Leonard & Anjani Tonight at the Richard Goodall Gallery

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
simonmoorehead

Leonard & Anjani Tonight at the Richard Goodall Gallery

Post by simonmoorehead »

Arrived 5, let in 5.15 and 20 minutes later - We'll what can I say the great man was there - Anthony H Wilson. He's not a well guy apparently, kinda wild around the edges but still a legendary Mancunian. Leonard was his hero, met in 197* when Leonard played Chelsea Hotel for him in the Studio. Leonard they didnt get the line Giving me ....., Leonard said they never do! Next time he met him was on Union Street San Francisco, when he and Leonard got drunk. "Leonard taught me not to give a fuck!" I spilt some wine and cared, Leonard spilt a litre and cared less. Leonard is my hero. Leonard replied he wishes he been the guy Anthony thought he was it sounded great fun.

Richard said a few words of thanks to his wife and welcome to the attendees, beaming with pride and relieved his new Gallery was open full and splendidly set out with so many (57?) Cohen prints in identical frames. Beautiful. Leonard mingled though he finds this meet the public stuff "an ordeal". Anjani chatted and both posed for handshakes and photos - no autographs but he had presigned posters and guides which sold out.

Richard has a superb gallery - get yourselves down there - he has put a tremendous effort into this show and it paid off I hope. The prints are superb, the framing excellent. I wish I could buy more!

Great to meet Barry (Born with a Gift) Jim Devlin and Davido & their significant others(per Del Boy) at the Gallery. Phil Neville's double was there too - a soccer player with taste (I'm a City fan so even more surprising) - he looked like he was in the market!

Got a pic of my boy (aged 11- doesnt appreciate the great man Leonard not Anthony) with LC.

Thanks Richard for the invite.................and Leonard has left the building at 5.50.

Fantastic!!!!!!!

Simon
i would like to buy any artwork by lc
simonmoorehead@yahoo.com

Snow is Falling , there's a nude in my room!
lizzytysh

Re: Leonard & Anjani Tonight at the Richard Goodall Gallery

Post by lizzytysh »

Thank you for your wonderful account, Simon. I've kept checking to see who would say something first and then, of course, what they would say! Great description... and Anjani ~ what a bonus for everyone who hasn't yet had the pleasure of meeting her 8) .

Yes, the pictures are stunning, aren't they? I'm so glad to hear that people were able to get their photos taken with them. It sounds like a wonderful Gallery and a splendid opening.

Looking forward to everyone else's accounts and to any photos.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
daveeliver

Post by daveeliver »

Hi,For me after 38 years,it was a special evening and so pleased I turned up after friends backed out,and initially being intimidated by the restrictions posted by the gallery.
However I understand, and the people from the gallery were great!
They really were. Thank you.
So good to speak to people from the forum and surprised who they were!
It was so special to speak to Leonard and Anjani.
I thanked them and for for what they have given towards my life, and for some reason they kept thanking me.
Gracious is a word I'd hesitate to use,but........
I took a few photos and ended up with a poster that wasn't mine. Possibly Davido.
If it's yours (Blue Guitar poster) not expensive but worthwhile, give me a shout.
I didn't have a digital camera,but if possible I'll send copies of photos to people who are captured on film!
See you at the Pigalle!
Thanks again
Dave
ps How can I change my user name from too boring David Everatt to daveeliver
[***the name has been changed according to your request! / Jarkko ]
Look after yourself and (each)others. All the best Dave ♫♫♫
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks, David, for your report. You're so right on how much it means after so long. Unfortunate that your friends backed out. Did their invitations get used by others? Gracious is a great word... for starters!

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
secretchord

Post by secretchord »

well I thought I might be first to post but having been kept out late by damellon and her reprobate crew I've only just got back

what an experience, there's nothing I can say really to describe it, meeting Leonard was possibly one of the most important things that's ever happened to me, he is utterly amazing, so humble, he kept telling us how moved he was that we'd come along, I must admit he looked slightly overwhelmed but the love that was in the room and being directed towards him would overwhelm anyone I reckon and how small he is! he's tiny, just skin and bone seemingly, a little sweet guy beaming in awe at what was going on around him

myself and everyone I spoke to was just uplifted by meeting him, certainly won't forget that in a hurry

my evening ended by performing a couple of Leonard songs at an open mic night before a select crowd of forum posters (and assorted drunks) and with a feeding-back, out of tune guitar so sorry Leonard (and anyone who was there) although some people were kind enough to say they enjoyed it (I did a couple of my songs too)
...that David played and it pleased the Lord...

http://www.myspace.com/morrinmusic
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Leonard is magnificent 8) .

Thank you for sharing what you said you can't describe, Secret Chord :) . I know there aren't many words available to describe an encounter of such personal importance.

