anyone else get an e-mail?

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Walsh75

anyone else get an e-mail?

Post by Walsh75 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:56 pm

Just got a very early e-mail reminder from Ticketmaster about the Leonard Cohen show in Detroit for May.

It informed me that that the show will start right on time and there will be no opening act. They suggest I make sure to arrive early.

I got scared at first that it was going to tell me the show and/or tour was canceled or my ticket wasn't valid.

Then at the bottom of that statement, this made me laugh. There was a notice saying the contents of the e-mail were intended to be confidential. If it happened to be sent to the wrong person, it told them not to even read it and then delete right of way.

It also warned me not to copy it or forward it on to anyone else. LOL..

Silly. But fair is fair. That's why I didn't copy and paste it to post it here. With my bad luck, I would have been held accountable if I did.
KaimiK

Re: anyone else get an e-mail?

Post by KaimiK » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:11 pm

I just received the exact same e-mail, but for the April 23 Seattle show. Guess they want us all there on time? Gee, I'd planned on waltzing in 20 minutes late!
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
Walsh75

Post by Walsh75 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:25 pm

Yeah. And after all the wait and mess over getting tickets, I "sure" hope I don't forget about going to the concert on May 9. LOL.

Keeping my fingers crossed, but I've never been late going to a show. I'm obsessive in being hours early because you never know what could get in the way going to a show.

Some people may say it's not fair to keep comparing him to Van Morrison but it seems like a like of the same pattern here. Van is always on time. Everything I heard about LC he always is too. But with Van, he wouldn't allow any booze to be sold at any of his shows and he didn't want ppl needlessly getting out of their seats to go to the bathroom or for smoke breaks.

No lie. The ushers told people at the last VM show that they had to wait for the song to be over then be quick and keep their heads down getting up back and forth to the bathroom if they needed to go inbetween songs.
mirka

Post by mirka » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:38 pm

I got such an useless e-mail as well, it doesn't even say what show is it about, no date, no time :roll: :!:
It's just a text:
Hello, this is Ticketmaster Customer Service with an important alert on behalf of the Leonard Cohen Tour.
IMPORTANT NEWS ABOUT THE LEONARD COHEN PERFORMANCE:
Please be aware that the show will promptly begin at the scheduled start time and there is NO opening act. We encourage you to arrive early. Thank you.
Thank you for using Ticketmaster. We appreciate your business!
They are not only greedy, but dumb as well. :shock:
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:01 am

I am all for these e-mails. If only people would read them! I was sat at the end of a row at the Beacon and there were still people arriving late for most of the first half of the show. I'm tryin to listen and they're having a debate about where their seats are. Then when they've worked it out they go and disturb someone else who is also trying to listen as they try to get to their seats. I know some people are unavoidably late - late trains, traffic, work commitments etc but I'm sure the vast majority could make the show in plenty of time if they tried.

Rant over! Of course, I know it wouldn't apply to anyone here. You'd all be trying to listen in rapt attention, like me!

Wendy
sue7

Post by sue7 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:54 am

I got the same email for the Radio City May 16 show.
Does anyone have any ideas about how early those of us with "will call" tickets are going to have to get there? A couple of people have reported being able to pick up their tickets early, and I've thought about giving it a try at the box office, but in case I don't manage to get them, I have no idea how many people will be waiting in line for those tickets.
Walsh75

Post by Walsh75 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:33 am

Yikes! I forgot all about the will call deals.

The only upside of this whole ordeal was I got my ticket on "general release" day from TM.com and they will put it in the mail so I can avoid the rest.

I gotta a bad feeling in my gut that before showtime on May 9, The Fox will be a real clusterfrick. They way they have the T-shirt stand always set up is bad enough on it's own and I'm sure I'll want to buy two shirts.. I always buy stuff from certain events before the show (if I know a show as it is will be a hot sellar) in case stuff sells out.
surfergirl

Post by surfergirl » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:46 am

I received this email for the L.A. show, and I wouldn't call it "silly". While most performing artists wait a half an hour (at least!) so everyone can make it in and get seated, there are a few performers, such as Van Morrison, who start precisely at the time stated, no messing around.

This prompt start times can be a real challenge when attending a show in Los Angeles, since we are at the whim of traffic, presidential visits (I saw the motorcade this morning!), and what-not.

Thus, for me, I do appreciate receiving an email such as this, since I can then prepare accordingly. If you've ever tried to get to downtown Los Angeles (where the Nokia is located) from the westside on a FRIDAY, well, you will understand how appreciative I am.
I was cautioned to surrender, this I could not do . . . .
Walsh75

Post by Walsh75 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:11 am

What I meant by "silly" was the disclaimer acting like it was top secret government business that needed to be deleted and destroyed if it got into the wrong hands.
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:26 am

sue7 wrote:I got the same email for the Radio City May 16 show.
Does anyone have any ideas about how early those of us with "will call" tickets are going to have to get there? A couple of people have reported being able to pick up their tickets early, and I've thought about giving it a try at the box office, but in case I don't manage to get them, I have no idea how many people will be waiting in line for those tickets.
I can't get mine that early as I'm flying in the day before, I was planning to go around lunchtime on the day to collect, just to avoid any possible delays later!

I had to LOL at the email though - I'm one of those people who's always at least half an hour early for everything anyway, it has saved my neck on many an occasion (like turning up at the wrong exam hall at university :roll: )
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”