CONCERT REPORT: Warsaw, October 1

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
naattii

CONCERT REPORT: Warsaw, October 1

Post by naattii »

I've just came back from the Warsaw concert of Leonard Cohen! It was great, beautiful, moving. He brought us to tears and laught.
2,5 h of the best music played by excellent band and sang by the men with the deepest voice in the world! Thank you, thanx a lot!
BerlinBerlin

Re: 1 October, Warsaw

Post by BerlinBerlin »

Setlist please 8)
mirka

Post by mirka »

First report in the polish music portal, an enthusiastic one, with a lot of photos. I understand "Famous Blue Raincoat" was included in the setlist this time.
http://www.cgm.pl/aktualnosci/wyswietl. ... S=30824097

ps.
I just noticed that rugs in Warsaw photos are very smilar to those in Vienna. I wonder are those the same rugs, or it's just a coincidence ?
http://derstandard.at/?url=/?id=1220459120444
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
Halibutt

Post by Halibutt »

Been there, seen the concert. Left me speechless.
mirka

Post by mirka »

Halibutt, I understand your being speechless, I felt speechless after Canada concerts.
Now I understand also people urging me at that time to write something, anything about the concert 8)
Pleeaase ...?
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Halibutt

Post by Halibutt »

mirka wrote:Halibutt, I understand your being speechless, I felt speechless after Canada concerts.
Now I understand also people urging me at that time to write something, anything about the concert 8)
Pleeaase ...?
In short - it was my first LC concert. The last time he was in Warsaw I was four and the ticket price was more or less my dad's monthly salary. Anyway, at that time I was already listening to Cohen (thanks to my parents) and I knew his songs perfectly well even in the times when the only English words I understood were "dog" and "wardrobe" (don't ask).

So, the concert was completely different from the ones I heard on bootleg tapes: absolutely no new songs, only his good-olds, from the very first song on his very first album to "In my secret life" from Dear Heather. In contrast with his previous concert in Warsaw back in 1985, this time Cohen did not tell many stories. Most of the time he was simply thanking the audience or presenting the musicians - several times. BTW, he recalled the previous concert in Warsaw saying that he was 60 years old back then, which means he was but a kid :)

As to the songs... the concert lasted almost 3 hours. I got an impression that the encores were actually longer than the second part, but I couldn't confirm that (I had better things to do than care for my watch). I don't remember the first part at all, I was too astonished. Really, I mean it (anyone got a song list to refresh my memory?). Then I started taking notes of the song list on my palm. The list might come in... err.. handy. :) The second part started with the Tower of Song (great work done by the girls). Next was Suzanne (looong version, with a great solo on... what was the name of that string instrument?), followed by Gypsy Wife (lyrics slightly different than the recorded version), then the Partisan (again, with slightly modified lyrics).

Next was "In my secret life", with lots of solos. I didn't particularly like that one, as it's basically a show of the band, and not LC himself (most of it sung by Sharon Robinson, with Leonard Cohen merely providing backing vocals), but what the heck. Next came Hallelujah, pretty much the same version we all know from the recording (though Hammond organ made the song.. err.. church-like?). After a long ovation (minute or so) came Democracy (great harmonica), followed by "I'm your man" (he sung the better part of it on his knees). Again, it was pretty much the version we know from the LPs and CDs.

After that came the amazing "Take this waltz". The performance was so great the girl sitting in the next row started crying. She didn't stop 'til the end of the concert. Anyway, after that Cohen sung "Marianne", with slightly modified melody (and perhaps the words as well, can't remember; anyone?). If I recall correctly after that he got the first standing ovation this evening. Next came "First We Take Manhattan" (again, not that different from the recorded version; another standing ovation). After that he sung "Famous blue raincoat". The performance was so good I didn't blink once. I guess it's too personal a story to tell (there's always some personal story, right?).

After another standing ovation started "If it be your will". It was a spoken poem, followed by the actual song sung by the Webb Sisters. Boy, they are great. I didn't come to see them, but after the concert I started wondering if there's any record of them available in Poland. Anyway, it was already the encore time and after each and every song Cohen was leaving the stage, but the audience brought him back in. He tried to fend us off with singing the "Closing time" and looking at us meaningly from below his hat (or was it only my impression?), but it didn't work :). When we brought him back on stage, he took his guitar and started a calm, "cameral" version of "I tried to leave you" :D .

