Looking forward to Los Angeles

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
surfergirl

Looking forward to Los Angeles

Postby surfergirl » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:35 am

Just getting this thread started in anticipation . . . :lol:
I was cautioned to surrender, this I could not do . . . .
ClaremontKid

Re: CONCERT REPORT: LOS ANGELES, 4/10 & 4/11

Postby ClaremontKid » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:43 am

I'll be there Saturday. I wonder if anyone will be going both nights...
Ah you loved me as a loser, but now you're worried that I just might win...
stellablueee

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Los Angeles, April 10 & 11

Postby stellablueee » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:51 pm

i'm meeting a couple of folks from here at the redwood bar before the show around 5pm (2nd and Hill streets) in case anyone else here wants to join us.
as far as saturday's show, i'm leaving it open (Gary Louris, Mark Olson and Teddy Thompson are at Largo and i want to hear that show too) in case i have so much fun tonight that i HAVE to go saturday, but i've only purchased for tonight.

can't wait!!
lisa
surfergirl

Postby surfergirl » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:07 pm

I'm going both nights. It's supposed to rain in LA later today, and the redwood is pretty far from the venue, so be careful!
POZEST

Postby POZEST » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:23 pm

I have never seen Leonard Cohen live before. Tonight (4/10) will be my first time.

I hear this current tour is something short of wonderful. Something that transcends awe and amazement.

I feel like a kid that is about to go to some Disneyland or other kid place for his first time.

Music moves me. Music lifts me. I so eagerly await the evening because I believe I'm in store for something very special.

As someone in a thread posted, see this show even if you are economically strapped. I tell myself the opportunity may not be there next time. That is how I came to obtain tickets last Sunday. For a good 10 years I've been curious about Leonard Cohen and have wanted to see him live. After having travelled to Florida for a concert last week, I knew I would be having a couple of stay at home weekends.. however, I still opted to go to this show. The opportunity may not be there next time.
stellablueee

Postby stellablueee » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:45 pm

yeah, it's looking like rain, and it's a 1.5 mile trek, so i might have to pass on the redwood. i'm going to park and do what someone else suggested, walk around till i pass out/find a place....
i can scope out the scene for saturday, hahaha
surfergirl

Postby surfergirl » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:25 am

The LA LIve complex (where the Nokia is located) has a number of bars/restaurants that are now open. They are: Yardhouse (right next door to the Nokia Theatre), which is a good spot for drinks and appetisers; The Farm of Beverly Hills; ESPN Zone (for the sports fan); Lawry's; Fleming's Prime Steak House & Wine Bar; and Boca at the Conga Room. Or Starbucks.

Keep in mind that in this outdoor complex there are TWO Nokia's -- the Nokia Theatre, which is the larger venue across from the Staples Center and located on the ground floor of the complex (this is the one where LC will play); and Club Nokia, located on the third floor of the complex above Lucky Strike bowling alley. The latter is NOT where the concert is located!
ClaremontKid

Postby ClaremontKid » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:27 am

@SurferGirl

You will have to let know what differences you see between the two performances this weekend.
Ah you loved me as a loser, but now you're worried that I just might win...
micropup2008

Postby micropup2008 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:41 am

Hey we went to Berlin to see him figuring that at his age we might not ever get another chance. :D We're now going again in Oakland, my wife and I to the first show, and me alone to the 2nd.
POZEST wrote:I have never seen Leonard Cohen live before. Tonight (4/10) will be my first time.

I hear this current tour is something short of wonderful. Something that transcends awe and amazement.

I feel like a kid that is about to go to some Disneyland or other kid place for his first time.

Music moves me. Music lifts me. I so eagerly await the evening because I believe I'm in store for something very special.

As someone in a thread posted, see this show even if you are economically strapped. I tell myself the opportunity may not be there next time. That is how I came to obtain tickets last Sunday. For a good 10 years I've been curious about Leonard Cohen and have wanted to see him live. After having travelled to Florida for a concert last week, I knew I would be having a couple of stay at home weekends.. however, I still opted to go to this show. The opportunity may not be there next time.
Ron
MKB

Postby MKB » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:34 am

Met Slim Jim (pozest) on this venue he traded me a ticket for tonight just to give him a ride. He's even buying me dinner and beers what a great guy!
We are at Redwood getting primed, it's Jimmy's first LC show. I am a grizzled veteran with one whole LC show in me (Tue in SD).
Who wouldn't drive from SD to LA and back for this? I will try like a lunatic for a ticket for tomorrow too

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”