CONCERT REPORT: London, RAH, November 17-18

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
confetti

Re: London RAH, 17-18 November 2008

Post by confetti »

i would like to see the photo taken of Mickey_one's friend with the band in the background.
Mackla

Post by Mackla »

Very appreciative audience last night.

I find more amusing than annoying, to be honest, when people have to draw attention to themselves and try and outdo each other in fandom sakes.
wakeupmartin

Post by wakeupmartin »

Great photo goldie fish... and there are those splendid carpets! It's like a cosy living room.
Martin
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

I am back from the first show. It was a pleasant trip :)

Re: the songs, Chelsea Hotel was great in new arrangements, in FULL BAND VERSION (not solo as on previous tours!) - it sounded as the hybrid between Take This Waltz and I'm Your Man, and without the guitar, supported by his band, Leonard really sang it. I particularly liked how he raised his voice in emotion during the verse "But you went away, didn't you babe". Now it sounds like and old goldie love song : )))

The atmosphere on Monday was great, powerful and full of dignity. The hall itself is amazing; and it was great to see it completely full, up to the standing gallery under the dome.

Btw, Leonard had to cut the show, UK has the strict curfew at 11pm. There were some papers on the walls near band entrances, with schedule - the last line was "23:00 CURFEW". That's why Leonard talked very little, shortened the introductions, and didn't wait much for the encores, but coming back immediately (for 3 programmed returns to the stage). He couldn't add any extra songs, although the setlist I picked up from the floor had them listed, beside the expected encores.

PS. Tinderella, you left out Tom(s) - I wouldn't mind, but there were two of us! I'm sure you fogot about me, but the other one? .... 8)
sirp2000

Post by sirp2000 »

What a wonderful evening last night (the 18th) was. Leonard and the band were magnificent and audience quiet but adoring. It was as if everyone was sitting there in awe, struck dumb by "the beauty of the word".

Thanks, Andy, for letting me have such a wonderful seat, front row of the stalls block H. It was great to meet and sit next to you. Here's my film of Marianne, including Leonard skipping onto the stage at the start.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LkGSFYogaMY

I also filmed the Partisan and most of Democracy which I could post on youtube if anyone requests it.

Roll on Brighton!
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Forgive me Tom, and Tom.... did we meet? I loved your review by the way.... I cannot convey how I felt in words... so it's great to read everyone else's :D
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

No, you met the other Tom ;-)
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Where were you hiding? :D
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Dear Jarkko, Thanks a million for doing what I asked. :D
Bela

Post by Bela »

Please post your videos on YouTube, sirp2000! And give us the links. :-)
London O2 Arena 17 July (with binoculars)
London RAH 17 November (without binoculars)
halftidy

Post by halftidy »

What a truly memorable evening and so intimate and awe inspiring. This may have been covered before but when and how will it be possible to get the CD of the tour? Notices everywhere said the performance was being filmed etc so presumably it will appear?
A.Sukitu

Post by A.Sukitu »

... this wonderful, beautiful, precious man .... thank you, Leonard, for singing to us. Haste ye back ...
The Partisan was magnificent. Who By Fire was terse. Bird on the Wire was so deep. And thank you for singing Famous Blue Raincoat ... thank you...
Hello to Gary (who recognised the quotes from the Book of Ruth)! Wasn't it a fabulous concert? I do hope that this will be put onto dvd for sale. (???)
Thank you for the Forum ticket - I wouldn't have been anywhere else.
It can't get much better than last night ... can it? I loved seeing Leonard's joy (and amazement?) at the audience standing to applaud him.
No-one skips with the glee of Leonard ...
I thought I'd be in withdrawal at the end of "my" run of concerts, but rather I am feeling so thankful to have been there to witness something special.
Good luck, Leonard, with the touring ahead. I hope you enjoy your rests. I hope you'll record more and return again in future. You are such a wonderful,beautiful and precious man ...
Annie
"You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. ... You gave the injury a tongue to heal itself."
Leonard Cohen in Book of Mercy (1984) Ch. 19.
mickey_one

Post by mickey_one »

Mackla wrote:Very appreciative audience last night.

I find more amusing than annoying, to be honest, when people have to draw attention to themselves and try and outdo each other in fandom sakes.
do you really think that a fan lost in the moment and having a wonderful time is driven to draw attention to themselves?
what makes you think she or anyone else was competing as fans?
I hope you grow to be more at ease with yourself and grow to accept others with grace.
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Well said Mickey :)
Paula

Post by Paula »

Sirp 200 great video. The angle looks like you were sitting near me where were you. Please you tube Partisan and Democracy.

I went Monday and Tuesday both great concerts I think Tuesday had the slight edge.

My sister who wasn't a fan loved it and my son who is a fan loved it and me well "give me a Leonard Cohen afterworld".
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”