Vienna Sept. 24 meet up ?

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
mirka

Vienna Sept. 24 meet up ?

Postby mirka » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:09 am

I would love to meet other LC fans before the concert, maybe have a light dinner together ?
Since I haven't been to Vienna I cannot propose the location, I guess there should be plenty of cafes in the Konzerthaus area ?
Anybody local kind to advise ?
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
richardrj

Re: Vienna Sept. 24 meet up ?

Postby richardrj » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:21 pm

The Konzerthaus is not in the centre of Vienna but is not at all far from it. It's a stone's throw from Schwarzenbergplatz, a busy junction with a decent old-style Kaffeehaus, Cafe Schwarzenberg, close by. The venue also lies just beyond the south-eastern part of the Ring, the showpiece boulevard that encircles the old town. Probably a better bet for a pre-gig meet-up would be Cafe Prückel on the Ring itself, a nice bohemian cafe that is less snooty than the Schwarzenberg. From there it's maybe a 10-15 minute walk to the Konzerthaus through the leafy Stadtpark.
mirka

Postby mirka » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:26 pm

Thanks a lot for recommendations !
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
mirka

Re: Vienna Sept. 24 meet up, Cafe Prückel on the Ring,

Postby mirka » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:12 am

I'm leaving for Europe in 2 days, and I don't know how often I will be able to access Internet while there.
I will drop by for a bite at Cafe Prückel on the Ring around 17-17:30 hrs, and I would love to meet other Cohen fans there.
Anybody interested in the meet up please let me know ?
alabasterlily

Postby alabasterlily » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:01 pm

Hi Mirka, will plan to make it to Cafe Prückel at around 5pm on the 24th, we are arriving late the night before by train from Munich and we are really looking forward to the gig. I must collect the tickets from the box office at the concert hall beforehand, otherwise we're free and easy and would be delighted to meet up for nibbles and drinks. See you there all going well.
Born With The Gift Of A G

Postby Born With The Gift Of A G » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:58 am

My wife and I will be in Vienna on 24th September 2008.....but we are attending the second performance at the Konzerthaus on the following evening.

Any other LC Files Forum members heading to Vienna for the 25th September show?
"Little lady.....I AM Kris Kristofferson....."
London: 10 & 11 May 1993; Manchester: 17, 18, 19 & 20 June 2008; Vienna: 25 September 2008; London: 17 November 2008; Paris: 26 November 2008; Manchester: 30 November 2008; Liverpool: 14 July 2009; Paris: 28 September 2012; Manchester: 31 August 2013; Leeds: 7 September 2013.
richardrj

Postby richardrj » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:16 am

I am going to both shows but sadly I am only free for a meet-up after the second show on the 25th. Let me know if anyone is interested in going for a post-gig drink that night.

Richard
paddyproust

Postby paddyproust » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:41 pm

We're going to the Thursday night concert in Vienna, and are catching the early train to Budapest at 5 am. Any local people know of any late-opening cafes/taverns that we could while away a few post-Leonard hours in? (Yes, we are too miserly to pay for a hotel!)
richardrj

Postby richardrj » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:56 am

There are any number of bars in the 1st district (walking distance from the Konzerthaus) which stay open until 2am. If you go a bit further afield to the Gürtel area you can find places that stay open until 3am, perhaps 4. First prize though goes to a bar/club called Goodmans which stays open all night. Taxi drivers will know where it is.
Evelyne

Postby Evelyne » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:43 pm

Hi mirka and alabasterlily!
My mother and I will be at the wednesday concert too, and maybe we'll be able to make it to café Prückel too. We're coming from Graz, Styria on that day. So if you'll see two ladies (23 and 50) in fancy clothes at Cafe Prückel, please wave to us! :)
i'm so looking forward to the show,
see you
evi
:D
mirka

Postby mirka » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:39 pm

I was at the cafe at 17:30, and since I didn't see anybody that looked to me as LC fan I left after appr. 10 minutes, sorry /I felt suffocated by the cigarettes fumes/.
I have to add that I looked in the non-smoking part only, I would die if I had to stay 1 minute in the smoking part of the cafe !

