CONCERT REPORT: Tel Aviv, September 24

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
jeremek

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Tel Aviv, Israel, Ramat Gan Stadium 9/24/09

Post by jeremek » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:15 am

Habie wrote:It's 4 in the morning, the end of September, here in London town I'm drunk on fatigue and elation, but I just had to add to this thread : Leonard, toda raba, thank you, merci from the bottom of all our hearts.

So astonishing that Leonard can be at the same time a man of love, of truth, of lust, of sorrow, of joy, AND a man of peace and reconciliation.

So amazing that one single person can combine qualities so rare in a single body : humility, heart, soul, intelligence, sexual magnetism, warmth, love, friendship, simplicity, complexity, honour, sensuality, seriousness, wit, wisdom and the ability to communicate all of the above to people of every type from aged 3 months (hello, little Or).

So touching that after 2 years on the road, Dino is still moved to tweet that he's proud to be with Pops.

I just had a pleasant thought : thinking of Leonard, how he might be feeling right now, I imagine him joyous and proud at the amount of love he has given and received lately; I imagine him going home to the warm embrace of Anjani, and Adam and Lorca and his sister and so many others, knowing at some deep level that if he ever hoped his life would touch other lives, have a purpose beyond poetry and pleasure, then now he knows it does, and continues to evolve with ever more resonance and meaning.

Leonard is, to paraphrase Orson Welles, Some Kind of a Man. I always knew that - even when he, and I, were much younger, and people scoffed at my adoration of a man often dismissed as nothing but a gloomy womaniser. Feh! What do they know?!

Now, if only our woeful 'World Leaders' at the UN summit could summon up some humility and wisdom, wouldn't that be grand...?

Love to all, Shana Tova beautiful Leonard,
Habie x

Unusually accurate, right and fine words, I thank ...
jeremek
1985/2008/2010/2013/Always
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Tel Aviv, September 24

Post by sturgess66 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:58 am

From Sky News -

http://blogs.news.sky.com/frontlineblog ... 873e200a96
Dear Leonard Cohen

Sky News
September 25, 2009 10:12 PM
77080f7b-23d4-46bd-98e2-6783bc9bb3f5.Full.jpg

Dear Mr. Cohen,

People say that sometimes you have an experience that changes your life.

I never shared this thought. You see, as a journalist in the Middle East I thrive on cynicism - it is the way I cope with the bloody and violent scenes I face, the suicide bombers, the wars, from evacuating settlements to failed peace negotiations.

Last night was different. Last night was the experience that would change my life and possibly others, [writes Yonat Frilling, Fox News Middle East Producer.]

Last night you honored me with your music and inspiration.

For more than 3 hours you shared your music and soul with us - regardless of who we are.

Me, and 50,000 people. Israelis and Palestinians. Young and old. Religious and secular. We all can say that we have met you.

We will tell our children and grandchildren that you tried and made us try and for 3 hours you succeded.

You dedicated hallelujah to all the families that have lost their children in the ongoing conflict, and to all those who sometimes are considered naive, that keep on fighting for peace - that is usually all we need to hear.

You sang, and 50,000 people prayed with you, embracing and holding their loved ones.

You sang, we prayed, and all my cynicism washed away. For one moment, I thought, I felt, this could be possible.

At the end of the concert, around midnight, you blessed the audience in Hebrew, seasoned with a heavy accent and emotions, so appropriate for the holy days between Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish new year, and Yom Kippur, the day of fasting and atonement.

Your songs have always been about letting go and giving things up, but last night we all had trouble obeying your preaching.

We all wished that the night would never end. That you would sing for us forever. Rarely one or some have an experience that changes their lives even for a mere second - last night you did it for all of us - Israeli, Palestinian, Middle Eastern.

Thank you Mr. Cohen.
sirius

Post by sirius » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:09 am

Cohen defies critics with Israeli gig

Veteran plays to 47,000 in Tel Aviv despite accusations of 'immorality'. Donald Macintyre was in the crowd

Saturday, 26 September 2009
The Independent
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 93507.html

It was vintage Leonard Cohen. "We don't know when we'll pass this way again," he told the sell-out audience at the Ramat Gan football stadium: "But we promise to give you everything we've got tonight." And he did.

Any worries fans had after the 75-year-old Canadian poet-singer-songwriter collapsed while performing "Bird on the Wire" in Valencia last week (apparently from food poisoning) quickly dissipated.

