Barcelona Celebration 20 and 21-09-2009

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
BEATRIZ SALLES

Re: Barcelona Celebration 20 and 21-09-2009

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

This was my selection on one of my first posts:

CERVESERIA CATALANA Mallorca St/Rambla Catalunya
near hotel Majestic and others around Passeig de Gràcia.

EUSKAL ETXEA or TXACOLIN (same owner) Placeta de Montcada
basq style tapas, you take what you like in the bar at the end you count how many tapas you had and pay for them. To drink ask for wine, txacolí (white basq wine), basq cydar or beer.

PINOTXO and all the bars inside the Boqueria market for a tapas lunch or quick mail. Not comfortable but funny and good quality.

QUIMET & QUIMET, Poeta Cabanyes 25 near paral.lel, this is a true must, you won't find any tourist over there. It's an old wine & spirits store where Quimets prepares his very personal and original tapas.

CAL PEP plaça de les olles 8 (near Sta Maria del Mar) tel 933107961. Pep decides what you are going to have, let him do... Tapas and good fish.

DE TAPA MADRE http://www.detapamadre.com/
a couple of blocks from La Pedrera in Mallorca/Bruc

CIUTAD CONDAL Rambla de Catalunya/Gran Via very similar to Cerveseria Catalana.

I would prefer all this to Tapa Tapa.
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

Palau de la Musica

For those loving Modernisme, don't miss Palau de la Musica. Lovely Domenech Montaner master piece.
Guided visits every half an hour:
http://home.palaumusica.org/

Very nice cafe, quiet and with good tapas assortment. Wonderful place to have a breack from the noisy city.
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
Birdonawire

Post by Birdonawire »

Hi Womanfromaroom and Beatriz,

I'll PM/email you when I get settled into my hotel. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Eric.
New York (Joe's Pub), April 24th 2007 / Dublin, June 14th 2008 / Dublin, June 15th 2008 / New York, February 19th 2009 / Dublin, July 20th 2009 / Barcelona, September 21st 2009 / Sligo...here I come!
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

As promised these are my suggestions, they are all around the port/plaça Catalunya to make it easy for

TAPAS

CERVESERIA CATALANA Valencia St/Rambla Catalunya
near hotel Majestic and others aroun passeig de gràcia.
EUSKAL ETXEA or TXACOLIN (same owner) Placeta de Montcada
basq style tapas, you take what you like in the bar at the end you count how many tapas you had and pay for them. To drink ask for wine, txacolí (white basq wine), basq cydar or beer.
PINOTXO and all the bars inside the Boqueria market for a tapas lunch or quick mail. Not comfortable but funny and good quality.
QUIMET & QUIMET, Poeta Cabanyes 25 near paral.lel, this is a true must, you won't find any tourist over there. It's an old wine & spirits store where Quimets prepares his very personal and original tapas.
CAL PEP plaça de les olles 8 (near Sta Maria del Mar) tel 933107961. Pep decides what you are going to have, let him do... Tapas and good fish.

TRADITIONAL SPANISH AND CATALAN COOKING

CASA LEOPOLDO, Sant Rafael St 24 tel 934413014
My father's favourite. Long story in town. really good. Please go and leave with a taxi if you look like touirits,it's always better to prevent.
ESTEVET, Valldonzella 46 (near Ronda San Pedro) tel 933024186, curious place decorated with pictures of artists...
nice simple familiar cooking.
SENYOR PARELLADA, Argenteria 37 (Born quarter) 933105094
Heritates a long history family restaurant near Barcelona.
7 PORTES , Passeig Isabel II 14 TEL 933193032 very known and said to be the oldest in town. Good paellas.
AGUT, Gignés 16 (near via Laietana) 933151709. 75 years in town.
LA GARDUNYA just in the opposite main entrance of the Boqueria Market tel 933024323. More comfortable than bars inside the market.

FISH AND PAELLA RESTAURANTS
The first one is in the port and the rest at the Barceloneta, the old fishermen quarter of Barcelona. Try the rices, not only paella, black rice and lobster rice are tipically catalan. Parrillada is mixed grilled fish and zarzuela or suquet are sauced mixed fish, all delicious. Fresh Medditerranean fish is becoming luxurious and EXPENSIVE.

REIAL CLUB MARITIM DE BARCELONA Moll d'Espanya (in front of Maremagnum) tel 932216256 try to have the tables near the windows. If you go by night you will see the Mallorca ferry leaving from port.
CAN MAJÓ Almirall Aixada 23 tel 932215455. My father's favourite rice in town, paella, black rice or lobster rice. Take first a Pica-Pica, all kind of tapas-like in the middle of your table. Probably best deal than the others I suggest.
EL MERENDERO DE LA MARI Plaça Pau Vila. Palau de Mar tel 932216233. Very known. Terrasse on the sportive port.
SUQUET DE L'ALMIRALL Passeig Joan Borbó 65 tel 932216233
Also known.

I think I did a pretty good job, it's late now in Spain and even we are known for "siestas" I wake up at 6:30 in the morning and nothing about sleepin during my long worquing days. See you tomorrow
Bea
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

Some help and answers from a Barceloner
This is my first post.
First excuse me for my English, there's a long time I don't write, but anyway I wanted to give you some help as I have found lots of useful information for my next cruise on the Norwegian Jewel on July 30th.
I have tried to keep alltoguether your questions about my birth city.
I will give you some interesting links too.
The official tourist information:
http://www.catalunyaturisme.com then you can open BCN virtual.

CIGARS SHOPPING:

GIMENO: at the Ramblas 100, in front of the Boqueria market. Wonderful and historical. You can visit: http://www.gimenocigars.com

WINE SHOPPING:

CORTE iNGLES: you can try at the "club del gourmet" more exclusive or at the supermarket.
opens from 10:00 to 22:00.
You have three options:
-Plaça Catalunya
-Diagonal/Gran Via Carlos III (shopping bus line
or Maria Cristina metro stop line 3 green)
-Diagonal/plaça Francesc Macià (shopping bus line).

