SPRINGSTEEN vs. COHEN

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
patri

Re: SPRINGSTEEN vs. COHEN

Post by patri »

Much thanks to all and the encouragement to "kidnap" the girl and get her to see LC if I have to!
I agree- if only because of her love of music- and the possibility of her involvement in it ( she has a great voice herself ) that IMHO she really HAS to see LC while she still has the chance.

That being said- possibly because she really liked- and I think even more so- amazed by Springsteen last night ( it was a great show! ) that she may take my advice and go- she now is saying- she has to make sure she doesn't have something already planned- a friend from out of town. She is considering it tho- and I will do as suggested- throw a copy of LC's live to her.
and maybe try to re-enforce- like Bruce with the E-Street this go around- This LC concert will be amazing in a different way- and probably a once in a lifetime chance.

much thanks for the support in pushing her!!!

pat
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Good on you, Pat, for expanding her music horizons. She oughta be trusting your excellent taste and judgement about now... those out-of-towners can always reschedule. Leonard can't [or won't be] ~ whichever, she cannot risk missing him.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
negrilmark

Post by negrilmark »

I saw Bruce twice this week in Philly. He is still an amazing performer at close to Age 60. His bond with the audience and energy level are unparalleled.I am seeing Leonard Cohen for the first time in Philly on May 12. In my mind, I am in store for one of the greatest musical experiences of my life. The devotion that Leonard receives from his fans speaks volumes about what he means to them, and the powerful impact he has had on their lives. Very similar to the devotion and bond that Bruce has with his fans.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

negrilmark,

Bruce has always been in my 'top 5 best performers you must see live' list. Because of his, as you said 'energy level', and interaction with the audience, he creates a phenomenal chemistry. LC's concerts take it to a whole different level - mesmerizing is a somewhat inadequate way to put it. Will be looking for your review of the Philly concert!

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
alga

Post by alga »

This was a vey fortunate year for me. I had the opportunity to attend concerts of Springsteen and Dylan in 2008 in Montreal and the highlight was definitely Leonard Cohen's concert in June at the Place des Arts. He was definitely the Boss that night. I will be seeing him in Quebec City on May 21.

Here is a link to Springsteen and the 1967 Castilles, before the E-Street Band, performing Suzanne:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdWBtv7PUrQ

Enjoy and see you all in Qc City

Alga
findingtime

Post by findingtime »

Well this is interesting. The Boss does Leonard. That encourages me to recount a recent rumination.

My girlfriend and I saw the 2009 Tour opener in Austin. Springsteen was coming four days later and I briefly considered buying tickets before deciding it was too much to spend on live shows in one week and, besides, I saw the Boss back in the 80s when he was at his peak. Anyway, we got to comparing shows and discussing the impossibility of isolating a "best show." After all, how do you compare Bruce to Miles to Dylan to The Stones to The Who (1971) to Van Morrison to Leonard '09 et cetera, et cetera. We then thought, what if Leonard and Bruce switched repetoires for a tour and, with their own bands, interpreted each others' songs? There are many Bruce songs which come to mind that the current Cohen ensemble could perform "immaculately" and no doubt the E Streeters could uncork some mighty Cohen covers.

It's not going to happen, but it's fun to imagine. The "Suzanne" cover by the Castilles provides further thought provocation.
i'msuzanne

Post by i'msuzanne »

The Boss is in Albany tonight, but I'm on my way to Waterbury from my Albany home!
negrilmark

Post by negrilmark »

I saw Leonard for the first time in Philly last week. Last night I saw Bruce in DC for the 90th time. No comparison, I would have to pick Leonard Cohen over Bruce. Leonard Cohen's show was incredible, whereas Bruce is now just average.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Negrilmark,

What wonderful news! I had soooo been hoping you would find this to be the case - am breathing easier now after all your ecstatic remarks re: Springsteen.

That said, Springsteen still stays in my 'Top 5 concerts to see' :D . Even so, no one comes close to LC :D .

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”