CONCERT REPORT: Weybridge, July 11

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
imyourwoman

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Weybridge, July 11

Postby imyourwoman » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:01 pm

somewhat_nifty wrote:I was in A5 N and a couple of rows ahead were three girls with a banner - does anyone know what it said? (I couldn't read it in reverse!) Are you members here? Leonard looked like he saw it at one point!

In response to the First We Take Manhattan request above, I have an 'action' recording here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYEY-Td0npI
That was us! The banner says 'Len - i'm your woman'. It's the same banner that is briefly glimpsed on the Live in London DVD (we were in the front row for that concert and one of the cameramen filmed it). So now we take it to all of the gigs. I'm glad you thought Leonard saw it, it was hard to see from behind the banner!
Last edited by imyourwoman on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sebmelmoth2003

the movie that changed suzanne's life

Postby sebmelmoth2003 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:35 pm

did mr cohen pick vega because her first name equates to one of his most famous songs?

programme to be broadcast firday 17th july - audio should be online for 7 days thereafter.

Suzanne Vega: Funny Face
Listen:
Next on:

Friday, 19:00 on BBC Radio 2

Synopsis

Please take your seats, switch off your mobile phones, Radio 2 is off to the movies...

"Nothing beats listening to film on the radio"

In an unforgettable collection of programmes, six well-known figures each choose their favourite movie - one that might have even changed their life. Our presenters have each selected a landmark film which they review with the assistance of an impressive line up of expert contributors. Their choice alone reveals something about them, but through the course of each programme, they also reveal more about their preoccupations, aspirations and obsessions at different times in their lives.

Programme One:
Suzanne Vega's Funny Face

Suzanne Vega chooses Funny Face: a stylish, romantic musical starring Audrey Hepburn and Fred Astaire. Mousey intellectual Jo Stockton is discovered in a Greenwich Village bookshop by Dick Avery, the
photographer for New York fashion magazine, Quality. Crowned the reluctant new face of the magazine, she is flown to Paris where she is to model the latest collection by France's leading designer. Jo, however, has her own motivation for visiting Paris: she wants to find Professor Flostre, the man behind the Empathicalist philosophy she follows. But when Jo finds she has to choose between Flostre and Avery, which way will she go? Directed by Stanley Donen with songs by George and Ira Gershwin and clothes by Givenchy, Funny Face is as charming today as when it was first released in 1957.

http://feeds.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00lh1sd
zodkavombie

Postby zodkavombie » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:16 pm

Hi
This is for the lady who was sitting next to us in the disabled area, hope the weather did not make you ill, it was very bad but the spirits were up. :D
O2, 17th July and 13th November 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009, Barecelona 21 September 2009, Lille 25 September 2010, Las Vegas 10th and 11th December 2010, Wembley 9th September 2012, Paris 29th September 2012, O2 London 21st June, 15th September 2013.
sueandtony

Postby sueandtony » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:41 pm

Brilliant concert, I have waited 33 years to see Leonard live, have been a big fan since 1976 and loved every minute of it, despite the rain and the parking 'arrangements'. We loved it so much I went straight home and bought tickets for the Granada concert in Spain in Sept as we will be on hols out there then............well a short(ish) way from Granada, but who cares? It will be more than worth it, am hoping for a night under the Spanish stars rather than the British clouds this time.
somewhat_nifty

Postby somewhat_nifty » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:43 pm

imyourwoman wrote:
somewhat_nifty wrote:I was in A5 N and a couple of rows ahead were three girls with a banner - does anyone know what it said? (I couldn't read it in reverse!) Are you members here? Leonard looked like he saw it at one point!

In response to the First We Take Manhattan request above, I have an 'action' recording here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYEY-Td0npI
That was us! The banner says 'Len - i'm your woman'. It's the same banner that is briefly glimpsed on the Live in London DVD (we were in the front row for that concert and one of the cameramen filmed it). So now we take it to all of the gigs. I'm glad you thought Leonard saw it, it was hard to see from behind the banner!
hehe, great :D I'm sure he saw it the second time you waved it. I'll look out for it next time I watch Live in London...
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
hididdle

Postby hididdle » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:50 pm

I'd just like to add what a brilliant concert this was. At first I got really annoyed with everyone milling around. I'd paid to see Lenny not someones bum, but when some people left at the end it turned into a collective all singing all dancing appreciation thing.
I didn't even mind the venue.
Thank you Leonard
bene449