btw - this is one of things I cannot comprehend about Vienna: how people can still smoke in the closed public spaces ?!
scarlettrose

Postby scarlettrose » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:43 pm

mirka wrote:I was at the cafe at 17:30, and since I didn't see anybody that looked to me as LC fan I left after appr. 10 minutes, sorry /I felt suffocated by the cigarettes fumes/.
I have to add that I looked in the non-smoking part only, I would die if I had to stay 1 minute in the smoking part of the cafe !
I was there at 16:55, searching for some LC-fans, but I found nobody who would have looked like one, so I left at 17:25.
alabasterlily

Postby alabasterlily » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:39 pm

We did show up for the pre-concert meet up in the Cafe Pruckel on the 24th, we were there for two hours from 16.30 to 18.30pm, infact my partner was wearing a Leonard Cohen tee-shirt. There might be a lesson in it for future meet-ups, somebody wear a red rose for christs sake. I should have used my nut really and put a sign on our table. It's a lovely cafe and we had a couple of drinks and some food. I loved the old world washrooms. We met an Israeli girl outside the concert haus, she was also looking for Mirka.
What a beautiful venue the concert haus is and we had a great view of the stage but the Austrian audience was quite subdued, at least from an Irish perspective. A cultural difference, and one I hadn't taken into account. Saying all that it was good to see the Len again, and I hope all those that we missed at the Cafe Pruckel enjoyed their evening and went home all aglow.
mirka

Postby mirka » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:23 am

Hi Alabasterlily and Scarlettrose, what a mixup with the meetup ! :? :o :shock:

I agree, we should think beforehand of a secret sign to recognize each other in the cafe (the monkey and the plywood violin on the table ? 8) :razz: )
Honestly I couldn't stay in the cafe for more then a couple of minutes anyway, b/c of cigarettes. I rented a muni bike afterwards and went for a short ride through a Stadt Park to get some fresh air.
I didn't meet the Israeli girl in person, but we talked on the phone that evening, instead of her sitting next to me this eve was a very handsome Croatian guy.

I enjoyed the concert, Konzerthaus provided a splendid background for Leonard, the audience was strangely mixed: gentelman snoozing in the first row next to non-Austrians trying to express their enthusiasm in a more extroverted way.
I asked a Polish expat living in Vienna for 20+ years about the audience -- this is how they react, even at the rock concerts :o :lol: :lol:
I guess this comes from the centuries of chamber music tradition, and is a uniquely Austrian way to show appreciation at a pop/rock concert. :razz:

I loved the cultural experience I went through b/c of LC tour -- not only I experienced the difference between the audience in 3 very different countries, in each of the countries there were unexpected events that added to the thrill:
:idea: -- in Canada I got to see the house where Ann of Green Gables lived (Ok, Lucy Maud Montgomery :) ), and the university where she studied,
:idea: -- in Ireland I visited Dublin the day after Irish voted against the European treaty,
:idea: -- in Switzerland, where I flew in for the Vienna concert, I came to Zurich on the first day of the global financial meltdown,
:idea: -- in Vienna I experienced the city living in the past, with the Imperial traditions very much alive.

Hope Leonard continues his perpetual last tour to even more exciting locations next year :) :)
richardrj

Postby richardrj » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:27 am

mirka wrote: I enjoyed the concert, Konzerthaus provided a splendid background for Leonard, the audience was strangely mixed: gentelman snoozing in the first row next to non-Austrians trying to express their enthusiasm in a more extroverted way.
I asked a Polish expat living in Vienna for 20+ years about the audience -- this is how they react, even at the rock concerts :o :lol: :lol:
I guess this comes from the centuries of chamber music tradition, and is a uniquely Austrian way to show appreciation at a pop/rock concert. :razz:
:idea: -- in Vienna I experienced the city living in the past, with the Imperial traditions very much alive.
I have been to many rock concerts in Vienna and I can assure you that the audiences for them are always very warm and enthusiastic. Extroverted? Why, certainly they are!

And as well as having a glorious history Vienna is also a city of the present and of the future. Much of the most cutting-edge electronic music of the world is being made here. It is certainly not a city that is living in the past.

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”