CONCERT REPORT: Venice, August 3

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
tomsakic

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Venice, August 3

Post by tomsakic »

Grazie to you, Andrea!;)

I also knew what's expecting me so that's maybe why I was more lucky than Wendy although I obviously was seated near her. After Lucca, I am *so* prepared for Italy that on Tuesday I even didn't mind the fact that you have to pay 18 Euros for Biennale, for *both* Giardini and Arsenale, because you can buy only "both venues tickets" nevertheless the fact that Arsenale is closed on Tuesdays.

I will also add that indeed the most stupid thing was that all row numbers were wiped out by rain and there was no stewards - I mean, one of the most beautiful aspects of Lucca was dozen of most beautiful Italian girls taking care of you... That's why in Lucca I acted as I do not know where my seat is 8) In Venice I was wondering where they are...
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

"Conorsiphone" has posted a video on YouTube of the afternoon soundcheck - "Who By Fire"

It looks like there were a lot of excited people there already in the afternoon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghnbI4JpFFs

And Tom - thanks for your recap. And I think what you said is true - that Leonard's voice seems to have became deeper since his recent "summer cold." And he seems to be enjoying reaching down for those low, low notes. :lol: :lol: And so am I. Haha! :D
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

So Long Marianne: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ4liW7oMrg

This video tells it all - just how I remember it was! Loud and everybody singing and Leonard totally ready to take Venice!

Closing Time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spQ9SlTtyZ0
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hi all,
Just got back from Venice (it's 2.50AM here...) but couldn't resist starting up my laptop which I wasn't allowed to bring to Venice because I promised my wife we'd spend some "romantic" time together (and she has this strange idea that laptops can't be included...?!).
I'm uploading the little video of the "new" song I shot with my photocamera during the sound check to my YouTube account (MaartenLC) right now, but it takes some time... I will leave it uploading for now. In case you want to look at it, check my account. I will post the link here later (when I get up tomorrow, that is). I only missed a few words at the beginning of the song. When I heard the band playing some intro that I hadn't heard before, I crabbed my camera and started filming right away, but the intro and a few words are missing...
If someone can write down the words for this, I think we would all appreciate it (I'm too tired now, will go to bed soon)

Tom: I'll check your setlist, but it seems pretty good at first sight. I was sitting in block A9, but fought my way to the stage after the blessings and managed to get a setlist from stage. I think they only gave away 3 or 4 maximum, so I'm thrilled with it!

Maarten

PS: I will also open a new thread in the "News" section for the "new" song later so we can discuss it there. It's "news" now and perhaps later we can move it to "LC's music" section...

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

I am not sure about the soundcheck's setlist.

I also now have wav recording (from camera) of the new song, but it also doesn't have opening instrumental and maybe even a line or two, as everybody needed some time to realise it's a brand new song;) We can compare it later (here you cannot understand most of the lines, and the sound becomes impossible to hear due to the church bells).
Evie B

Post by Evie B »

Wow Maarten, that was quite a scoop! A new song. We were told he has continued to write even though he is on this incredibly taxing world tour and now we have the proof. So we have a new album to look forward to :D, proabably next year.

He seemed in wonderful form in Venice, eat your heart out Elvis, he was swivelling his hips up a storm in Closing Time. Great stuff. He does seem to be missing out the poem, particularly at outdoor venues. Perhaps he thinks the ambient noise detracts from the delivery. Just loved the sound check, wonder how many new fans he won from the crowd listening in the Square. What a wonderful venue.

Thanks for the terrific videos everyone, isn't it great these days with the internet when we can share some of the atmosphere at all the shows?

Evie
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
tomsakic

Leonard Cohen: The Darkness (work in progress)

Post by tomsakic »

The Darkness, captured by Maarten! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcAhJg7yj2I
Inna

Post by Inna »

Tom and Maarten

Thank you so much for your great reports and the video of the new song. A pleasure.
"climb on your tears and be silent, like the rose on its ladder of thorn."
Paris 07/07/09, Tel-Aviv 24/09/09, Salzburg 27/07/10
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

Well that was amazing. Thanks for capturing the new song Maarten!
Tom Sakic wrote:The Darkness, captured by Maarten! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcAhJg7yj2I
As far as lyrics, here's what I heard, probably with some mistakes (remember this is the girl who heard "Pythagoreas" in a recent Youtube vid, when he actually said "Thank you.")

The Darkness

....It was drinking from your cup
I caught the darkness
from your little ruby cup
I said 'is this contagious?'
You said 'just drink it up'

I got no future baby
I know my days are few
I got no future (honey?)
I said I know my days are few
And the prison's not that pleasant
Just a lot of things to do

I don't need your sticky (?) little buzz
I don't need your alcohol
I don't need your loving touch
but that's always been your call
'cause there's nothing about (but?) the darkness
'makes any sense to me at all

I should have seen the darkness
It was right behind your eyes
ah, those pools so deep and heartless
I just had to take a dive
ah yeah winning you was easy
yeah but darknesss was the prize

Got no future
Got no future
Got no future
yeah I know my days are few
The prison's not that pleasant
just a lot of things to do

Don't need your sticky little buzz...

[here he signals the band to stop- you can hear cathedral bells ringing over them :)]
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by maureen »

Thanks to all of you who have posted videos and photos, especially Marianne(the encore). Whoever took it must have been very close to where I was sat, as it is the same view that I had(6 rows from the front!) I don't know what else to add to what you have all said already, I still feel very, very happy. I saw Leonard 4 times last year, but this was the best concert of all, and they have all been wonderful.I caught some of the sound check too. I was very excited before, and even the rain didn't make me feel unhappy, just so glad to be there, and then it stopped, it didn't matter that my feet were in a 3 inch puddle of water, the disturbances I was hardly aware of, I know it was fortunate that I was sat where I was. For me it was perfection in every way, and Leonard if you ever read this forum, thank you from the bottom of my heart for all you have given over the years, there is a real sharing that happens when you perform eh! Hopefully in the future it can happen again, but memories do live on. I am so glad that you obviously enjoy it all so much too, once again thank you.
Relate

Post by Relate »

I was also lucky enough to catch the sound check (what a boon) and recorded it. There were quiet a few nice jokes between Leonard, band and the assembled crowd. For example when he asked if someone could move the building in front of him (the Basilica!) and lots of smiling and pointing to the angel during the songs.

As for the new song - awesome. And the words:

I think it's "the present's not that pleasant" and I thought maybe he was saying "don't need your sticky little buns" but this might just be a comedy mishearing.
jglBB

Post by jglBB »

Relate wrote: ......and I thought maybe he was saying "don't need your sticky little buns" but this might just be a comedy mishearing.
My old french-canadian ears caught "don't need your sticky little body" but they may be wrong. :lol:
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Relate, I'd like the recording of the sound check:)
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

slapperoonie

Post by slapperoonie »

In a remarkable piece of good timing I'm off to Venice for the weekend tomorrow.... oh well! Can't win 'em all... thanks to everyone for the concert reports and youtube stuff... loving the new song - I heard "sticky little body" too, for what it's worth...
Liverpool 2009 / Manchester 2013

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”