Questions and Answers concerning The Event, Poland etc.

The Krakow Event - before and after
Mirek

Re: Questions and Answers concerning The Event, Poland etc.

Post by Mirek »

hydriot wrote:
Mirek wrote:The country is as safe as Germany, France or England.
This is untrue. Poland is safer than England ... and a great deal more hospitable.
Thank you very much for these kind words, friend. Yes, Polish people are hospitable and very open.

Mirek
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

liptrot wrote:Hi Mirek
I have a couple of queries which I hope you will be able to help with
Firstly my wife and I will fly if need be but we were thinking of travelling to Europe by Eurostar would we then be able to get to Kracow by train for the rest of the journey
Travelling by train could be an interesting experience. The link provided by mydoglorca is a good choice. "Jan Kiepura" sleeper car is very comfortable (alas, not as fast as Eurostar), and the connections between Warsaw and Krakow are very good, too.
You may also think about a stopover in Warsaw or other Polish city.
Secondly once there we will need to eat obviously so could you give advice on whether there are certain areas and places to go to find restaurants
I am pretty sure our Krakow friends from the committee will provide you with an excellent choice of good restaurants and other places where you could experience the famous Polish cuisine.

Mirek
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

liptrot wrote:would we then be able to get to Kracow by train for the rest of the journey
There's an overnight sleeper service between Krakow and Berlin which I have used (presumably Berlin to Krakow is also available). It was perfectly acceptable, though there was no food on board so bring your own. What I liked about it was that it was only a little more expensive than a hotel room, so effectively I travelled for eight hours almost free.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
goldstei

Post by goldstei »

LOT Polish Airlines has very reasonably priced flights which some folks might want to look into--for example, between Krakow and Warsaw, Warsaw and Prague, Warsaw and Riga, etc. They have special discounts for "seniors" (I believe defined as 62 or orver, but maybe it's 60) and, with these discounts the prices are often absurdly cheap--cheaper than train between Krakow and Warsaw, for example (about $40 US compared to about $60 US). For people thinking about doing some travel in the Baltics to or fro Poland (I highly recommend Riga and Tallinn, both medieval jewels like Krakow), Baltic Air has some crazily cheap flights, also. The Baltic Air flights are only available on their website; not sure about LOT.
margaret

Post by margaret »

liptrot wrote:Hi Mirek

Secondly once there we will need to eat obviously so could you give advice on whether there are certain areas and places to go to find restaurants
I visited in May this year and Tom Sakic recommended a locally produced guide book published about every 2 months.
Bought locally, it is a fraction of the price of a normal guide book and is an excellent publication for any tourist wanting to see main attractions, eat in good, or offbeat places or visit some unusual attractions.
see http://www.krakow.inyourpocket.com
click on Krakow on the list on the left for a sample of the content.

we successfully tried out a few eateries from the guide :)

Margaret
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

if you will let, that I will interject the word. It is in Cracow more safely than in my rather small port city.
I walked with night (of course more or less in the centre), alone and I met no danger ( at oneself with night I wouldn't walk )

I am greeting everyone !
1985/2008/2010/2013/Always
margaret

Post by margaret »

I hope to visit somewhere else in Poland for a couple of days after the Cohen Event.

Can someone advise me the best way to get to Zakopane or Warsaw from Krakow?

margaret
kaz

Post by kaz »

margaret wrote:I hope to visit somewhere else in Poland for a couple of days after the Cohen Event.

Can someone advise me the best way to get to Zakopane or Warsaw from Krakow?

margaret
Hi Margaret,
Coach journey is the best way to get to Zakopane.It takes approx. 2 hr.
One way ticket costs about 20 zloty.
In case of Warsaw ,express train would be the best way, 3 hr, 100 zloty or less.
1 GBP= 4.50 zloty /03.12.2009/
kaz,
1985:Zabrze 2008:Dublin x 2 /London O2/Praha/Wroclaw/
:Bratislava/2010:Katowice/Bratislava./2013:Lodz/Vienna
goldstei

Post by goldstei »

there are also very cheap flıghts from warsaw to krakow vıa LOT polısh aırlınes
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi Bob,

Excuse me but what are you doing on this thread when you are in Istanbul???? Get some sleep and let me know how you are enjoying yourself. Btw...snow showers tonight and verrrry cold and windy. Have another double espresso at the outdoor cafe, and let the sun sink in!

Di
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Greetings, as I have not been to a fan event before I would like to know if anything is usually arranged for Friday, afternoon or evening, or does it really start on Saturday . This information would help me decide whether to book a flight for Thursday or Friday. :?:
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

TipperaryAnn wrote:Greetings, as I have not been to a fan event before I would like to know if anything is usually arranged for Friday, afternoon or evening, or does it really start on Saturday . This information would help me decide whether to book a flight for Thursday or Friday. :?:
Hi TipperarryAnn
Not sure about this event but having attended the last three at New York , Berlin and Edmonton I can say the "party" usually starts on friday with things organised from early morning . We are arriving in Kracow on Thursday evening to be sure we do not miss anything and anyway Kracow is a beautiful city so there will be plenty to do and see . See you there !
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

The committee will also arrange tours before and after the Event days. It would be a good idea to take one or two extra days - to make sure you have time to go to Auschwitz and also to the underground salt city. And Krakow itself has a lot to offer!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Thanks, Yorkshirelad and Jarkko. Sounds like good advice !
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Because of rescheduling of LC concerts, I no longer wish to attend the event in Krakow, for wnich I have paid a deposit, refundable until March. How do I cancel this deposit and get refund ? :?:
P. S. No replies on this thread, ( was surprised that there was still no indication of when organised events are taking place, as requested by Wendy. ) Anyway,
Sebastion is now looking after my request. A pity , especially as only 50 % refund is available; in view of the unforeseen changes to schedule, and losses already incurred, a full refund would seem more fair! However, as I cannot do both Leonard concert in Sept. and fan event in August , I must choose Leonard !! Naturally....
Last edited by TipperaryAnn on Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:47 am, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Krakow 2010”