Leonard coming to Australia !! (SEE PAGE 5)

New Zealand and Australia (January 20 - February 10, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
TomD

Leonard coming to Australia !! (SEE PAGE 5)

Post by TomD »

Great news: I heard today that Leonard is coming to Australia at the end of the year. At this stage only the eastern states (Sydney, Melbourne) - Perth is not on the list, but Melbourne is much closer than Europe !!

No doubt more details will be available within the next 24 hours. Phew - just saved $3,000! (though a trip to Lucca, Italy would have been quite pleasant, I imagine...).
Best wishes to all!
Tom
Perth, WA
Andrew (Darby)

Re: Leonard coming to Australia !!

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Hi Tom

I hope you are right, even though I have already committed myself to an expensive European trip! :shock: Oh well, framing this positively, I will not only catch Leonard 3 times, but also connect with my wonderful European friends, so that's worth the expenditure in itself! :D

However, it will be great to catch Mr Cohen "down under" as well! I will probably aim for Melbourne, as my son lives there! 8)

Cheers :)
Andrew (Darby)

P.S. What was your information source: how reliable is it? Anyway, as you allude to, I expect that all will be revealed shortly!
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
st theresa

Post by st theresa »

Oh I certainly hope so. I have at least one Australian friend who might be thrilled to hear it. I heard from him recently that Alberta's kd lang performed in Australia and had rave reviews. Lovely to hear as I had managed to get tickets for her last Sunday concert here. I will see Leonard in Portugal so am doubly blessed this year, and want everyone else to be so fortunate. Andrew-my Yeshe cd finally arrived and I just love it. Harry Manx is also featured on it. This will be my year of great performances. Have been reading the Toronto reviews and I think we are running out of superlatives.
harros

Post by harros »

Tom, thanks for the news about Leonard Cohen coming to Australia. I finalised flight, accomodation and concert tickets to the Lucca concert yesterday so I choked on my weeties this morning when I read your post. Not to worry-- I am still going. Would not miss this chance. Hoping to see some other Aussies at Lucca. Pre-concert drinks? John, Perth,WA
TomD

Post by TomD »

The news of the Australian tour was heard on ABC Radio, Perth, on Geraldine Mellet's programme (her weekly segment on music with some guru who's name escapes me). Anyhow, that's prett reliable. The guy was clear that while unsure/doubtful about a Perth leg, the eastern states were a "definite"...

Still, until we receive official confirmation from Jarkko, or on Leonard's website, it will remain a rumour...
Will keep in touch.
Cheers,
Tom,
Perth, WA
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

No final decisions about the next countries/venues have been made, there are no confirmations about anything. Don't make any plans based on rumors!
First we have to see how the rest of the first leg of the tour goes. So far so good!
pesus

Post by pesus »

this is amazing news, in greece at the moment and was planning to stay on an extra month just to catch him one of my life long dreams , however upon investigating flights found it would cost us an extra 1200 between us to stay plus costs.....crazy his worth every penny im sure but i aint got that kinda cash..
so if its true and he comes to our home town melbourne it would make us sooooooooooooo happy and many friends as well
pleassseeeeeeeee be true!!!!!!!!!
please post any info you hear from any reliable sources
thanks
NewZealander

Post by NewZealander »

Oh well....I would not give up the joys of my upcoming Europe trip :) ..and...that will give me a headstart to Aussie with some airpoints eh??...I have relatives who were hoping that was what "world tour" was all about, but as Jarkko says don't count on it...but twice in one year on both sides of the world!....now wouldnt that be a wonderful experience in "Seeing Leonard on his endless summer of 2008"....!..
Perhaps St Theresa I will meet you there as well??.... 8) 8) ;-)
st theresa

Post by st theresa »

Oh New Zealander
Don't I just wish! But who knows--if he is going to Australia maybe he will come to western Canada too. I know he would be more than welcome. I think my only chance of another trip to Australia would be a lottery win--and since I don't buy tickets, not much chance of that--Still miracles have happened before for me--when i met an Australian friend online seven years ago, I never dreamed I would have the chance to meet him--Not only did my family and I meet him but we stayed a full week in his home town --Rockhampton. One of the highlights of my Australian tour believe it or not.
NewZealander

Post by NewZealander »

Oh well thats not so far away from Sydney...(just up the coast )..But lets not get too excited eh...this tour is pretty demanding already isnt it.......although of course coming "down under" would just have to be a relaxing experience for Leonard, (and anyone) eh!. :) ;-) ..Pretty much how Im feeling about Portugal as my plans to see more of it expand!...Anyway St Theresa see you in Lisbon. We'll get back and arrange that time sometime soon...pretty much just a month for me..you'll be trying to get work things all complete as you're there for a while before as well?...bye 8)
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

Well I for one hope that the rumours turn out to be true. But Leonard will have to add a Perth concert to the list as my little family and I are moving there (from NZ) in August. After all that upheaval the least Leonard can do is save me a trip to the east coast.
devadeborah

Post by devadeborah »

Pleeeeeeeze pleeeze pleeeze come to Australia, preferably Perth , failing that Melbourne or Sydney will be just fine
Mikeaus

Post by Mikeaus »

Leonard, if you come to Canberra later in the year, you can stay at my place. My wife is a great cook and since our daughthers have left we have plenty of room.
Sydney & Bowral 2009. Lissadell Sligo July 2010 (what a night!). Sydney & Hanging Rock November 2010. Bimbadgen Winery, Hunter Valley, Nov 2013. Sydney Opera House, Dec 2013.
NewZealander

Post by NewZealander »

:D :D :D HA ha ha ha ...and then after that if you want to have a wee holiday in New Zealand down here in the deep south...we will happily oblige.... ;-) ;-) Mikeaus you can come too and bring the cook!....
NickShears

Post by NickShears »

I was thrilled to find this thread today when MikeAus pointed me at it. If Leonard comes to Oz this year or next year I will go wherever he's playing. I'm in Brisbane, but would happily go off to Sydney or Melbourne for that. Hey, maybe he'd do an Elton John and play a few gigs outside the cities. But the Sydney Opera House would certainly be a magnificent setting.
Nick,
London 1979, London 1983, London 1988, Brisbane 2009

Return to “The Pacific Tour 2009”