London Dates?

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
tommylen

Re: London Dates?

Postby tommylen » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:45 am

Alan

Thanks.I didnt see that when i scanned the tour lists.
But you know what I mean.

The point is that in 2008 there were several concerts in central England and several in the south of England.
Thats great for the people there as they are in a better position to get to one.(Looks like they have more to come too)

However there is an eager audience in the north who are missing out.

Like Dave Richards I travelled to Edinburgh Glasgow and to Manchester for concerts.Im fortunate enough to be able to do that.

Travelling costs money and time and its simply not possible forthe vast majority of fans in say Thain or Inverness or Dornoch
to get to a concert.
It reads well when meet ups in Hydra or impulsive weekends away in Dublin are organised but for the ordinary fan its all pie in the sky.
The tour seems a little remote if your excluded.

My case is made on behalf of Cohen fans who look in here and wonder if they can join in.
Its a matter of bringing the show to the fans .
cpl593h

Postby cpl593h » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:35 am

didn't Jarrko say ages ago that a London date was NOT in the tentative tour schedule he had been shown? nor other UK dates, other than Liverpool already announced and - maybe - Godalming Mercedes Benz World if that comes back onto the list.

pretty sure he did say that
philw2008

Postby philw2008 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:28 pm

He's got a lot of free time around July though. I'd hope he'd do another couple of UK dates. RAH would be brilliant, please go there LC if you're watching.
A.Sukitu

Postby A.Sukitu » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:10 pm

... and July in London can be beautiful in the Parks ...

plus

(I never thought I'd say this:)

I'll return happily to the 02..... if Leonard returns there too ...

ps a few dates at the RAH would be preferable. better Parks nearby too.
"You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. ... You gave the injury a tongue to heal itself."
Leonard Cohen in Book of Mercy (1984) Ch. 19.
somewhat_nifty

Postby somewhat_nifty » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:02 pm

Geoff wrote:The Royal Albert Hall is almost impossible because it will host the BBC Proms every night between Friday 17 July and Saturday 12 September.
Can't believe I forgot that :roll: Obviously no chance of RAH then. Oh well, will be hoping for Weybridge, and it's only 20 mins out of Waterloo, so actually easier than getting out to the O2 on the Jubilee anyway :D
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
Kalevala

Postby Kalevala » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:53 am

RAH or Hammersmith Apollo would be better for me than O2. As every time there were words with a strong 'S' sound the speaker to my left went 'SSSSS' this for me killed some of the sounds that night.

If Leonard was to play somewhere like The Sands at Carlisle or The Brewery at Kendal then that would be something else! :D
real-alan

Postby real-alan » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:35 am

tommylen wrote:Alan

Thanks.I didnt see that when i scanned the tour lists.
But you know what I mean.

The point is that in 2008 there were several concerts in central England and several in the south of England.
Thats great for the people there as they are in a better position to get to one.(Looks like they have more to come too)

However there is an eager audience in the north who are missing out.

Like Dave Richards I travelled to Edinburgh Glasgow and to Manchester for concerts.Im fortunate enough to be able to do that.

Travelling costs money and time and its simply not possible forthe vast majority of fans in say Thain or Inverness or Dornoch
to get to a concert.
It reads well when meet ups in Hydra or impulsive weekends away in Dublin are organised but for the ordinary fan its all pie in the sky.
The tour seems a little remote if your excluded.

My case is made on behalf of Cohen fans who look in here and wonder if they can join in.
Its a matter of bringing the show to the fans .
Fair enough.... although I will take issue with the notion of "..impulsive weekends away in Dublin.." - there's plenty of us here in Ireland, to whom a concert in Dublin is not much different to a concert in Manchester to you if you live in the North of the UK! Although almost all of the posting on here is in the English language, don't assume that it's all English-centric ;-) ;-)

Having been involved (in a small way) in music promotion, I'd say that No.1 consideration is "will it sell"? Closely followed by logistical considerations... the notion of "fairness" is likely to be at the bottom of the list (if it's on there at all!) - like many, I've had to travel a good distance (to the UK from the West Coast... twice....). I'd love Leonard to do a show in my part of the world, but I accept it ain't gonna happen....
you may be right, I may be crazy.... but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for...

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah..... plenty
A.Sukitu

Postby A.Sukitu » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:04 pm

Alan -
I agree that "will it sell?" is a priority.
So I am still hoping for the 02, and hoping that AEG will read and hear my plea ...
"You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. ... You gave the injury a tongue to heal itself."
jarkko
Site Admin

Postby jarkko » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:19 pm

As far as we know there will be no concerts in London. But isn't Weybridge near enough?
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
curiousberyl

Postby curiousberyl » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:45 pm

curiousberyl wrote:
Melvyn wrote:
There is still the possibility of that date at MB World in Weybridge which is practically London.
I Live in Weybridge!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
See the new Thread 'Weybridge'

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14402&p=165223#p165068

It's not far from London, 30mins by train from Waterloo

http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/content ... endar.html

See you all there!

xxxx
Barbara

Dublin 1988
London O2 2008 x 2
Weybridge 2009
London Wembley Arena 2012
hydriot

Postby hydriot » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:34 pm

The problem is that Weybridge is open air, and in recent years Britain has been very wet in July (including floods!) I would prefer an enclosed London venue.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
Mordy

Postby Mordy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:26 pm

Quite agree, Hydriot. After a wet and miserable evening at the Diana Krall concert at Kenwood last August - all due to the rain and cold, I'm very cautious about outside gigs in this country. Perhaps the BBC could put on a Leonard Cohen prom as part of the season at the Albert Hall??
somewhat_nifty

Postby somewhat_nifty » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:14 pm

It's not looking encouraging for July according to long range forecasts (but when could you ever rely on a British summer?). Oh well, a bit of rain never hurt anyone :lol:
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
curiousberyl

Postby curiousberyl » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:29 pm

somewhat_nifty wrote:It's not looking encouraging for July
I've just had a look at your link

It says:
Summer
June
Current indications are that Summer 2009 is likely to start on a cool and wet note, with below average temperatures and rainfall totals quite a way above usual seasonal amounts expected in places during June. July is currently shown to be a drier month though.
So it may not be hot, but it should be dry - though how they can actually predict that in April is beyond me - they can't usually predict more than a day or two with any level of accuracy
Barbara

Dublin 1988
London O2 2008 x 2
Weybridge 2009
London Wembley Arena 2012
A.Sukitu

Postby A.Sukitu » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:15 pm

... so much for my staying in the present ....

How about the RAH or 02 on the way back in September???

(Lullaby sounds gorgeous (see thread in News section. Maybe there will be many more new songs on show by then?)

nb All Bests for a happy time in Weybridge to those who go there .. it is too difficult for me, sadly; I look forward to reading the reports!

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”