CONCERT REPORT: London, O2 Arena, November 13-14

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
IrishMar

Re: London O2 Arena, November 13 - 14, 2008

Post by IrishMar »

Was there much difference between the setlist for the two nights?
2008 DUB3 LDN Helsinki LDN Paris MAN
2009 NYC Boston Weybridge DUB4 Belfast Lisboa Bratislava Barcelona Chicago LV SJ
2010 Zagreb Sligo2 Berlin Ghent2 Firenze Marseille Katowice Bratislava Victoria Vancouver LV2
2012 Ghent2 A'dam2 Helsinki DUB4 Verona Paris2 Boston2
2013 NYC Brussels Prague Vienna Zurich MAN
Midnight Choir

Post by Midnight Choir »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he played That Don't Make It Junk on Thursday but not Friday, and Chelsea Hotel on Friday but not Thursday.
2008: O2 London - July 17 | O2 London - November 13 | O2 London - November 14 | RAH London - November 17 | 2009: Antwerp - July 4 | Weybridge - July 11
IrishMar

Post by IrishMar »

Thank you Midnight Choir, just thinking about, and looking forward to what the setlist might be like for tomorrow night.
2008 DUB3 LDN Helsinki LDN Paris MAN
2009 NYC Boston Weybridge DUB4 Belfast Lisboa Bratislava Barcelona Chicago LV SJ
2010 Zagreb Sligo2 Berlin Ghent2 Firenze Marseille Katowice Bratislava Victoria Vancouver LV2
2012 Ghent2 A'dam2 Helsinki DUB4 Verona Paris2 Boston2
2013 NYC Brussels Prague Vienna Zurich MAN
wakeupmartin

Post by wakeupmartin »

Forgot to mention... On the 13th now and then the big-screen would reveal that Leonard was standing on a big carpet! Webb sisters too I think. Made me smile. Some close-up shots also revealed that Dino Soldo was wearing a ring with Cohen's two interlocking hearts symbol. Javier Mas had same symbol attached to the top of his tie.
Martin
greta

Post by greta »

I went to see the concert of 13th November in the O2. Thanks to my friend in London we were able to have great seats but i would have been just as happy sitting even in the last row. It was just so amazing to finally see Leonard Cohen live. I was astounded how enthusiastiac everyone on stage was. They have been on the tour for so long but the performers were so lively and so concentrated. As it was mentioned before in this thread- one does indeed forget that you are in the room with 20,000 people. Despite the crowds it was a truly intimate experience.

The music was of course excellent but i was just as well pleasantly suprised about how respectful Leonard Cohen was towards the audience and his co-musicans. I loved his sense of humour and it really made me smile to see him running and jumping on the stage. Ending the concert with I Tried to Leave You was just perfect.
I have never heard such ever-ending applauding (times and times again) and the whole O2 stood up in respect more times than i can count.

Besides the concert i spent a few days in London, enjoying the city. I have used up all my savings, still have to pay my friend the money for the ticket but of course i am just thrilled i got a chance to see him live. And now my friend is also addicted to his songs!

Greta
Ophelia

Post by Ophelia »

Hello. I've been a member of this forum for a little while but, till now, have been content just to read others' postings. Now I'm going to have a go at it!

I went to see Leonard last week at the O2 and I am yet to float back down to earth! I have been a fan for a (great) many years but never thought I would get to see Leonard performing live. It was an incredible evening and something that I will never forget.
neo

Re: London O2 Arena, November 13-14, 2008

Post by neo »

jules2view posted very nice pictures from the O2, London - 14 November 2008:

http://flickr.com/photos/jules2view/set ... 233016507/
wittykat

Post by wittykat »

I flew for 10 hours (each way) just to see Leonard Cohen, feeling extreme guilt and avoiding eye contact with my bank account. But once I was in London for the concert, all these feelings disappeared. It made not my day, week, or even year - but I'm sure my decade. His concert was one of these things that I will always cherish. Everything was perfect... The songs, Leonard, his musicians, my company...and even my seats were pretty darn good (6th row, but alas not center). I was in a different space entirely listening to his golden voice go right through my soul, playing its strings beautifully.

But on another note that came up in this discussion... We all paid a lot of money to see the show (some of us even flew across the world to it), put our hearts in it, and want to hear Leonard sing, not some shmuck behind us. I love singing, I felt at times like I wanted to, I even have a half-decent voice...but I restrained myself. We're there to hear Leonard and its very distracting to hear someone's inconsiderate attempts at Karaoke. But you know what happened to my shmuck? I think we described rather loudly and graphically what will happen to those who choose to sing-along. That was the end of that. Phew (for that person).
shadowsonthewood

Post by shadowsonthewood »

wittykat wrote: But you know what happened to my shmuck? I think we described rather loudly and graphically what will happen to those who choose to sing-along. That was the end of that.

Good stuff. These people need a battering.
wittykat

Post by wittykat »

shadowsonthewood wrote:
wittykat wrote: But you know what happened to my shmuck? I think we described rather loudly and graphically what will happen to those who choose to sing-along. That was the end of that.

Good stuff. These people need a battering.
Exactly. How else will they learn?
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi Wittykat..

I did sort of the same thing. Flew for one night from America to Copenhagen in October and it was more than I could have expected!!! My heart was soaring :D Fortunately in Copenhagen all I heard were some ladies behind me shouting "we love you Leonard", which, of course I do too 8)

The sing-a-longs go well, and even bring the moment to something transcendent, when it's at Dublin or Glastonbury, but in an intimate concert hall it is totally uncalled for.......unless the moment suddenly catches and EVERYONE takes part in it. Solo singers should be banned :x
wittykat

Post by wittykat »

Exactly. It's ok for certain moments when it just catches on at the end perhaps, but definitely not throughout the concert.

And it must have been great to see the show where you did! It's a story now too...
Sunil

Post by Sunil »

Hello Wittykat

Glad to see that you enjoyed the show!
bluepeter

Post by bluepeter »

Is the set list complete for 13 November? My memory suggests he also performed "Closing Time" as well as "Whither Thou Goest".

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”