Postby bene449 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:58 pm

I only managed to read the first 2 pages of comments and had to stop due to endless parcelling on Ebay. For those who saw me at Weybridge, I was wearing the black "I'm your man" tshirt and LC hat. Before the show started, I was handing out leaflets with a picture of Lenny and the url to my website. The crowd were amazing and people were actually queing up for the leaflets.
I may be in the minority but I loved the venue. I like the crowd jumping up and down, and singing along with all the songs. Looking at the band, they seem to like this sort of crowd too. There is nothing worse than going to the O2 with each song being responded to by a polite clap.
This is the best I have seen Leonard perform. He actually laughed along to the sing song and the Webb Sisters were jumping up and down with joy. I managed to get about 3 yards from the stage and got some waves from Sharon Robinson. It rained but everyone knew it was going to rain. The car parks took ages to empty but isn't this the same at any arena. The queues for the toilets and refreshments were long, but isn't it the same at the O2. Surely, common sense would tell you that you should arrive early to avoid the entrance queues.
Those who arrived early were given the opportunity to visit the excellent Mercedes Museum.
Count your blessings and look at the positives. We were privileged to see one of Leonard's greatest concerts; there are many who would have loved to have been in our shoes. Many thanks to all the wonderful people who came to speak to me, especially the couple from Montreal.
Leonard, if you are looking for another tour date, choose the Mercedes Benz centre again. You will not get a crowd reaction like this anywhere else. Let me know first, so I can get my tickets first. You're simply the best!
My regards to Jarkko and his good lady, hope to see you again soon,

Vince
http://www.leonardcohencafe.co.uk
mnkyface

Postby mnkyface » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:58 pm

This is old news by now but I am just catching up on the Summer 09 threads and I am FREAKING OUT (seriously hyperventilating) about Lover, Lover, Lover in the sound check.
*thunk*
Could they be rehearsing it for the (possible) fall dates in NA?? Well, hopefully they will play it soon on the current leg too and we can see/hear on YouTube... I love that song and the mature voice adds so much.

So much great YouTube footage uploaded from Europe lately. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to do this.
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Postby Undertow » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:50 pm

Bene449, I remember you well my friend, I even had a video of you when you were dancing at the front near the stage during Tower of Song and security were giving us all trouble ;) You were the guy with the tshirt that said leonardcohencafe on the back yes?

However its a piss poor quality video so I wont upload it, its truly awful quality.
mydoglorca

Postby mydoglorca » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:58 am

- I'm your woman

We were just behind you and I was trying to decipher the banner too. I followed you to the front at the end. Which of you three called out 'Yes please!' during I'm your man?
1976 Bristol 1979 Birmingham 1988 RAH x 2, 1993 RAH x 2 & Madrid, 2008 Edinburgh, London O2, Cardiff, Bournemouth, RAH 17 Nov, Birmingham, Manchester 30 Nov, 2009 Weybridge, Liverpool, Dublin 19 & 20th,2010 September -Marseille, Tours, Lille, 2012 12 & 14 Aug Ghent,Wembley x22013 O2, Antwerp, Bournemouth, Manchester
Evie B

Postby Evie B » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:47 am

Isn't it strange that a night that had almost everying not going for it could turn out to be such a roaring success. The show was a triumph. Thanks to all those who posted recordings, I have enjoyed watching them time after time and probably will do for a long time, they are treasures. We were all comrades in adversity, including Leonard and the band who gave their all. Sorry to learn that Leonard has a cold now (from the Liverpoool reports), he must have been soaked to the skin.

We were in A5 Row R, seats 94 to 97, hello to all those who were around us.
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
imyourwoman

Postby imyourwoman » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:57 am

mydoglorca wrote:
We were just behind you and I was trying to decipher the banner too. I followed you to the front at the end. Which of you three called out 'Yes please!' during I'm your man?
That was my dark-haired friend who called out. But in doing so she spoke for all three of us. And I suspect a large proportion of the female audience as well!
D1054

Postby D1054 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:10 pm

Could I ask if any one made a note of the songs and in what order performed as I would be keen to know
Mike
mydoglorca

Postby mydoglorca » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:11 pm

I'm your woman wrote
But in doing so she spoke for all three of us. And I suspect a large proportion of the female audience as well!
I think I'm alot older than you. I remember seeing him in 1976 when he gave us his hotel & room number during the concert. I often think of those who were less well behaved than I was!! ;-)
1976 Bristol 1979 Birmingham 1988 RAH x 2, 1993 RAH x 2 & Madrid, 2008 Edinburgh, London O2, Cardiff, Bournemouth, RAH 17 Nov, Birmingham, Manchester 30 Nov, 2009 Weybridge, Liverpool, Dublin 19 & 20th,2010 September -Marseille, Tours, Lille, 2012 12 & 14 Aug Ghent,Wembley x22013 O2, Antwerp, Bournemouth, Manchester
imyourwoman

Postby imyourwoman » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:24 pm

mydoglorca wrote:
I think I'm alot older than you. I remember seeing him in 1976 when he gave us his hotel & room number during the concert. I often think of those who were less well behaved than I was!! ;-)
And you didn't take him up on it?!

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”