40th. Anniversary

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
liverpoolken

40th. Anniversary

Post by liverpoolken »

I’ve left it now because I was sure that somebody else would post up to note that this month marks the 40th. anniversary of the US release of Songs Of Leonard Cohen.

Although if I remember correctly we couldn’t buy a copy here in the UK until early 1968.

Sadly it would seem that the Rock and Roll Hall of Shame debacle attracts far more interest around here these days than this remarkable milestone in Leonard’s career.

Unfortunately I still can’t summon up any interest in LC’s induction into the Rock and Roll Hall Of Shame but I would certainly like to offer up my congratulations on 40 years of recording.

Ta Ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Kush

Re: 40th. Anniversary

Post by Kush »

"Be careful lest you be a worse snob than the rest of us."

(from 'To Sir With Love')
kokenpere

Post by kokenpere »

Sony/Legacy started early with the first three LC album reissues. The first US release of Songs Of Leonard Cohen was in late December of 1967. With last year's celebration of "Let Us Compare Mythologies" (50th anniv.), the 'anniversaries' haven't really been ignored.

Michael
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Hi Liverpoolken,

Thanks for the reminder (it was 26th December). I too, thought about it recently, but forgot to post. I didn't discover Leonard until Christmas 1968, when I bought "The Rock Machine Turns You On" and heard "Sisters of Mercy". I'll celebrate my 40th, next year!

Cheers, John E
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

I had heard of Leonard Cohen from radio music stations but knew nothing about him until my wife, Margaret, brought him home one night, and he's been here ever since. I suspect that there are several husbands and partners who enjoy his company as an honoured guest. He is always welcome to pop in for a cup of tea, buttered scone and a chat, anytime.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
daveeliver

Post by daveeliver »

I loved that LP (and it's companion the Rock Machine I love you).They along with Songs of Leonard Cohen,Wildflowers,Love Chronicles,Bookends and a fanatastic compilation from Elektra (The FolkBox) accompanied me around the world.
Portable record player,rolling ship scratched lps.Ipods came too late.
For younger readers this was the track listing.

1. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight - Dylan, Bob
2. Can't Be So Bad - Moby Grape
3. Fresh Garbage - Spirit (1)
4. I Won't Leave My Wooden Wife For You Sugar - United States Of America
5. Time Of The Season - Zombies
6. Turn On A Friend - Peanut Butter Conspiracy
7. Sisters Of Mercy - Cohen, Leonard
8. My Days Are Numbered - Blood Sweat & Tears
9. Dolphins Smile - Byrds (1)
10. Statesboro Blues - Taj Mahal
11. Killing Floor - Electric Flag
12. Nobody's Got Any Money In The Summer - Harper, Roy
13. Flames - Gantry, Elmer & Velvet Opera
14. Come Away Melinda - Rose, Tim
Look after yourself and (each)others. All the best Dave ♫♫♫
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Happy 40th Anniversary of Recording, Leonard... with the New Year bringing you in as deeply loved as ever.

Love,
Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
hydriot

Love Chronicles

Post by hydriot »

How cheering to see your reference to Love Chronicles, daveeliver, in your list. Didn't realise anyone else in the forum was an admirer of Al Stewart.

"And all the girls I ever knew have left themselves inside me."
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

Love Chronicles was a staple in one of the flats I shared in Dublin in the early 70's.
Those were the years of the cat!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I remember "Year of the Cat" and a couple others that made it big here... but, I had no idea how historical and deep Al is in his songwriting until I drove to see him, on the strong recommendation of my Brit friend, Phil. It was great to meet him after his performance, where Leonard came up as a shared, strong interest. He knew Leonard's favourite year and variety of wine, as well. A lovely man who spoke highly of his wife and fidelity... one sure way to impress me.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Re: Love Chronicles

Post by Byron »

hydriot wrote:How cheering to see your reference to Love Chronicles, daveeliver, in your list. Didn't realise anyone else in the forum was an admirer of Al Stewart.
We saw him last year (or the year before) at the Royal L'pool Phil Hall. Tremendous musician.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Andrew McGeever

Post by Andrew McGeever »

I bought a mono L.P. of "The Songs of Leonard Cohen", round about Christmas, 1967.
It was, I think, the first British pressing of the album, which later came out in the U.S.A. and Canada too.
My scratched lump of heavy vinyl remains, although the Rock Machine was lifted at a party many student years ago.
Tom Sajic is the best person to ask about "The Songs..."
My mum wrote on the back of the album sleeve.
This helped me to write "Mythologies and Oranges", which can be found somewhere in the L.C. Files.
The L.P. jumps half way through "The Stranger Song".....

Andrew.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I still have my first copy of it, too. I first heard him in 1968.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
hydriot

Al Stewart

Post by hydriot »

I first heard Al Stewart in about 1971, when he played at my university's town hall to a hundred people, alone with acoustic guitar. At the very end, one of his strings broke but, completely unphased, he just launched straight into My Enemies Have Sweet Voices which happened not to need that string! Very professional.

I last heard him at the Royal Albert Hall at his 60th Birthday gig, in, I think 2006. It is very encouraging that he has succeeded with his historical genre, because in the seventies there was a feeling that, worthy though it was, it would never gain mass appeal. I'll never forget when he unveiled Roads to Moscow at a London gig in late 1976, with a slide-show backdrop showing Solzenitsyn's life.

I am presently reading his very long (and sometimes rather turgid) biography. His connection with Paul Simon is fascinating.

It is very intersting to read that he knows Leonard. Al is renowned as an expert on wine (his biography reports that when he started doing very well, and he had the girlfriend and the Ferrari, he found he had far too much money left in his pocket for his remaining needs, so he just decided to start learning about fine wine).
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
yentek

Post by yentek »

So nice to find this site. I was living in South Africa in early 1968 age 15 and read a review of the album in the local paper. It was a brief but glowing review and ended with the words - "these are probably the most beautiful songs ever written". I bought the album the next day and have been hooked ever since.

Return to “News”