LAVINIA: spectacular and modern wine store on the Diagonal 605, just betwen Corte Inglés Diagonal and "La Illa" a good shopping center.
http://www.lavinia.es

LAFUENTE/COLMADO QUILEZ
Ferran, 20 the street from the Ramblas to the
Town Hall square (Sant Jaume)
Rambla Catalunya 63, you will enjoy this one, lots of history.
9 to 14h and 16:30 to 20:30 h.

I hope this will help.

An alternative tour for those willing to do sommething with less crowd:

From Via Laietana/Jaume I square, take Argenteria st to the Santa Maria del Mar Churh, this is my favourite, Beatiful gothic style without barroque decorations inside, wich is extremly rare. You will find your spirit fly there. Take the Passeig del Born and walk around all the little streets on your left. All the coolest designers and shops are there. There's also little restaurants to eat.
At the end you can take Montcada st. on your left. This is a borgeoisie st in the XV century, very nice. You can find 2 or 3 museums and art galleries. On the top the Picasso's Museum, even if you are not interested on modern paintries the building itself is wonderful. Nice and fresh restaurant too.
Then to finish the tour take Princesa st left that will bring you back to Via Laietana.

And Please, please and please again, don't eat or dirink at the Ramblas, it's expensive and bad, nothing to do with tapas or paella!!!

Not bad for my first time....
ispellit

Post by ispellit »

Wow! Beatrize, that's much better than any travelling guide I could have bought!

Thank you so much for your effort!

See you soon,
Kerstin
Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
Matthew 7,3
Judy

Post by Judy »

margaret wrote: I will be at the Toledano from Saturday evening, and Joe and Anne Way are already there. Daveeliver is also there from Friday night.
Margaret
We're staying in a "hotel appart" on the Carrer del Parlament de Catalunya from Friday night onwards ... hope it's not too far away from everyone else. Aloevera should be joining us on Saturday.

Looking forward to seeing you all and a million thanks to the people who are organising this. Luisa are you there? :) :D :D
zodkavombie

Post by zodkavombie »

Thank you all very much for all the information you have given us. Arriving on Saturday morning and getting very excited about meeting you all.
O2, 17th July and 13th November 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009, Barecelona 21 September 2009, Lille 25 September 2010, Las Vegas 10th and 11th December 2010, Wembley 9th September 2012, Paris 29th September 2012, O2 London 21st June, 15th September 2013.
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

We're staying in a "hotel appart" on the Carrer del Parlament de Catalunya from Friday night onwards ... hope it's not too far away from everyone else. Aloevera should be joining us on Saturday.

No problem, you are in a walking distance to Sala Vivaldi and a block from Metro, line 3 (green) that connects you with Las Ramblas and Plaza Catalunya in only 3-4 stops.
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

What is the easiest way to get to Hotel Oasis from the airport please, would prefer not to get a taxi. Many thanks
Suemerlyn

Post by Suemerlyn »

Sorry to be a pain, but I've been away a great deal recently and there are so many postson the Barcelona thread that I haven't had time to follow. I've got a bit lost about where to go to find you all!

I will arrive at the airport on Sunday evening around 9.30pm and want to go to the Cohen event that evening. Can someone please remind me where to go, as I will just go the the hotel in Las Ramblas and then out again to try to find you all? The name and address of the venue??

I'll try PM ing someone I know that's going and give you my mobile number, later today.
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

tinderella wrote:What is the easiest way to get to Hotel Oasis from the airport please, would prefer not to get a taxi. Many thanks
Easy!!
Take the Aerobus (http://www.bcn.es/turisme/english/turisme/welcome.htm) at the airport until the last stop at Plaza Catalunya.
Then two options, a short taxi ride (around 6-8€) or walk a block to URQUINAONA metro stop, take the yelow line and stop at BARCELONETA then again walk 5 min to Pla de Palau square.

Te aerobus works extremely well. You have a bus every 6-8 min.
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

Suemerlyn wrote:Sorry to be a pain, but I've been away a great deal recently and there are so many postson the Barcelona thread that I haven't had time to follow. I've got a bit lost about where to go to find you all!

I will arrive at the airport on Sunday evening around 9.30pm and want to go to the Cohen event that evening. Can someone please remind me where to go, as I will just go the the hotel in Las Ramblas and then out again to try to find you all? The name and address of the venue??

I'll try PM ing someone I know that's going and give you my mobile number, later today.
The Jorck concert on Sunday is at:

SALA VIVALDI
5 LLANÇA ST

To get there take the metro line 3 (green) at PLAZA CATALUNYA stop or LICEU stop (at Les Ramblas) direction to CIUTAT UNIVERSITARIA to ESPANYA stop (4-5 stops), then walk for 5 min to Sala Vivaldi.
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Beatriz.. thanks so much for all your help. I loved the vid clip on the link you sent. I cannot wait to see Barcelona for the first time :)
Happygirl

Post by Happygirl »

Hola everyone,

Just wondering if anyone else is flying with Aerlingus from Dublin on Saturday at 6.30pm? Can't wait for all the cohenite events and to visit my favourite cafes and tapas bars again (ahhhh Graciaaa), fingers crossed the weather is a bit warmer than here right now. Counting down the hours...

Hasta domingo! 8)
I lit a thin green candle {in Barcelona} to make you jealous of me
Dublin 13th July 08 - Lucca 27th July 08 - Dublin 19th, 20th, 22nd, 23rd July 09 - Barcelona 21st Sept 09 http://lifeisafestival.wordpress.com/

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”