CONCERT REPORT: London, RAH, November 17-18

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Miia

Re: London RAH, 17-18 November 2008

Post by Miia » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:55 pm

Dear Hydriot,

White flags dancing!

Completely understood the descriptive nature of your first post, my worries (which I did NOT express in my first email) arose from someone else's comments that I noticed only later on, perhaps only because I subconsciously felt guilty for bustling around the front row. In my first reply to you I only wanted to (1) honour the rose-bunch-lady, whom I didn't know but who helped me with her roses, (2) announce it to the whole forum that it was ME who was SO LUCKY to hand something to Leonard, and (3) express my deep concern that the miserable rosemary (that was also lost for a while during the concert, which caused another hassle!) annoyed or caused some trouble to Leonard (Jarkko knows my worries as after the concert I insisted him to tell Leonard that there were some good thoughts behind the rosemary, although it may have looked like an incidental weed picked up from the gutter [Tinderella knows it wasn't]).

Hydriot, shame we didn't meet or perhaps we did but we didn't MEET each other in Troubadour or Janet's Bar. I would never had imagined roses could cause so much trouble, I mean imagined trouble! Or maybe they never did. Having lived several years with a mobile phone (instead of a human) I know how wrong written things can go when they start going wrong. So I suggest we stop THIS discussion here before more mental damage is being caused - unless somebody wants to speculate on the results of the rosemary a bit more!

I cannot imagine Leonard appreciating anyone to be called 'rigid pompous wallflower' - although it sounds poetic!

Miia
mickey_one

Post by mickey_one » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:37 am

Habie wrote:Couldn't introduce myself 'that night' (RAH, Monday) due to the minor inconvenience of not actually being there. I had to work all evening, hence choice of Tuesday for the concert. It would have been a pleasure to meet/greet you.
Another time (shall we nip over to New Zealand, then?) x
How ARE we going to cope when this tour finally joins the Big Tour Bus in the sky?
I know there are sooo many train stations at West Hampstead. Do any have direct links to New Zealand, and is the journey covered by my 4 zone Oyster Card?
Habie

Post by Habie » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:25 am

Couldn't introduce myself 'that night' (RAH, Monday) due to the minor inconvenience of not actually being there. I had to work all evening, hence choice of Tuesday for the concert. It would have been a pleasure to meet/greet you.
Another time (shall we nip over to New Zealand, then?) x
How ARE we going to cope when this tour finally joins the Big Tour Bus in the sky?
mickey_one

Post by mickey_one » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:49 pm

eeek, no. not laughing AT you (even if you never introduced yourself that night) btw sorry if uncool to clarify!

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Habie

Post by Habie » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:27 pm

The coolest thing about really witty people, Like Mickeys of One, is that you never know if they're laughing WITH you or AT you..

but that's the fun of it, my bird-hating friend... to keep the suspense. In any case, it's good to be laughed at too, because in a Leonard-inflected world, self importance is the baddest sin of all.

(I do hope I didn't offend anyone on the Zanzibari thread, though, that was NOT the intention). Fare thee well.
mickey_one

emotion showing at the Royal Bert Hall

Post by mickey_one » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:11 pm

If you're Habie and you know it
Clap your hands
(and sod everyone else)
Habie

Post by Habie » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:01 pm

Wow, Henning - well spotted re Uriah Heep inventing the line 'She Came to Me One Morning'! Is their no end to your encyclopaedic musical knowledge?

Guess we must accept the unspoken rule that Leonard Does Not Commit a Sin, and assume that he and Uriah Heep's lyricist came up with the line separately and simultaneously... Uriah released their song in 1971, LC first sang Kisses is the 90s - clearly Leonard just needed some time to hold the line in his head for a while and work out the next lines...

Re the cartwheels and skipping controversy - seriously, why would anyone would object to Leonard and his ladies indulging in their acrobatic winks to the audience amid the quasi-religious atmosphere of the rest of us sitting silently worshipful in front of them night after night? Cheerfulness keeps breaking through indeed - and thank goodness for that. Or we'd all statufie in our seats from rigidity of purpose.

To my mind, everything that band does has a lightness of touch - the feeling that they could either break into tears (eg Neil) or laughter (eg Rafael) at any moment. Like the rest of us.

