CONCERT REPORT: Brisbane, February 3

New Zealand and Australia (January 20 - February 10, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
B4real

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Brisbane, February 3

Post by B4real »

Andrew (Darby) wrote:Moreover, it was actually nice to see a photo of Paul and Dan Kelly too. 8)
Andrew, I thought you might be interested in this if you haven't already seen it at the cinema last year.
"Paul Kelly: Stories Of Me" - It's on ABC1 at 9:30pm this Sunday 27th November.
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/programs/paul- ... ies-of-me/

A blurb about the same documentary film screened at Byron Bay last year in November.
http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/201 ... 631743.htm

I haven't seen it yet. Maybe there's some mention about his association with Leonard and this concert here in 2009 in it.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Thanks Bev... I haven't seen this, but coincidentally I saw an ABC TV promotion for it today and indeed thought I would tune in. ;-)

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
B4real

Post by B4real »

Interesting documentary and I was surprised to see so many young people at Paul Kelly’s concerts. There was a reference to Leonard but not in the way I had maybe expected. They said very briefly that Paul’s songs relate to Australia and Leonard’s songs don't recount about Canada in the same colloquial manner.
After the show they were advertising "Conversations With Ghosts". Very interesting musical concept!
Thanks BM, for the info and link here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34547#p340736

For the record, here are most of the songs (and some generic video) Paul sang while opening the LC concerts in 2009 –
http://www.setlist.fm/stats/average-set ... nard+Cohen
paul-kelly-set-list-LC-2009.jpg
And now to put this thread back to rest with my impressionistic closing photo of Leonard from this concert -
Final bow to Brisbane
Final bow to Brisbane
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Bev, thanks for that Paul Kelly set-list info.

I also watched that documentary and found it very absorbing. It's nice too to reflect on the parallel that Paul inadvertently made with something Leonard said: he said something like he just wants to go to the place where he can find one more song; Leonard said "if I knew where the good songs came from, I would go there more often." 8)

In that Brisbane concert, I can also recall the nice words Paul said at the end of his bracket, about Leonard being about to come on to do his show, something along the lines of "you're in for a real treat"! Perhaps you can recall this more accurately?

Cheers,
I only sing the tunes
~ Mervyn Peake ~
B4real

Post by B4real »

Andrew (Darby) wrote:It's nice too to reflect on the parallel that Paul inadvertently made with something Leonard said: he said something like he just wants to go to the place where he can find one more song; Leonard said "if I knew where the good songs came from, I would go there more often."
Ha Andrew, I thought exactly the same thing when I heard Paul say that about finding one more song!
Andrew (Darby) wrote:something along the lines of "you're in for a real treat"! Perhaps you can recall this more accurately?
And as I remember, he did say it pretty much that way about Leonard’s coming next on stage.

A lot of graciousness going on between Leonard and Paul in 2009:
Leonard says at the end of this concert during Wither Thou Goest, “It’s been a great honour to play for you, to share the stage with the great Paul Kelly”.
Paul said later in an interview one of the highlights of his year was touring with LC. “It was like a fortnight master class in performance and song writing. We had ten shows with him and he was just brilliant....it was just one of those tours you dream about”.
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Bev, thanks for expanding on this.

I do recall Paul's comments now - it's great to see Leonard acknowledged in this way down here and at the same time witness such a mutually positive connection, or as you nicely put it, the "graciousness" between the two. 8)

Incidentally, it's interesting to note that Leonard doesn't appear to have a support act on this tour, apart from the two Day on the Green events.

Cheers,
I only sing the tunes
~ Mervyn Peake ~
B4real

Post by B4real »

My pleasure Andrew, and here’s some more expansion of a different nature :razz:
Seeing that I’m a visual person, your words (and mine) made me do it! All that graciousness floating around!
I couldn’t help myself – seeing is not believing in this case.

This photo is not intended to B4real :)
LC & PK duet (not real!)
LC & PK duet (not real!)

I wonder what song they’re singing - maybe one of these :razz:
You Know Who I Am Down To My Soul
Be For Real God Told Me To
Always Stolen Apples Taste The Sweetest
Winter Lady Winter Coat
I Can't Forget How To Make Gravy

Please forgive my indulgence here!
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Hey Bev, that's great! :D

I love your juxtaposition of the songs; you have put a lot of thought into this clever creative effort. 8)

Cheers,
I only sing the tunes
~ Mervyn Peake ~
B4real

Post by B4real »

hehe! Lots of fun! Once I realised the concept, the song combos took 5 minutes to think up and the photo about 20 minutes to do!
Just a bit of light relief before the coming tour starts ;-)
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

P.S. I also appreciated the photo work, but even more so, loved the nice pun on your name! ;-)

I only sing the tunes
~ Mervyn Peake ~
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thanks Andrew,
On reflection, I’ve just realised that subliminally Leonard’s words also played a part in this invented duet because he said; “share the stage with Paul”, so ...... :)

Return to “The Pacific Tour 2009”