Disbelieving laughs rippled through the crowd at those familiar lines in "Chelsea Hotel", the beguiling elegy to his late Sixties fling with Janis Joplin: "You told me again you preferred handsome men/but for me you would make an exception". And certainly the maestro, in customary suit and fedora, looked as good as he sounded in the still warmth of this Tel Aviv September night, his first concert in Israel for more than 25 years.

He – literally – danced off the stage before each of three encores, one of which charmed the enraptured crowd to their feet in an excited singalong, thousands waving their green glow sticks in time to "So Long Marianne". He and his gravelly bass baritone voice were at peak form, from a gloriously funky "I'm Your Man" to the dark and haunting "Famous Blue Raincoat" and, of course, "Hallelujah" (which served as a reminder that none of the many cover versions are as good).

But this is Israel, and the political context cannot be ignored.

Mr Cohen, Jewish like the vast majority of his audience, had billed the gig on Thursday night as "A Concert for Reconciliation, Tolerance and Peace". And this was not the usual vacuous platitude. For he had also agreed to donate its $1.5m to $2m proceeds to a new fund he is behind to promote coexistence projects.

One of these is the Parents Circle – Families Forum, a unique organisation of bereaved Israeli and Palestinians who have lost close relatives in the conflict and who meet regularly together to share their painful experiences across the divide.

In the face of protests by proponents of a cultural boycott of Israel that he was playing Tel Aviv at all, Mr Cohen had planned a similar concert in the West Bank city of Ramallah, with proceeds earmarked for a Palestinian prisoners' charity. But that was successfully blocked by boycott campaigners – including, according to his American manager, Robert B Kory, a number of "British academics" – who argue that concerts like this and Paul McCartney's last year validate Israel as a "normal country" as it tramples Palestinian rights.

The Palestinian Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel (PACBI) said that such attempts at "balance" not only "immorally equate the oppressor with the oppressed ... [but] are conscious acts of complicity in Israel's violation of international law and human rights".

The campaign has been given fresh impetus by Israel's winter offensive on Gaza, which left more than 1,300 Palestinians dead.

But the Parents Circle was undeterred. At a reception before the concert, the writer and long-time peace campaigner David Grossman said: "It seems so easy to believe that war is the only possibility and that Israelis and Palestinians will continue to kill each other." But Mr Grossman, whose tank commander son was killed on the last weekend of the 2006 Lebanon war, added: "But those gathered here tonight know what we have inflicted upon each other and the price we have paid. Leonard Cohen, through his art, indicates that he understands this suffering."

Another of the 47,000 at the concert was Ali Abu Awwad, a 37-year-old Palestinian who was jailed for four years for his part in the first intifada, and whose brother Yusef was shot and killed at the outset of the second.

Mr Awwad has since toured mosques and synagogues in Europe and the US on behalf of the Parent's Circle with Robi Damelin, a 65-year-old Israeli, who has complained that the occupation is "killing the moral fibre of Israel" and whose son David was killed by a Palestinian sniper while serving in the Army in 2002.

"It's not our destiny to keep dying," Mr Awwad said. "I can't boycott a great heart like Leonard Cohen. I was jailed for four years, my mother was jailed for four years. I lost my brother. I am proud that Leonard Cohen is supporting us."

For PACBI, "those sincerely interested in defending Palestinian rights ... should not play Israel, period".

But for Mr Cohen, grassroots reconciliation, however modest in its reach, reflects the words of "Anthem", the song he pointedly sang straight after plugging Parents Circle work from the stage: "There is a crack, a crack in everything/That's how the light gets in."
We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky
goldstei

Post by goldstei » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:13 am

thanks for this posting, sturgess, which i think indeed speaks for many, and perhaps even many thousands. i would put the same thoughts this way:

In "Everybody Knows," LC sings:

Everybody wants a box of chocolates
and a long-stemmed rose
as everybody knows

At least for three hours, these concerts have been giving us all chocolates and roses. And it clear that we, and the world, need them badly. Many, including myself, have gone to what LC says in some of his concerts has been "considerable financial and geographical inconvenience" to attend his concerts. But they have been worthwhile because of the above.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:18 am

Hi Sturgess ~

Thank you for sharing the moving words of the lovely and beautiful woman reporter from Sky News. It reminded me of Leonard's Minute Prologue:
Minute Prologue

