CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin, July 19, 20, 22, 23

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
osmachar

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin, July 19, 20, 22, 23

Postby osmachar » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:02 pm

tinderella wrote:Another magical night ahead with Leonard.
...I went in search of Leonard this morning and I found Dino instead! ...
Is that not what they call stalking 8)
IrishMar

Postby IrishMar » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:45 pm

This is my "imperfect" offering of Lullaby from last night's concert, not up to Albert's standards, but we were further back in one of the blocks. Many thanks Jarkko and everyone involved in the presale for allowing us the priviledge of seats so close to the stage for all the presales.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InQ69VP182s

Marie
2008 DUB3 LDN Helsinki LDN Paris MAN
2009 NYC Boston Weybridge DUB4 Belfast Lisboa Bratislava Barcelona Chicago LV SJ
2010 Zagreb Sligo2 Berlin Ghent2 Firenze Marseille Katowice Bratislava Victoria Vancouver LV2
2012 Ghent2 A'dam2 Helsinki DUB4 Verona Paris2 Boston2
2013 NYC Brussels Prague Vienna Zurich MAN
bridger15

Postby bridger15 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:19 pm

IrishMar wrote:This is my "imperfect" offering of Lullaby from last night's concert
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InQ69VP182s

Marie
Thank you for the great video. This is Absolutely FABULOUS!!!!
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
MaryB

Postby MaryB » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:09 pm

Al - Marie did do a fantastic job on this video! So grateful for this Marie!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Charco

Postby Charco » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:33 am

Just back after a forlorn wait outside the 02 looking for a spare ticket for tonights show --nothing doing as it is obviouslly another sell out --look forward to reading concert review later .

To compensate I have just looked at IrishMar's video of ' Lullaby '--fantastic work and nothing at all 'imperfect ' about the quality --I happen to know Albert and will be contacting him to tell him that he has a real competitor !!!!

Thanks for posting the Video--terrific new song from Leonard and great to be able to hear it as it was not played on Sunday and Monday when I was there

Charco
Bird off the Wire

Postby Bird off the Wire » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:30 am

Home from the O2, another excellent show. Commenced 8pm sharp and finished about 11.05, with the usual interval and encore 'breaks'. LC in fine voice as were Sharon, Hatti and Charley. Pretty normal set-list, nothing as far as I can recall that hadn't been played on the other nights. As for the guy who couldn't buy a ticket outside, there wasn't an empty seat left in the house. The crowd did their usual thing on Marianne and on one or two others. Too many highlights for me to pick one, but my name might give some clue as to my favourite LC song.
call the shots

Postby call the shots » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:56 am

just back from my fourth night at the o2 and all i can say is he saved the best for last. first we take manhatten was the highlight. from out of nowhere it was like he turned the clock back and was young again with a vocal performance that would put anyone to shame. i was lucky seat wise also. row g, row j and row a. only bad night was wednesday and block c but was still a great view. glad im going to belfast as he probably wont be back after this but lets just say he will always be remembered for his truly outstanding irish concerts and his grace and dignity. he is proof that genius can be human also.
nod

Postby nod » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:56 am

As i sit here on my couch with my ear plugs in, listening to leonard singing Famous blue rain coat on utube from the o2, I cant imagine that we will see the great man again in ireland. Monday night leonard did have a cold and I think he struggled a little,but last night( thurs) he seemed to be fully recovered. I brought my 16 year old son to witness the Master, for those that were there he was the guy with the mullet and the blond strip.I think he stood out as he was probably the youngest there,despite the mullet !. As he went for refreshments during the break, he over heard many comments from some of his elders as to what the f etc. was he doing there. Well as we sat and listened to a thousand kisses deep, he turned to me and said one word, as I had to describe Leonards performance on Monday night "awesome". He was slightly taken back at some of the idiots shouting at leonard during this beautiful rendition, he said to me after, dad, you know when to shout and clap etc.,this from a sixteen year old that some people thought maybe should not be there. He loved the great man and has down loaded partisan on to his bebo page when we got home. leonard is ageless and his return to performing has secured a new generation of fans. Roll on Barcelona just booked the flights.I better go, as I just realised I have to go to work. AGAIN WHAT A NIGHT, THANKS LEONARD.
Happygirl

Postby Happygirl » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:52 am

Hi nod, the report about your son's experience was really interesting to read. Glad he enjoyed himself so much, there are surely LC fans in every generation and always will be. I'm not quite as young as your son but still get comments on why I would be interested in 'this kind of music at my age'. I'm just so thrilled to have discovered Leonard's music early enough to witness him live last year and now. What would I give to travel back in time to some of his earlier gigs.

