CONCERT REPORT: Manchester, November 30

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
daveeliver

Re: Manchester, November 30

Post by daveeliver »

Hi All,
He also played Southport (part of Merseyside), on 18th.May 1976.
A great show and special memories.
The Liverpool Arena is a lousy venue but it would have been great to show Liverpool off to everybody.

Manchester's reputation wasn't helped by Mancunians asking us to leave the restaurant before our meals were finished,
by the staff of the pub stopping serving at 6pm and repeatedly asking about 10 of us to leave,(we wanted to spend money!)
by door staff at Yates not letting any more people in after 1115 whilst inside people continued to get served.
Probably it would have been different if other places had been suggested but........

If Liverpool isn't included soon as part of the 'neverending' tour I think next year we will have to find a reason to show you all the pleasures of our music,buildings and always open public houses.
Look after yourself and (each)others. All the best Dave ♫♫♫
phillip

Post by phillip »

yes thats right he did play Liverpool in 1974 I was 3 years old then lol but someone my aunt worked with went my aunt is from Liverpool and as I live 45 mins or so from liverpool it would of been a real treat if he had of played Liverpool but have seen him in Manchester in June and Birmingham in November so that will have to do! can't wait for the DVD! :D
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
margaret

Post by margaret »

daveeliver wrote:Hi All,
He also played Southport (part of Merseyside), on 18th.May 1976.
A great show and special memories.
The Liverpool Arena is a lousy venue but it would have been great to show Liverpool off to everybody.

Manchester's reputation wasn't helped by Mancunians asking us to leave the restaurant before our meals were finished,
by the staff of the pub stopping serving at 6pm and repeatedly asking about 10 of us to leave,(we wanted to spend money!)
by door staff at Yates not letting any more people in after 1115 whilst inside people continued to get served.
Probably it would have been different if other places had been suggested but........

If Liverpool isn't included soon as part of the 'neverending' tour I think next year we will have to find a reason to show you all the pleasures of our music,buildings and always open public houses.
Dave has explained it pretty well. It's a shame we were turfed out of the Manchester hostelries so early before the concert with little alternative but to head for the soul-less Arena to stand around in the outer space trying to continue our little social gathering.
The show as always was superb with Leonard and all the team working their socks off. An emotional evening, although I thought Leonard appeared to be tired and ready for a good rest.

Margaret
Dublin 15th June, Manchester 18th June, Edinburgh 16th July
Cardiff 8th. November, Manchester 30th. November Liverpool 14th July 2009 Barcelona 21st September 2009, Las Vegas 11th December 2010
wmhouse

Post by wmhouse »

Re Paddieu's query and the 1970 Leeds gig - it was a long time ago, but my memory was that Leonard was more or less on time - and it was a full house in the main hall - which doubled up as the student union dining room in those days. how many there - possibly 2- 3,000? I would guess. And, he was a great performer, and funny - which most people who hadn't been there refused to believe, assuming he would be doom and gloom. In those days Leeds Uni was possibly the main venue in the north for rock/folk music, so Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, an unknown called Joe Cocker, Fleetwood Mac (original lineup) The Who, and all sorts of others who perhaps have become a bit more forgotten such as the Incredible String Band, Roy Harper, The Liverpool Scene with the late ,lamented Adrian Henri (on 2nd thoughts I think they appeared at a pub called The Whip?) etc were on in the space of a few months. Was Leonard the best concert I saw there - in terms of the content of the performance his has been the one that has lingered most in the mind over the years - but, I think he - with the musicians he was with on Sunday in Manchester - is an even better performer now...but back then of course he was only a kid of 36 with a few crazy dreams...and an acoustic guitar...and a jews harp.
tommylen

Post by tommylen »

I wonder if anyone recorded Halleluja from Manchester.
I thought it was magnificent .
The look on Leonards face at the end of it
was something to behold.
mancman

Post by mancman »

I'm baffled by the posts about people being kicked out of restaurants and bars before they were ready to leave.
Were you all in the same group?
If so, what had you done to upset the staff?

it's not a problem I've ever come across in Manchetser.
John J

Post by John J »

The Liverpool Arena is perhaps the worst venue I have ever been to,I would not recommend it to anyone,
the audience is constantly up and down to the bar throughout the performances and never seem to stop talking,
we have also complained to the venue security re people smoking in the auditorium,their response what do you want
me to do about it.

If Leonard graces Liverpool with any performances next year ,it would be better if he was to play 4 or 5 nights at the Philharmonic Hall which is a great venue for both intimacy and superb acoustics.
Fingers crossed he will make it here next year, Liverpool would love to see him.
subtle

Post by subtle »

mancman wrote:I'm baffled by the posts about people being kicked out of restaurants and bars before they were ready to leave.
Were you all in the same group?
If so, what had you done to upset the staff?

it's not a problem I've ever come across in Manchetser.
The pub we were in at about 6.00 pm - closed the doors to stop anyone else getting in at around 6.45 -- the landlord came around saying we were all welcome to stay but we wouldnt be able to get back if we left - he explained that this was because of a large group of football fans nearby it was derby day after all. When we left to go to the gig we didnt see or hear any problems at all.

My wife and I stayed in Manchester the whole weekend and indulged in some late night/early morning city centre drinking on Sat and didnt see one bit of trouble. I was well impressed by Manchester pubs and restaurants.
chrismac54

Post by chrismac54 »

If you scousers ever find yourselves in manchester for a concert, then find the crown and cushion on ducie street, its a holts house and you will be made most welcome, its only a five minute walk from victoria station heading back past the CIS building, On a Leonard Cohen note , my first concert was at the kings hall belle vue in 1972, but this summer ( opera house 20th and Lucca Italy )and the final concert at the MEN on 30th were moments to cherish, far better than any of us could have hoped for in our secret lives.
dratterking

Post by dratterking »

by phillip on Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:44 pm

yes thats right he did play Liverpool in 1974 I was 3 years old then lol but someone my aunt worked with went my aunt is from Liverpool and as I live 45 mins or so from liverpool it would of been a real treat if he had of played Liverpool but have seen him in Manchester in June and Birmingham in November so that will have to do! can't wait for the DVD! I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 20 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
phillip

yes he did and I was there, still got the prog and ticket stubs....apart from the memorable songs and performance two things I can recall.....on taking to the stage Len ribbed us scousers for having an iron bird ( the Liver bird statues atop the riverside Royal Liver Buildings ) tied down with cables !!! and he did introduce his backing singers as the "Sisters of Mercy"........great gig , but I enjoyed the Cardiff Gig this year much better....probably because of the enlarged set list.
steve.newton@isosure

Post by steve.newton@isosure »

No strings attached except for tune
in Manchester's invasive gloom
words blended pure by your timbered voice
as every ounce of my being cried out rejoice
for your gift of song and memories and tears
this stranger has possessed me for forty years

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”