I've been listening
to all the dissention.
I've been listening
to all the pain.
And I feel that no matter
what I do for you,
it's going to come back again.
But I think that I can heal it,
but I think that I can heal it,
I'm a fool, but I think I can heal it
with this song.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Bequia

Post by Bequia » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:21 am

sturgess66 wrote:
Dear Leonard Cohen...You sang, we prayed, and all my cynicism washed away. For one moment, I thought, I felt, this could be possible....Thank you Mr. Cohen.
This got me thinking of something written in a very different context:

I've been listening
to all the dissention.
I've been listening
to all the pain.
And I feel that no matter
what I do for you,
it's going to come back again.
But I think that I can heal it,
but I think that I can heal it,
I'm a fool, but I think I can heal it
with this song
....all men will be sailors then....
Bequia

Post by Bequia » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:21 am

Looks like we think alike on this one.....
....all men will be sailors then....
jglBB

Post by jglBB » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:28 am

This sirius is "siriusly" getting on my nerves. Can a mod or an administrator pleaaaaaase relegate him/her to where he/she really belongs? In the political section maybe or in the garbage can which is the equivalent for me. Thanks.
sirius

Post by sirius » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:36 am

May Our Enemies be Filled with Joy

It is hard to remember the true meaning of the enemy, as one who makes our life
precious to us. The opportunity to really pray for our enemies, not that they
may reform or be in some way changed, but simply and truly that they may be
happy and enjoy their lives, is one of the most valuable gifts our enemy can
give us, because this prayer offers a rich field for self discovery. Recall
Matthew 5,44: But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you,
do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you,
and persecute you.

An remember
our humanity is defined
by how we treat our enemies
not by how we treat our friends.

AMEN
We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:51 am

Yes, Bequia... it does look like we thought alike and at very nearly the same time. Ironic.

I've always thought that dissention ought to have been spelled dissension; however, I guess it's acceptable, either way.

Hi Adam ~ I'm very pleased to meet you. Thanks for clarifying. I apologize for not being able to bring Everything to you on this. It's difficult to remember where to find particular things, anymore... but this will get you started. Throughout the concerts, people have posted what Leonard has said at the end, his adaptation of the priestly blessings... but it seems you got the real thing. I'm hoping that Brigder/Arlene will come along, read this, and then post what she has compiled so far. Meanwhile, DrHGuy has done something with this, as well.
Re: CONCERT REPORT : Paris Bercy, July 7
by bridger15 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:01 pm

Does anyone remember what Leonard's Blessings were - usually four - following Whither Thou Goest?

I am trying to compile LC's "Priestly Blessings" from as many concerts as possible.
Thank you to those who have already responded in other threads with a written version and youtube links.

And thanks in advance to all you lucky concert goers who were there.
---Arlene
"The weather's a little tricky.. Don't catch a summer cold...Perhaps we'll pass this way again."

Then

"May you always be surrounded by families and friends and, if that is not your lot, may the blessings find you in your solitude."

In Bercy he added,

"Il y'a longtemps que je t'aime; jamais vous oublier."

Kevin Quinn

Correcting Kevin Quinn he said in a perfect french (and i'm french) : "Il y a longtemps que je t'aime, jamais je ne t'oublierais". Words from a traditional "à la clairefontaine...".
I watched this concert (in Bercy) and also one of The Olympia concert. Of course the playlist was the same (except "Avalanche") but i thing this place is too much bigger to appreciate LC with intimacity.Who by fire
ronnievv wrote:
Bridger15, I didn't mean the quotation from Tower of Song, which I recognized, of course - I meant the Priestly Blessing, which I didn't know before, so I thought that these parting words were Leonard's own. So much for our little misunderstanding
LC did write his final concert words. These parting words are Leonard's own.

The complainer was asking why he keeps using the same lines over and over. My reply was intented to convey that it is a "tradition" to repeat them. To me, the beautiful words he wrote for his concerts, capture the essence of the ancient Hebrew blessings, the same exact words that are still being invoked in Synagogues today.

