I got Lenny photos - but the rights?

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Actaion

I got Lenny photos - but the rights?

Post by Actaion »

Hi,
I was at the Cohen Concert in Oberhausen and made some photos there. I was sent by a regional newspaper, and thus got an an accreditation.

As I was not just there for work, but also as a great Cohen fan, I would like to share some of the Photos, here with you, maybe in another Forum for Photographers, and on my homepage.
Thing is, though, that I had to sign a contract, which says I'm only allowed to publish the Fotos in that very newspaper, which sent me, and nowhere else.

Do you know, where I can ask for a permission to show and share the photos (of course without making profit or using them in any commercial way)?

How do you other people deal with the foto rights issue? In Oberhausen were signs saying, that taking fotos is generally forbidden. And If you got a permission, then only limited in the way I described. Nonetheless, I found many people posting Lenny pics in this forum, or on their homepage... Did you all ask for and get a special permmission?
Actaion

Re: I got Lenny photos - but the rights?

Post by Actaion »

?
Paula

Post by Paula »

Ask the newspaper? They sound like the only people you need permission from.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
gingermop

Post by gingermop »

Hello Actaion,

Usually, photographs are copyright of the photographer and not the subject (that's how the paparazzi make a living!), and that's also why people have been free to publish their own pictures on this forum.

However, If you were sent there by the newspaper, then you are technically doing the work under contractual obligation for them, and any images you took belong to the paper, and not to you. The contract you had to sign further displays how they are exercising this right of exclusivity.

You will need to ask the paper for permission to reproduce the pictures, although make it clear you're doing this in a non-commercial way, as it affects the way rights agreements are agreed.

Hope this helps.

G
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Actaion:
Professional photograpers who signed the contract to get their accreditation must comply with the rules they have agreed to.
You may ask Leonard's manager/lawyer Robert Kory for extension to the contract. Email him at rkory@rkmgment.com
You will also have to ask your newspaper for permission to use the photos elsewhere; the rights probably belong to your
employer.

Everybody:
Most photos posted on the LC websites were shot by audience without any permissions but also without any obligations.
In principle these private photograpers shoud ask the tour management and/or the artists for permission to make the photos public,
but as long as the pix are posted on the fan sites only, and not used for any commercial purposes, I don't think there will
be any problems. - This is of course just my own opinion.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Actaion

Post by Actaion »

gingermop wrote:
However, If you were sent there by the newspaper, then you are technically doing the work under contractual obligation for them, and any images you took belong to the paper, and not to you. The contract you had to sign further displays how they are exercising this right of exclusivity.

You will need to ask the paper for permission to reproduce the pictures,
Hi Ginger,
I'm not an employee of the newspaper (freelancer instead), and I didn't sign any contract regarding the concert with the newspaper. The newspaper got right for the one photo, which was published, and which I got money for (so to say they bought this one foto from me). All other photos belong to me. So the paper is not the problem.
jarkko wrote:Actaion:
Professional photograpers who signed the contract to get their accreditation must comply with the rules they have agreed to.
You may ask Leonard's manager/lawyer Robert Kory for extension to the contract. Email him at rkory@rkmgment.com
Thanks for the mail-adress, I'll try this.
Actaion

Post by Actaion »

Hi, everybody,
I just got offical permission today from Michael Petit to show the fotos on my homepage. :D Thanks to Michael and Robert!
You can see them here.
kwills

Post by kwills »

Those were super photos,I especially liked the one of Cohen in silhouette with the red background and the black and white one.Thank you for sharing them.
Merry xmas,
:D
Manchester 19th June/Cardiff 8th Nov
Darling

Post by Darling »

Thanks for the beautiful pictures! :D :D

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”