CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin, July 19, 20, 22, 23

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Morrissey

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin, July 19, 20, 22, 23

Post by Morrissey »

Thanks tinderella! I'll make sure I'm there before 8 so! Can't wait!! :D
Bill's Bar

Post by Bill's Bar »

Hi swimmer
Yes the recitation is always a highlight , and yes he did add a few extra lines at the end which were new to me.

The screen delay was certainly off putting, with some in my company even suggesting our hero was lip synching a la Britney. :D I soon put a stop to that kind of talk. :D

It was great to meet up with the crowd from Hydra again and some new faces including some visitors from Germany.

Marie, Al, Tinderella sorry I missed you in Jury's.

Hope you all enjoy the rest of the shows this week.

And by the way the meetups for the rest of the week are in the Harbourmaster Bar.
2008: Dublin 14/6, Lucca 27/7,Munich 6/10, Bournemouth 11/11, London 13/11 ,Paris 24/11.
2009: Quebec 21/5, Ottawa 26/5, Dublin 19/7,Venice 3/8, Barcelona 21/9, Nashville 5/11, St.Louis 7/11, San Jose 13/11
2010: Sligo 31/7,1/8.
reillci

Post by reillci »

Great Concert on Sunday night. I was also impressed with the O2 ..that is until the out of sync video. It was most annoying and very distracting. I rang O2 today and they did apologize but they put the blame solely on the LC production team. I wonder who was really responsible ? This hiccup was unforgivable.. they should have turned the screens off..luckily we had good seats in Block F

Ciaran Reilly,Naul , Dublin
jerry lee

Post by jerry lee »

hi all,

Fully agree with the comments - amazing gig. So delicately different to the festive atmosphere of Kilmainham. Last night was a chance to enjoy and appreciate and savour the man and the musicians in the great acoustics of the venue.

I had to stop myself getting seriously pissed off with the screen though. I was in Block D and it just about didn't matter but I felt for everyone further back. Surely it's a simple simple thing to get right during the soundcheck? I was certain they would fix it during the interval. It stopped the evening being absolutely perfect.

I would love to know what exactly the problem was if there's any tech experts here, and also who stuffed up - the O2 or Cohen crew.

Could I also suggest one other thing for people opinion? I thought the camera set up was a little but unimaginative. The main camera on Leonard, Javier etc was great but the one to left of stage could not bring out the backing singers as well as it should or could and we were left with a lot of flat front-on shots. Maybe I was just hoping to admire the Webb Sisters a bit more!!!
Birdonawire

Post by Birdonawire »

Bill's Bar wrote:

And by the way the meetups for the rest of the week are in the Harbourmaster Bar.

Hi Bill's Bar,

Just a quick question as I'm heading off for the gig in a few mins. Are people meeting in Jury's before the gig then the Harbourmaster after, or in just the Harbourmaster before gig? Any quick replies please as I'm going in a bit.

Cheers.
New York (Joe's Pub), April 24th 2007 / Dublin, June 14th 2008 / Dublin, June 15th 2008 / New York, February 19th 2009 / Dublin, July 20th 2009 / Barcelona, September 21st 2009 / Sligo...here I come!
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Harbour master was closed on sunday so that is why they chose Jurys. I think it is the Harbourmaster for the remainder of the concerts.
Birdonawire

Post by Birdonawire »

Thanks Tinderella, just in the nick of time. Heading for bus now and can't wait for another dose of Cohen!
See you all at the Habourmaster shortly (whoever is going tonight that is).
New York (Joe's Pub), April 24th 2007 / Dublin, June 14th 2008 / Dublin, June 15th 2008 / New York, February 19th 2009 / Dublin, July 20th 2009 / Barcelona, September 21st 2009 / Sligo...here I come!
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

reillci wrote:Great Concert on Sunday night. I was also impressed with the O2 ..that is until the out of sync video. It was most annoying and very distracting. I rang O2 today and they did apologize but they put the blame solely on the LC production team. I wonder who was really responsible ? This hiccup was unforgivable.. they should have turned the screens off..luckily we had good seats in Block F

Ciaran Reilly,Naul , Dublin
The screen issue surely sounds irritating! Strange though that the LC team should be solely responsible for it, given that so far, no similar problems have been reported elsewhere and that they have always done an impeccable job... :neutral:
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

mimzo13 wrote: He wished that 'if we fall, we fall on the side of luck' and wished us blessings. What a wonderful poet, songsmith and charasmatic human being.
Does anyone remember any of the other Blessings - usually four in all - following Whither Thou Goest?

