Are the concerts actually starting on time?

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
surfergirl

Are the concerts actually starting on time?

Post by surfergirl »

For those who have already gone -- what time was on your ticket and what time did the show actually start?
I was cautioned to surrender, this I could not do . . . .
Satchel

Re: Are the concerts actually starting on time?

Post by Satchel »

In Dallas, ticket said 8pm...show started about 8:10pm...one 20 min break and the show was over at 11:30.
benning

Post by benning »

According to my cell phone, Leonard came onstage at 7:59 for the 8:00 pm Beacon Theatre show. I remember he was onstage right at 8:00 in Toronto, but there was a delay in Amsterdam.
Detour

Post by Detour »

I think the issue with the Grand Prairie (Dallas) show starting late was traffic. We left Oklahoma City with plenty of time to get there, and should have arrived at the venue between 5:30 & 6:00, but due to accidents involving fatalities on the highways in the area we barely got there in time to get our tickets and get to our seats by 8:00. We had allowed extra time for traffic issues in the Dallas area, but we didn't allow enough time for the serious accidents we saw. I think others were delayed even worse than we were and that might be the reason for the bit of late start.
yrfuneralmytrial

Post by yrfuneralmytrial »

It was pretty amazing how the Dallas show went from "Where is everyone?" to packed within the final 10 minutes. By the way, my watch read 8:05 at show start.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

All the shows I went to last year (Canada + Europe) + the Beacon started pretty well spot on time. There may have been the odd one which started a few minutes late but that was the exception rather than the rule.

Why would you ask this question?? The only legitimate reason I can think of is if you genuinely can't get away early enough to be certain of being there well before the 8.00 pm start. For everyone else, PLEASE get there in plenty of time and allow for traffic snarl ups. It would be travesty to miss the first few songs. Even if this doesn't bother you, it is simply not fair on all those people who were there in plenty of time to spoil their enjoyment of the opening numbers whilst you find your seats then disturb other concert goers to get to them.

Wendy
surfergirl

Post by surfergirl »

@ Wendy:

You obviously don't live in Los Angeles. ;-)

Friday night rush hour traffic in L.A., particular from and to downtown, where the venue is located, is brutal. And I work on the Westside, meaning even when I have my dream road (maximum speed, no accidents), it takes 30 minutes from point A to point B, and another 20 minutes to park and get to the venue. Then, if I want to get a bite to eat and a drink before going into the venue (Nokia's food/drink is very limited and expensive), I need to factor in waiting for a table during Friday night happy hour in downtown LA (not a pretty sight!), ordering food/drink, and consuming it. There's a new bar/restaurant practically next to the place called the Yard House, and it can get pretty packed.

Because I HATE being late, I asked because I have to factor in all of these scenarios, including the likelihood a traffic accident en route.

For Sat. night (I'm going to both) I likewise had made plans to meet at my home at 5:30 p.m. to leave for the 8 p.m. concert with time to get some nosh and drinks and settle down before the show. I was concerned that I might be pushing it or, alternatively, leaving way too early. While this works for the Sat. show, if I started out at 5:30 Friday night, I'd never be there on time.

Hope this answers your question to your satisfaction. :lol:
I was cautioned to surrender, this I could not do . . . .
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

surfergirl wrote:@ Wendy:

You obviously don't live in Los Angeles. ;-) :
You're right, I don't ... but we have plenty of traffic chaos of our own and our very own 10 lane car park, sorry, freeway, called the M25, so I have a little clue of what you are up against. The best you can do - as you obviously are - is to plan ahead.
surfergirl wrote:
Then, if I want to get a bite to eat and a drink before going into the venue (Nokia's food/drink is very limited and expensive), I need to factor in waiting for a table during Friday night happy hour in downtown LA (not a pretty sight!), ordering food/drink, and consuming it.
Isn't this the one time when fast food comes in to its own??? Personally if I was pushed for time, I'd grab a subway on the way in and eat it in the car before going in to the concert. Oh well, each to their own. (Actually, being a Brit, I would probably either buy a sandwich at Marks & Sparks or make one at home and take it with me in a Tupperware along with a couple of pieces of fruit)

Hope you enjoy the show anyway!

W
ChrystinP

Post by ChrystinP »

Dallas 8:05 per my watch (correct time) and cell phone. The staff were scurrying around telling folks that he was starting promptly at 8PM and if you weren't in your seat at that time you couldn't be seated except during a song break. And they held to that standard. There was not a lot of movement of comings and goings. People would leave at any time(not too many), but folks weren't allowed back until a break. I for one appreciated the distractions being kept to a minimum while the sublime confection was taking place on stage.

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”