For me, the Webbtastic Ones wanting to emphasize their 'perfect bodies' with a brief flight through the air, reminds me that however serious we fans get, Leonard and his friends will never, ever, take themselves too seriously.
hydriot

Post by hydriot » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:39 pm

Miia wrote:I only now read the rest of the discussions and noticed that the "fan stuff on the front row of stalls O" has caused some bad feelings. Sorry for this, but these are THE moments of your life that erase all senses for good behaviour and self-control. Let's try to be as open-hearted and open-minded as our beloved Leonard is and forgive each other for being just humans - and we all feel much better! As a compensation for my bad behaviour I would attach some shots from my seat, which was probably the best one in the entire hall, if I knew how to do it! Will work on it...
Miia
Could I set the record straight once and for all? If you read what I actually wrote on the first page of this thread, it was purely descriptive and not censorious at all. My objections have only ever been to those who sing-along, shake my seat by marking time with their knee, or similar. That some see me as a rigid pompous wallflower saddens me, as it seems my self-image of being (outside the concert hall) tolerant, articulate and loving is completely inaccurate :cry: .

Miia, I was absolutely charmed by the behaviour of you and your friend. In fact when I saw your friend trying to attract Leonard's attention, I was willing him to notice you both. It was a lovely moment in the concert when Leonard came over to you, and your behaviour was exemplary.

And anyway, I always give special consideration to anyone who loves Hydra ;-)
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
Henning

Post by Henning » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:36 am

Ok, Ok, Habie - thnx for clarifying this. I will have a much better sleep now. But let's be on topic again otherwise the threadpolice will give us a warning.

So ... on our way out of RAH I casually said to Tinderella, that Leonard stole the first line from 1000 kisses deep, a few minor changes given.

Everybody knows "She came to me one morning" from Uriah Heep's Lady in Black.

Holy BimBam. You should have seen her eyes. It was close to the first case of murder in the RAH. A lesson I was told. Never mention that Leonard stole anything. Because it is simply not true.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
pegasus4

Post by pegasus4 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:17 am

[
quote][Maarten wrote:
Hi,
I've uploaded some pictures from both nights at the RAH on my Facebook:
London (RAH), November 17: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9 ... 1362291292
London (RAH), November 18: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9 ... 1362291292

Some other albums:
Manchester, June 17: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9 ... 1362291292
Amsterdam, July 12: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9 ... 1362291292
Brussels, Oct 19: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9 ... 1362291292
Brussels, Oct 20: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9 ... 1362291292

Enjoy and feel free to use any of the photo's if you like. Just send me an email if you want it in it's original resolution.
/quote]
Great photos. Many thanks for sharing them with us.

I don't know. Cartwheels!! skipping!! Cheerfulness just has this way of breaking through. :D
mickey_one

Post by mickey_one » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:37 am

Miia wrote:
mickey_one wrote:Miia is right.
Mickey_one, right in what?!

Miia
Miia is right about everything in life, (but no more than that).
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:15 am

But don't mention the war!
Habie

Post by Habie » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:16 am

Lieber Henning, I didn't say Germans don't have a sense of humour, only that it's a common PERCEPTION around here that they don't! Not the same thing at all. Anyone who reads your exchanges on this website with Liverpool Ken for example, will know that Germans in fedoras from the Frankfurt area most certainly have humour, wit, brevity, and much else besides.
But just because you so charmingly represent the wit and wisdom of Teutonic troubadours, doesn't mean, sadly, that stereotypes will magically be erased.

Keep laughing, though, and you never know.

Sorry if this is not strictly an RAH-related post, but I wanted to respond to Henning's post and I get the feeling the Cohen Fraternity can forgive the odd digression - I for one enjoy the ones I've seen on here, and the serious matter of national stereotyping is clearly relevant to all - after all, we can't say all Canadians are sublime poets and perfect gentlemen, can we?
Padma

Post by Padma » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:54 am

Miia wrote:

Let's try to be as open-hearted and open-minded as our beloved Leonard is and forgive each other for being just humans - and we all feel much better!

Miia

Miia - thank you for this. I had a wonderful afternoon meeting with new and old friends - and a truly wonderful evening at the RaH and that is how I want to remember the experience.
Miia

Post by Miia » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:13 am

Mickey_one, right in what?!

I only now read the rest of the discussions and noticed that the "fan stuff on the front row of stalls O" has caused some bad feelings. Sorry for this, but these are THE moments of your life that erase all senses for good behaviour and self-control. Let's try to be as open-hearted and open-minded as our beloved Leonard is and forgive each other for being just humans - and we all feel much better! As a compensation for my bad behaviour I would attach some shots from my seat, which was probably the best one in the entire hall, if I knew how to do it! Will work on it...

Miia

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”