Beacon Concert Update

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
showin1990

Re: Beacon Concert Update

Post by showin1990 »

You guys are making me nervous. Can't I just show up a little around 7:30 and see Leonard? Eeegads. It's not like it's going to be a bunch of young kids holding lighters and standing, is it?
CohenFan08

Post by CohenFan08 »

No, but you will probably run into a bunch of old folks that need to pee every 15 minutes or so ;-)

People will get up for drinks, people will use the restroom - fact of life.
Actually

Post by Actually »

That's why I prefer GA shows to seated ones. Nobody is standing in front of you then...
But I don't want to be a whiner, I'm sure it will be great 8)
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

maxwild wrote:Also be aware that all NY concerts are renowned for latecomers and "non-true fans" getting up and down to go to the bar/bathroom/who the hell knows where at any time, including during a song ....so if you've never attended a NY concert, just hope that the majority are true LC fans there to savour every moment, and not a majority of "non-true fans" just there for, for, well whatever it is they would be there for!
From my experience this is very different from theatre goers in London. No matter what it is...drama, musical, Shakespeare, Greek tragedy....everyone in the audience is awesome. Guess we will see what happens and just give those who try to walk around a good whack and stuff them under the seats under the concert is over! :D
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

lightning wrote:Does anyone have any idea of what will go on at the Preshow reception besides Lorca showing us her tour photos? That can't take 2 hours.
Hi Lightning,

Well, if anyone should have the inside scoop, I would think it would be you. A) we have Lorca's photos B) we need to connect with probably 200 others from the Forum and we have no idea what anybody looks like...mass confusion and C) I have a gut feeling that Sharon, the Webb sisters and the band will be there, and finally D) hey, we will be in New York City, filled with musicians and artists who admire and respect Leonard SO much....some may be there.

Failing that we can have a couple of espressos and get a little buzz on!

Diana
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend »

Don't you think Anjani is likely to be there?

I have wonderful tickets - thanks to our hero Jarkko and his cross-fertilizing – but alas - not to the VIP reception. So I'll await your stories at o'Hurley's...
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

I would LOVE for Anjani to be there but I've sort of heard that she may be not. However, what a delight it would be to meet her!

Have a safe flight from Vancouver!

Diana
showin1990

Post by showin1990 »

I cannot wait to meet y'all! Yes, y'all---I'm flying from down South tomorrow. Can't wait to put names with faces, but I don't have the vip reception. However, this will be my dream come true---I've been wanting to see Mr. Cohen LIVE since I was 14 and I can't believe it's tomorrow!!!!! YIPPEE!!! See y'all at the concert and the pub afterwards,
Joanna
Minna

Post by Minna »

Last edited by Minna on Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
a new petition for Troy Davis at http://amnestyusa.org/troydavis
CohenFan08

Post by CohenFan08 »

ladydi wrote:
maxwild wrote:Also be aware that all NY concerts are renowned for latecomers and "non-true fans" getting up and down to go to the bar/bathroom/who the hell knows where at any time, including during a song ....so if you've never attended a NY concert, just hope that the majority are true LC fans there to savour every moment, and not a majority of "non-true fans" just there for, for, well whatever it is they would be there for!
From my experience this is very different from theatre goers in London. No matter what it is...drama, musical, Shakespeare, Greek tragedy....everyone in the audience is awesome. Guess we will see what happens and just give those who try to walk around a good whack and stuff them under the seats under the concert is over! :D
But this isn't the theater - it is a 'rock n roll' show. So people drink, people use the restroom. People pretty much sit still for the theater - even in NYC.
lightning

Post by lightning »

It depends whose audience it is. Leonard Cohen's audience is likely to be more quietly attentive than some punk bands audience, so any generality about New Yorkers at concerts can't be too accurate. The audience at Came So Far for Beauty was mesmerized and reverent-- it was free outdoor concert, there were children there, and yet there were no disturbances, and it was only covers.
lightning

Bag Search and Bedbugs

Post by lightning »

Two unpleasant topics I hope nobody has to deal with. I just found this on an e-mail from the Beacon:

The Beacon Theatre's first priority is the safety and enjoyment of our guests and employees. The Beacon asks all guests to arrive early and travel light. All persons and bags are subject to search. Bags that have passed inspection must fit comfortably under your seat. Oversized bags are prohibited. The Beacon does not provide an area to check bags, coats or any other personal belongings. We are not responsible for any property that is lost, stolen, or damaged.

So be careful not to carry anything that might not pass inspection.

Also New York City is capital of the worldwide bedbug epidemic. Paying a lot for a hotel room is not insurance against them. Bedding and mattresses should be thoroughly inspected.

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”