I wasn't sure if I was going to be in Dublin this July so hadn't prebooked any tickets this time around. On Sunday I headed down to the O2 on the off chance of finding a ticket before the gig and was ecstatic to secure a last minute ticket. Ended up going to all four gigs in the end - got last night's ticket so late, he was already halfway through the first song and I was close to tears as I didn't think I'd get in anymore. I'm also nursing my withdrawal symptoms this morning with youtube and live cd and am looking forward to reading more reports about last night's and upcoming gigs.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Leonard and all the band and crew for making this one of the most memorable weeks of my life! May the touring road rise up to meet you, may the wind always be at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your face and until we meet again (in Barcelona - just booked my flight, anybody from Lucca meetup going?) may you be safe in the knowledge that there will be ecstatic audiences waiting for you in every place you go to! xxx
I lit a thin green candle {in Barcelona} to make you jealous of me
Dublin 13th July 08 - Lucca 27th July 08 - Dublin 19th, 20th, 22nd, 23rd July 09 - Barcelona 21st Sept 09 http://lifeisafestival.wordpress.com/
osmachar

Postby osmachar » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:20 pm

nod wrote:... I brought my 16 year old son to witness the Master, ...he was the guy with the mullet and the blond strip....
As he went for refreshments during the break, he over heard many comments from some of his elders as to what the f etc. was he doing there. ....
What??? I've never seen any age limits printed on the tickets.

You should tell him to sort out the mullet though - not good style.
amcgee

Postby amcgee » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:33 pm

thanks for all reports from all the gigs, I am glad everyone found them as good as the one i went to on Sunday night. Was tempted to try and get another ticket to go for last night, but they were all gone

Thanks to Irishmar and Albert for very good youtube video's, really good quality. I was really please to be able to relive Famous Blue rain coat again which for me stole the show. But So long marianne came very close, that video is probably the best recording i have ever seen

A clever person sent an email to Irish times today

as follows

Madam, – Perhaps Leonard Cohen could be persuaded to loan his technical crew for any future Bob Dylan concert in the O2? The contrast in the quality of sound at their respective concerts could not have been starker. It was a delight to experience the rapport between the audience and an exceptional bunch of musicians who entertained for almost three hours. Hallelujah! – Yours, etc,

He is completely right, as i went to both Dylan and Cohen and there was no comparison. I think Dylan was a real disgrace compared to Cohen...

Cohen may no be seen in Dublin for a long while(maybe never) but while he brought a lot of happiness and joy to a country that certainly needs it.

thanks Leonard, best wishes for the rest of the magical tour, if i win the lotto, i may see you again, if not, i shall always remember.

amcgee
mydoglorca

Postby mydoglorca » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:49 pm

He is completely right, as i went to both Dylan and Cohen and there was no comparison. I think Dylan was a real disgrace compared to Cohen...
= amcgee wrote

Agreed. We went to see Dylan in Birmingham in March & it was probably THE worst concert we have ever been to & thats saying something. The sound was appalling & he didn't acknowledge the audience until the very end. Luckily we only had to endure him for about an hour & three quarters.
1976 Bristol 1979 Birmingham 1988 RAH x 2, 1993 RAH x 2 & Madrid, 2008 Edinburgh, London O2, Cardiff, Bournemouth, RAH 17 Nov, Birmingham, Manchester 30 Nov, 2009 Weybridge, Liverpool, Dublin 19 & 20th,2010 September -Marseille, Tours, Lille, 2012 12 & 14 Aug Ghent,Wembley x22013 O2, Antwerp, Bournemouth, Manchester
JudasPriest

Postby JudasPriest » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:08 pm

Well....as much as I loved the Leonard shows, I felt Bob's in the O2 were superior. The sound downstairs at Bob was absolutely fine although I did hear those upstairs were not so lucky. But Bob was in rare form and gave no less than 12 different songs on the second night. That's one aspect that Len just can't compete with. In fact, I saw Bob 6 times in Late April and May and he played a total of 53 different songs over the course of those 6 gigs. Amazing stuff. A privilege to have attended both artists of course but if there's one guy that eclipses Leonard, it's the Bob meister....
surrender

Postby surrender » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:13 pm

= amcgee wrote

Agreed. We went to see Dylan in Birmingham in March & it was probably THE worst concert we have ever been to & thats saying something. The sound was appalling & he didn't acknowledge the audience until the very end. Luckily we only had to endure him for about an hour & three quarters.
=mydoglorca wrote
The same experience in Amsterdam in April.....
1988: Amsterdam 1993: Nijmegen 2008: Amsterdam|Oberhausen 2009: Cologne|Antwerp|Barcelona 2010: Ghent (8/20-21-22)|Lille
2012: Ghent (8/12)|Amsterdam (8/21-22)|Verona|Lisboa 2013: Antwerp|Brussels|Rotterdam|Amsterdam

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music...
(Aldous L. Huxley)
JudasPriest

Postby JudasPriest » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:24 pm

Concerts with Bob are much more hit and miss affairs. With Len, you know what the show will be like. By and large, you know the setlist, the order of the songs, even the monologues in between...With Bob, you're never sure what you will get. Florence was awful this year and then my next show a week later in Sheffield was wonderful. The recovery was quite remarkable. It's the curveball element to a Bob show that makes it so appealing to me. Len has a completely different approach which is far more methodical and mapped out in advance. I've seen Bob 36 times and he is definitely my number one man. I can't see myself seeing anyone else (even Len) that often without the experience getting stale. But Bob is unique. It's been a great few months for irish gig goers to have the likes of Bob, Neil Young, Bruce and Leonard all performing in the capital. Just who is going to replace these icons?? Nobody is coming through the ranks as far as I can see to carry on the torch. It's all very worrying....

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”