Ticket prices!

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Brrrzzz
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:38 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Disgusting Ticket prices!

Post by Brrrzzz » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:28 pm

Cate wrote:
substance wrote:ummm, out of curiosity, does anyone else out here feel like they're being RAPED by Ticketmaster?
Not really, no but I suppose you meant ripped off. Again I would say no.

I'm going to Kingston (knock on wood) and very excited to be going there. I love Kingston, it's such a beautiful city. Any excuse to spend a weekend is fantastic so when I saw it was a tour location I was overjoyed and immediately booked a room. The k-rock centre is only a year old - I've never seen anything there but I know when they built it they wanted it to be a performance centre as well as sports place. I have to admit that I hope there's no Pizza Pizza signs but I'm not sure I'd notice after the first 5 min.
Because of this post, I decided to try for tickets to the Kingston concert instead of Ottawa. I'd rather not attend a concert in an arena either - but I went to the Leonard Cohen concert in Munich and that was in an arena, and it was fantastic! The pre-show sound check apparently can last for hours (I guess it's no secret that LC is a perfectionist), and the sound technicians are the best.

So I've got two decent tickets for the Kingston show . . . can't wait!!!
Well, never mind. We are ugly, but we have the music.
Irish22
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:02 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Disgusting Ticket prices!

Post by Irish22 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:29 pm

As Jarkko said, the $689 tickets in Ottawa was for the VIP package..and were not available in the pre-sale. Orchestra were $250..balcony $125. I snared a couple for the 2nd night. The acoustics at the NAC are fabulous..so this will be an amazing show!
Give me back my broken night ....
dnotman
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:19 am

Re: Disgusting Ticket prices!

Post by dnotman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:30 pm

if most of the money goes directly to Cohen, I'm fine with it
otherwise ticketmaster is no one's pal
User avatar
Patrycja
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:55 pm

Re: Ticket prices!

Post by Patrycja » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the board and just got an excellent seat to the Hamilton concert. I chose 'best available' just to see what would come up and for how much and was surprised to get one on the floor, centre, for a very good price (way closer to the $98 range than to the $500+ range). Beginner's luck, I guess.... Wishing you all an equally lucky lot with ticketmaster

Patrycja
Will... If It Be Your Will
User avatar
Patrycja
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:55 pm

Re: Disgusting Ticket prices!

Post by Patrycja » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:50 pm

Irish22 wrote:As Jarkko said, the $689 tickets in Ottawa was for the VIP package..and were not available in the pre-sale. Orchestra were $250..balcony $125. I snared a couple for the 2nd night. The acoustics at the NAC are fabulous..so this will be an amazing show!
The NAC is quite an intimate venue as well. I saw Zubin Mehta conduct there last October and you're right, the acoustics were wonderful. Not sure what Copps is like in terms of sound, fingers crossed it's decent
Will... If It Be Your Will
Flashpan
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 2:56 am

Re: Ticket prices!

Post by Flashpan » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:06 pm

VIP package was available in Ottawa... I bought two. However, I have no idea what is included.
gothowens
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Ticket prices!

Post by gothowens » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:55 pm

$128 US per ticket in Detroit - main floor, right of center, 20th row. I am happy if it supports a comfortable retirement for Mr. Cohen.
substance
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 8:05 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Ticket prices!

Post by substance » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:53 am

I originally intended on going to Hamilton to see Cohen but after some thought, I've decided against it. I will wait for the announcement of a possible Toronto show in the near future and decided then, depending on the venue (here's hoping it's not the ACC!) and it's asking price.
The Hamilton show is a poor choice of venue, but also ticket prices are way too high! I had seen him in Toronto last year and since the shows vary only by a song or two, I will also get my next live Cohen fix off the CD/DVD soon to be released. Had ticket prices been cheaper or a change in set list for the second leg of the tour, I would feel much different.
I would also feel different if perhaps on the second leg of the tour featured Anjani or Sharon Robinson presenting their new material as an opening act! :D