We were laughing our heads off, really, it felt like a conversation with LC. When he returned back to stage for the final time, the band remained silent and they performed "Whither thou goest", almost a capella... It felt much more sad than the version with Anjani from the previous concert in Warsaw. Another almost metaphysical experience, I tell you. The concert ended late (roughly 11 pm), and LC told us to "drive carefully home and don't catch a cold" :) And that was it. A concert I waited for half of my life was complete.
Cheers
mirka

Post by mirka »

Thanks a lot Halibutt !!
His voice is a natural miracle, it's much better now then at the time he recorded "Take this waltz", it's much lower and deeper (I just listened to original version of the Waltz).
As for girls crying, seems this is normal at LC concerts :) , at the Charlottetown concert a girl in front of me was crying as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpMG2mXEq2U

And Webb sisters are on MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/thewebbsisters
Apolinary

Post by Apolinary »

Here comes my relation. Unfortunately in Polish (don't feel able to translate) - http://blog.schronisko.art.pl/2008/10/o ... warszawie/

It was my second concert after Amsterdam this year. I've been listening to it less emotionally, more calmly, more critically... for a 20-30 mintutes. Then I just started to cry.
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

WARSZAWA, TORWAR, 01-10-2008

The First Part

1. Dance me to the end of love
2. The Future
3. Ain`t no cure for love
4. Bird on the wire
5. Everybody knows
6. In my secret life
7. Who by fire
8. Heart with no companion
9. Hey, that`s no way to say goodbye

Mr. Leonard Cohen - the spoken word

10. Anthem

i n t e r v a l

11. Tower of song
12. Suzanne
13. The gypsy wife
14. The partisan
15. Boogie street
16. Hallelujah
17. Democracy
18. I`m your man
19. Take this waltz

The first encore

20. So long Marianne
21. First we take Manhattan

The second encore

22. Famous blue raincoat
(standing ovation...and to the very end - all standing!!!)

23. If it be your will
Mr. Leonard Cohen - recitation
The Webb Sisters - singing

The third encore

24. Closing time
25. I tried to leave you
26. Whither than goest

Mr. Leonard Cohen - the spoken word (at parting...)

The End (unfortunately)

jeremek
1985/2008/2010/2013/Always
niemiecki69

Post by niemiecki69 »

Dear Friends,

I would like to assure you that yesterday's concert in Warsaw turned up to be one of the MOST BEAUTIFUL ones I had ever seen. In fact, it was exceptionally WONDERFUL from the very beginning to the very end. I am allowing myself to share the moments that impressed me most during this UNFORGETTABLE evening with you : Suzanne, So Long Marianne, Famous Blue Raincoat, Who By Fire, The Gypsy's Wife, Dance Me To The End Of Love, Hallelujah, Take This Waltz, The Tower Of Song and Anthem. In my opinion each of these songs is a REAL MASTERPIECE as well as PURE POETRY. I wish Leonard Cohen had sung Sisters Of Mercy. Maybe next time, who knows ???

Mister Leonard, we are all looking forward to your next visit to our country. I am sure that there is a huge number of your friends whose biggest dream is to see you again live on stage. Best wishes and many greetings from Poland :D
Cis

Post by Cis »

Thank you Halibutt and niemecki69 for your comments! I was curious about comments. I still remain speechless after the Prague concert (it will bee nearly a week!). The same way like Halibutt I waited for LC many years and I didn't expected that i will have a "privilege" to see and hear him "live". And the same way like in Poland, we all in Prague felt very intimate feeling. Stanind ovation lasted several minuts and the final part of concert all stayed standing. It was so powerfull experience.
To Mirka: I was little bit afraid about his voice, but - like you write - wow: is perhaps even more magical. :)
Apolinary

Post by Apolinary »

niemiecki69 wrote:I wish Leonard Cohen had sung Sisters Of Mercy. Maybe next time, who knows ???
He sung that Song in Amsterdam, with His eyes turned to the moon... That was one of unforgettable moments.

Maybe it's because there wasn't any moon in Warsaw in Torwar, only red digital clock on the wall just opposite the stage ;)

They didn't have Famous Blue Raincoat in exchange...
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.
leonardo

Post by leonardo »

thanks for the set list, jeremek. I´ll be at the Berlin show tomorrow. hope he does The Partisan and Famous blue Raincoat there too. I missed these 2 songs very much at Lörrach, summer tour.
by the way, jeremek, I appreciated your contributions to the Lörrach thread very much. it was a fantastic atmosphere on the marketplace, warm night, somehow mediterranean. I could not understand, why there were people nagging, as for price of mineral water and "no rerserved seats".
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

I am greeting you, Leonardo
"Till tomorrow !"

j.
1985/2008/2010/2013/Always
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

I am supplementing Warsaw memories...

1. Ten minutes after the concert from the burrow of the taxi in the tunnel