I am trying to compile LC's "Priestly Blessings" from as many concerts as possible.
Thank you to those who have already responded in other threads with a written version and youtube links.

And thanks in advance to all you lucky concert goers who were there.
---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Bill's Bar

Post by Bill's Bar »

Hi Arlene

From what I can remember the other blessings were "the weather is getting tricky out there, so don't catch a summer cold" "the difficult one....be kind" and one to the effect that may you find peace with family and friends," but if that is not your lot, may the blessings find you in your solitude"

Tony.
2008: Dublin 14/6, Lucca 27/7,Munich 6/10, Bournemouth 11/11, London 13/11 ,Paris 24/11.
2009: Quebec 21/5, Ottawa 26/5, Dublin 19/7,Venice 3/8, Barcelona 21/9, Nashville 5/11, St.Louis 7/11, San Jose 13/11
2010: Sligo 31/7,1/8.
Bock the Robber

Post by Bock the Robber »

I thought he was great. Enjoyed every second of it, apart from the annoying out-of-sync screens, but that's a minor quibble when in the presence of greatness.

My more detailed report is here : http://bocktherobber.com/2009/07/leonar ... n-dublin-3
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Really lovely review Bock. You really captured the atmosphere. Thank you
wafflewaitress

Post by wafflewaitress »

-
Last edited by wafflewaitress on Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
table top joe

Post by table top joe »

Im gonna have to join the chorus of moaning about the synch issue,i felt really bad for those so far back they had to rely on it,i was in the 3rd row so i was fine but it really should have been fixed,it looked like someone was having a look at it during the interval but the problem remained

Aside from that,it was another 10/10 for me,i actually thought Leonards voice was great last night apart from a shakey start with "Dance Me..",i had a terrible seat last year and didnt think the sound was loud enough but i had a great seat this year and the sound was excellent! i thought this years setlist was far better too,more of a mix of old and really old :razz: ........i was hoping for "Famous Blue Raincoat" and "The Partisan" since i got my ticket and sweet Jesus he delivered! "The Partisan" was the highlight for me,stunning and beautiful......

Kilmainham was more enjoyable for me purely because it was so exciting to see him for the first time and because he was so much greater than anyone could have imagined,but last night was a better performance imo,the band were just perfect,the year on the road has made them truly special.......Leonard and his band blow everyone else ive seen away(even Bruce Springsteen and co. last week and they were fucking amazing!)

I cant help but add that the position of my seat gave me a great view of Charley Webbs arse.....wow :oops:
Unspoken Words

Post by Unspoken Words »

Just back from Dublin. Was in Jury's prior to the concert but did not meet anyone from the board!

The show did not have the complete magic and surprise of the Kilmainham concert last year (but very very close!!) when LC and the band were completely taken aback by the crowd reaction, seemed more natural and the atmosphere was truely spiritual and probably unrepeatable. The band now seem a bit tired and weary of performing the show for 3 hours at so many concerts and this was noticeable, but only slightly so, it is now partly going through the motions. They are however complete professionals.

The show was nevertheless absolutely brilliant and still breathtaking and still a once in a lifetime experience. The introduction of some new songs, in particular Famous Blue Raincoat and So Long Marianne (not played on Saturday last year) gave the performance a new freshness and LC as usual gave his heart and soul and almost appeared as if he wanted to stay on all night. It was a complete trawl through his catalogue which would have satisfied most tastes and represented great entertainment value. The artist gave more than anyone could even dream and is selfless for someone approaching 75. LC is truely true and a beautiful spirit.

I was personally transformed again by such beautiful music and words and was tearful several times.

Sitting near me was a party of people including Gay Byrne, Father Brian D'Arcy and Gabriel Byrne the actor. Brian D'Arcy was buying some of the musicians CD's at the interval so I presume he was impressed and perhaps will play them on his radio show. A government minister (Dermot Ahern) also dashed past me on his way to the toilets. Gabriel Byrne I would have suspected of being a fan as I read an interesting article by him and watched a programme on the TV when he talked about life issues. I also however have a distinct feeling that a lot of people are attending the concerts due to the feedback that attendees are giving and word of mouth but they really know very little about LC or his music.

Overall this show was excellent with just not quite the same magic as Kilmainham but then again that was special. Nevertheless it was complete magic and special and I loved every minute of it. I was in the flat seats close to the front so could watch the band direct and the screens were not important but when I did look they were off putting and made it look like LC was miming. This would have spoilt the show I am sure for others.

Roll on Belfast. I wonder can Belfast create such a good atmosphere as Dublin?

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”