Dr HGuy wrote an excellent article on this topic and included some Youtube examples.
http://1heckofaguy.com/2009/07/28/leona ... blessings/

As this is the Prague Concert thread, I don't want to go on too long. I hope this clears things up. Sorry for any misunderstanding.by bridger15
on Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:43 pm

Forum: The Summer Tour in Europe 2009
Topic: CONCERT REPORT: Prague, August 29
Here's another one:
Hi Arlene:

"Priestly Blessings" Lisbon July 30 2009

...Until then, please take care of yourselves, its... the weather's tricky out there, don't catch a summer cold.

If you've got to fall, fall on the side of luck.

This one's very difficult: Be Kind.

And listen friends: may the coming year find you surrounded by family and friends, but if this not your luck, may the blessings find you in your solitude.

Good night friends.
Thank you.
GOD BLESS.
Here's the link I got when I Searched for "priestly blessings": search.php?keywords=priestly+blessings& ... mit=Search

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
flytomars

Post by flytomars » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:18 am

WOW what a show :)
First of all I would like to thank this great forum, without which I couldnt have got the great tickets that I got in the presale.
Words obviously cannot express this experience (and hence my gratitude for it).
This was a mistyfying show, intimate in an impossible surrounding of 50000 crowd, with every song sung personally to me.
I also noticed for the first time that the setlist is directed exactly at that - No, he did not come to Tel Aviv to fool us: he is our man! He tried to leave us, but hey, thats no way to say goodbye :) it is all the same as the London setlist- but when it is all sung to you, only then you realise how personal it is - even though he probably repeats this same setlist in every show, there is no way to deny his sincerity when he speaks these words.
So when he sang the last song, Whither Thou Goest, the lyrics taken streight from the bible, and ended the show with Birkat Ha-cohanim, even a secular person like myself believed there is a god :)
The audience was superb, at least near where I was sitting - very respectful, quiet where appropriate, singing and clapping where necessary :)
The sound was excellent, I could not believe a sound like this could be achieved in a stadium- though it started a bit low, but that was fixed as the show progressed.
And Leonard- what can be said - I have no comparrison as this is the first (and thus far only) LC show that I got to see, so I can only compare it to the London DVD-
When I saw the DVD I was amazed that at the age of 75 he still "has it". When I saw the live show in Ramat Gan, I was amazed that I thought he "has it" in the London show - I better think again, as the scale of "having it" has just exploded, with the mercury flooding :)
I have never been to a show that poured so much love (From Cohen to the audience and back), yet was so musical and precise and professional - not a single blunder, this show was as close as I ever get to see perfection...
The singing was ipecable apart for one strange verse - in "first we take Manhatan" LC voice sounds strained during the bridge - then I saw the London show and noticed that he didnt sing this part - does he usualy sing "But you see that line there moving through the station?
I told you, I told you, told you, I was one of those" ?
Another thing that touched me deeply in the show was the mention of the Leonard Cohen Fund for Reconciliation - his words were truly not left nor right, but plain humanist in a away that can touch every person regardless of his political leanings.
OK, now it seems that there is some sort of a bug in the forum as I cannot continue typing and seeing what I type, I guess it is some sort of a hint that I wrote too much so I will stop here :)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:29 am

Thank you for your loving report, flytomars. Nah. Not a bug in the Forum letting you know you wrote too much :lol: . You didn't. It may have been some kind of glitch in your own computer, connection, or in interfacing with the Forum, but you definitely didn't write too much 8) .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
goldstei

Post by goldstei » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:35 am

Hey Lizzy,

I may have to stop posting, since you (almost) always capture my sentiments so well!

Bob from Ann Arbor
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:38 am

Article in Bloomberg.com

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... ovJa_bD6G0
Cohen Counters Israeli Concert Protest With Songs, Donations

Review by Calev Ben-David
Bloomberg.jpg
Sept. 25 (Bloomberg) -- Like a bird on a wire, the title of one of his best-known songs, singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen had to perform a balancing act after pro-Palestinian activists protested his decision to hold a concert in Israel on Thursday night.

The 75-year-old Canadian-Jewish troubadour’s answer was to donate proceeds from the concert to local groups working for peace and coexistence, including the Parents Circle, whose membership is comprised of Israelis and Palestinians who have lost family members to the violence of the Middle East conflict.

The concert, which attracted an audience of some 47,000 to Ramat Gan stadium just outside Tel Aviv, is expected to have raised about $2 million after expenses for those groups, according to Cohen’s manager Robert Kory, speaking at a reception just before the performance.

