on here or if Jarkko sends it to him...
Thanks Jarrko
It will be fun to see what develops on this idea...
I am open to whatever we do...
Mutti
1988 Vancouver
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Mutti ~

I immediately checked to see your Joined date. Your suggestion is an excellent one; the only drawback is that this is exactly how we proceed every year for Leonard's birthday... then Jarkko passes it on to Leonard and, exactly as you suggest, Leonard reads them at his leisur... and then gives us all a collective thank you, which Jarkko posts here for him 8) .

The reason we're looking for something that will be different this year is that 75 is a milestone... 3/4 of a century 8) . You have the right attitude of going with the flow of whatever gets decided :D .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
mutti

Post by mutti »

thanks Lizzy for your reply!
I look forward to seeing what we all come up with for his special birthday...
Mutti
1988 Vancouver
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

lizzytysh wrote:If we all submitted photos of ourselves, perhaps one of those software programs or program people could condense them into those pixel-y squares [each square an individual photo of us] into a full-size image of Leonard himself. [The kind they do to commemorate various occasions]. My idea is full-size of him because, as word got around, the images would become so many. We could add words like LOVE and Happy 75th Birthday, Leonard.

~ Lizzy
FANTASTIC idea Lizzy!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:lol: I like it, too, Mary; just how does one of those things get done, though? And who would do it? And to whom do we send our photo? We'd better get started now. September is just around the corner :lol: .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi Lizzie and Mary,

Count me in on this too! I do like your idea Lizzie! Perhaps we should all go to Barcelona...si?
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Lizzy,
Just google for "Easy mosaic" and you will bump into this program which let's you make this sort of thing really easy. You can download a trial version (30 days?) for free all over the internet. I once used it for LC purposes... (see attached file). I had to lower the size (and thus the quality) of the jpeg because the max kb here on the forum is 256kb per attachment... But it works fine!

Maarten
Happy Birthday Leonard (small).jpg
Happy Birthday Leonard (small).jpg (220.72 KiB) Viewed 18016 times

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

AH! Maarten... I didn't do it consciously, but seeing yours using Leonard's album and book covers and such, I have to wonder if I came up with my idea sub-consciously based on your having done it before. I say that because seeing yours now, I remember your doing it and it's still great 8) . So, now, ladies... [and thanks!] does this now-not-so-original idea still pass muster as a good one? The ideas for something online don't seem to be too many... I know Leonard doesn't want to hear me sing :razz: !

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

Lizzy, Maarten and all,

I LOVE the mosaic idea. Just love it.

Count me in for whatever though!

Esther
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by Mirek »

Well... some months ago I thought about the idea of celebrating Leonard's 75th birthday.
Let me share it with you.

We all come from different countries, different cultures. We use various languages. Leonard's poems and songs were translated to many different languages. Therefore my idea goes like this: everyone wanting to celebrate this special occasion chooses a few lines from Leonard's poetry or prose and records it in a form of mp3 file. The recording should not exceed 30 seconds (might be 45 or 60... don't know really). It would be nice to record those lines using our own mother tongues.
We send the mp3 files to Jarkko, he gathers them all, records a special birthday CD and then sends it to The Master. Of course someone can also design a special cover for such a CD.
We still have pretty much time to think about it.

OK, this is just an idea - don't know whether you like it or not.

Mirek

***I'm afraid it has to be someone else to do the hard work -- I have enough to do with the tour follow ups! :razz: / Jarkko***

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”