on a side note...
in 2005, I saw John Cale 3 nights in a row (different set list each night, mixing acoustic and electric interpretations of his material) at a very small salsa lounge here in Toronto, $25 each night, no service charge fee, totally up to $75... on the third night, met him and his band due to the small and intimate venue, and they put me on guest list for a gig in Waterloo that same week! I also saw Depeche Mode at the ACC for $112, including Ticketmaster's service charge. Not that I am comparing these artists to Cohen (you really CAN'T compare Cohen!), their talent, or one over the other, but even then, my choice of seeing John Cale 3 nights in a row was made simply by the cost of the tickets! I could see 3 nights of Cale in a small setting for EVEN CHEAPER than one night of Depeche Mode at the ACC! Made me think differently.
substance.
asandor
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:18 am

Re: Ticket prices!

Post by asandor » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:09 am

I paid $325 for two mid range tickets in Vancouver where the chosen venue is GM Place ;this is a great venue ...for hockey and Celine etc. but a terrible venue for Leonard Cohen. Most people I know would have paid more to hear him in a smaller venue such as the Orpheum or Queen Elizabeth Theatre . However, I'm sure all the venues will be sold out anyway.
asandor
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:18 am

Re: Disgusting Ticket prices!

Post by asandor » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:21 am

Patrycja wrote:
Irish22 wrote:As Jarkko said, the $689 tickets in Ottawa was for the VIP package..and were not available in the pre-sale. Orchestra were $250..balcony $125. I snared a couple for the 2nd night. The acoustics at the NAC are fabulous..so this will be an amazing show!
The NAC is quite an intimate venue as well. I saw Zubin Mehta conduct there last October and you're right, the acoustics were wonderful. Not sure what Copps is like in terms of sound, fingers crossed it's decent
From Vancouver...If I lived back east I would grab the chance to hear him at the NAC which has great acoustics and is a concert hall with good sightlines and comfortable seats. It is not a made over hockey arena , with concrete everywhere and seats that the beer can be hosed off... like the venue in Vancouver.
Cate
Posts: 3464
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:27 am

Re: Disgusting Ticket prices!

Post by Cate » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:21 pm

Brrrzzz wrote:
Because of this post, I decided to try for tickets to the Kingston concert instead of Ottawa. I'd rather not attend a concert in an arena either - but I went to the Leonard Cohen concert in Munich and that was in an arena, and it was fantastic! The pre-show sound check apparently can last for hours (I guess it's no secret that LC is a perfectionist), and the sound technicians are the best.

So I've got two decent tickets for the Kingston show . . . can't wait!!!
Well I certainly hope you enjoy it then!!!
cubicquinn
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:33 pm

Re: Ticket prices!

Post by cubicquinn » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:45 pm

I bought tickets for Kingston, at $53 each. Yes, it's an arena, but there really isn't a bad seat in the house! I saw LC last year in Toronto, at the Sony Centre. That's probably why he isn't coming back to TO, he's been there, done that. 3 shows, too, if memory serves me right. My seats were terrible, I felt like I was looking at the top of his head. Bad seats or good, he was still incredible. I just feel lucky to have him come to Kingston at all! I checked at 8pm last night and there were still preseats available, too. I suspect that it might have to do with this venue not using Ticketmasters to sell their tickets.
Sochijava
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:05 am
Location: Ottawa

Re: Ticket prices!

Post by Sochijava » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:51 pm

There are $68 seats available at the NAC - given the quality of the venue - a great price I think. They are not fabulous seats, but there really are no 'bad' seats at the NAC. Obviously the $698 or whatever for the VIP seats is obscene.

Paula
Toronto June 6 2008; Ottawa May 25 & 26 2009; Las Vegas 11 December 2010; Montreal 2012; Ottawa 2012; Kingston 2012.
da2008
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:01 pm

Re: Ticket prices!

Post by da2008 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:20 pm

Sochijava wrote:There are $68 seats available at the NAC - given the quality of the venue - a great price I think. They are not fabulous seats, but there really are no 'bad' seats at the NAC. Obviously the $698 or whatever for the VIP seats is obscene.

Paula
actually those are pretty good seats. much better than the back of the floor - that's for sure.
Post Reply

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”