Cohen addressed the controversy from the stage, saying the concert and the groups it will support represented a “triumph over the inclination of the heart to despair, revenge and hatred.”

His gesture hasn’t mollified activists who urged him to boycott Israel over its policies toward the Palestinians. A plan to hold a second concert in the West Bank city of Ramallah was canceled in the face of their protests, Kory said.

Channeling Anger

Palestinians from the Parents Circle who attended the concert defended Cohen’s decision to perform in Israel.

“There are people who haven’t had a voice for a long time and have no place to put their anger, and the boycott is part of that,” said Ali Abu Awad at the reception, adding that his brother died in a clash with Israeli troops.

“I was in Israeli prisons for four years, and lost my brother, and am proud to have Leonard Cohen supporting us.”

Israeli novelist David Grossman, whose son was killed fighting in the Second Lebanon War in 2006 and who supports a complete Israeli withdrawal from the West Bank, said at the reception that Cohen’s music shows he understands the suffering on both sides.

Other performers, including Madonna, who performed in Tel Aviv earlier this month, have faced similar protests from pro- Palestinian activists, who have also sought to get Israeli movies boycotted at film festivals in Edinburgh and Toronto.

The controversy didn’t appear to distract Cohen during the concert, as he growled his way through an impassioned three-hour performance that ranged across his songbook of classics including “Suzanne,” “So Long, Marianne” and “Hallelujah.” He seemed to answer recent concerns about his health -- he collapsed during a Barcelona concert this month -- by dancing off stage in Ramat Gan at the finish of each of several encores.

Cohen’s music has been popular in Israel since he first appeared there during the 1973 Yom Kippur War to perform for troops. He ended the concert by blessing the crowd with the traditional prayer known as the “Birkat Ha’Cohenim,” or the priestly benediction, closing with this line:

“May God lift his face upon you and give you peace.”

To contact the reporter on the story: Calev Ben-David in Jerusalem at cbendavid@bloomberg.net.
Last Updated: September 25, 2009 09:23 EDT
bridger15

Post by bridger15 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:00 am

flytomars wrote:WOW what a show :)
First of all I would like to thank this great forum, without which I couldnt have got the great tickets that I got in the presale.
Words obviously cannot express this experience (and hence my gratitude for it).
This was a mistyfying show, intimate in an impossible surrounding of 50000 crowd, with every song sung personally to me.
I also noticed for the first time that the setlist is directed exactly at that - No, he did not come to Tel Aviv to fool us: he is our man! He tried to leave us, but hey, thats no way to say goodbye :) it is all the same as the London setlist- but when it is all sung to you, only then you realise how personal it is - even though he probably repeats this same setlist in every show, there is no way to deny his sincerity when he speaks these words.
So when he sang the last song, Whither Thou Goest, the lyrics taken streight from the bible, and ended the show with Birkat Ha-cohanim, even a secular person like myself believed there is a god :)
The audience was superb, at least near where I was sitting - very respectful, quiet where appropriate, singing and clapping where necessary :)
The sound was excellent, I could not believe a sound like this could be achieved in a stadium- though it started a bit low, but that was fixed as the show progressed.
And Leonard- what can be said - I have no comparrison as this is the first (and thus far only) LC show that I got to see, so I can only compare it to the London DVD-
When I saw the DVD I was amazed that at the age of 75 he still "has it". When I saw the live show in Ramat Gan, I was amazed that I thought he "has it" in the London show - I better think again, as the scale of "having it" has just exploded, with the mercury flooding :)
I have never been to a show that poured so much love (From Cohen to the audience and back), yet was so musical and precise and professional - not a single blunder, this show was as close as I ever get to see perfection...
The singing was ipecable apart for one strange verse - in "first we take Manhatan" LC voice sounds strained during the bridge - then I saw the London show and noticed that he didnt sing this part - does he usualy sing "But you see that line there moving through the station?
I told you, I told you, told you, I was one of those" ?
Another thing that touched me deeply in the show was the mention of the Leonard Cohen Fund for Reconciliation - his words were truly not left nor right, but plain humanist in a away that can touch every person regardless of his political leanings.
OK, now it seems that there is some sort of a bug in the forum as I cannot continue typing and seeing what I type, I guess it is some sort of a hint that I wrote too much so I will stop here :)
Thanks, Erez. You kept your promise and gave us a superb report. Yashar Koach!
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”