Thank you for sharing your report. I can't believe that, after going out afterward for a good time, you actually thought you might be first to post :lol: . You probably sounded much better than you're giving yourself credit for, too.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
secretchord

Post by secretchord »

don't know when I'm ever going to sleep again but it certainly won't be tonight, just listening to Leonard albums one after another into the small hours

I'm on 'Ten New Songs' at the moment
...that David played and it pleased the Lord...

http://www.myspace.com/morrinmusic
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

don't know when I'm ever going to sleep again but it certainly won't be tonight, just listening to Leonard albums one after another into the small hours
8) ... just like the good ol' days, when there seemed to be plenty more time to do just that. I understand your inspiration.

I've been listening to Anjani's "Anjani" album for the past, approximately three hours over and over and over.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Tony

Post by Tony »

On a more prosaic tone, what were the prices then?
margaret

Post by margaret »

Catalogues £15, choice of 2 posters £10 each - Blue Guitar on chair, or It was the hat after all. A lot of these were pre-signed at no extra charge, but most had gone by the time we arrived after getting lost in Manchester. Managed to get a signed catalogue and poster :D I presume you meant these and not the actual prints? A small size one a friend bought came to around £1030 after costs for p & p, frame and insurance to Ireland.

BTW, Julie Felix was there too, as well as many familiar faces from the Forum.

Posted the following last night before finding Simon had started a new thread

Just got home after a wonderful evening :D

Almost missed meeting Leonard after arriving nearly an hour late having got lost in the wrong part of Manchester. But after passing small gifts for him to Mrs Goodall, Leonard was gracious enough to come out and see us and, and he and Anjani stayed talking to others in the gallery until closing time.

It was lovely to meet up with some old Cohen friends from here and meet some new ones - Hello Elfra, Davido, David E, SecretChord, Eric and his brothers and Damellon and Red Poppy from Ireland. A great night.

Still buzzin'. Having a large brandy right now with some chocolate.

Thank you Leonard and Anjani, and Richard and Mrs Goodhall.

Margaret and John

Still on a high today, and didn't manage to sleep much last night!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I'm glad you finally got to where you needed to be to meet Leonard, Margaret. A close call :shock: .

Those prices are EXCELLENT. These are GREAT deals on the 'smaller' items. In Toronto, they were $25 CAD [$23.90 USD] for an unsigned catalogue. $75 CAD [$71.71 USD] for a signed one.

For an unsigned poster of the Grecian Woman [one poster available instead of two choices] $25 CAD [$23.90 USD] and for a signed one $45 CAD [$43.02 USD]. I would love to have Blue Guitar on chair 8) and It Was the Hat After All [the closest to a true-likeness, self-portrait of all them and, like the others, such great humour.

So, are you saying Leonard and Anjani came back out after having already met with everyone? If so, that's really superb 8) . What time did the Gallery close?

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Born With The Gift Of A G

Post by Born With The Gift Of A G »

Simon,

I have to correct you on a couple of issues...

(i) the footballer present was Gary Neville....and not his brother Phil. Apparently, he paints when he's not turning out for United or being Beckham's best man.

(ii) Leonard had not left the building at 5.50pm, as I was talking to him an hour later!

Anyhow, it was great to meet you again, together with the likes of Dave from Wigan and the iconic Red Poppy, and I echo your comments about what a splendid exhibition Richard Goodall has assembled.
We owe him a huge vote of thanks for his persistence in cajoling LC to allow his artwork to be displayed....and in Manchester, too!
Myriad thanks to LC and Anjani for their patience, civility and generosity, particularly for allowing plenty of photographs and autographing the various items that people had brought along.
LC looked overwhelmed by the warmth of the response to his artworks and is apparently delighted with how they have been framed and displayed in Manchester.
I managed a few words with the divine Anjani as the evening drew to a close (and the majority of the crowd had dispersed) and wished her well with her forthcoming tour.
She very kindly introduced me to LC and I thanked him for coming to Manchester and, well,....just being Leonard Cohen, really!
I'm now off to pawn my wife's collection of shoes and jewellery in order to fund the purchase of a second painting....
"Little lady.....I AM Kris Kristofferson....."
London: 10 & 11 May 1993; Manchester: 17, 18, 19 & 20 June 2008; Vienna: 25 September 2008; London: 17 November 2008; Paris: 26 November 2008; Manchester: 30 November 2008; Liverpool: 14 July 2009; Paris: 28 September 2012; Manchester: 31 August 2013; Leeds: 7 September 2013.
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

First of all my thanks to Mrs Goodall. Having arrived late, Margaret and I were told we had just missed Leonard. We had a couple of special gifts to give to him and I asked Mrs Goodall if she could get them to Leonard before he left the UK today. I explained who we were and she went to the back rooms of the Gallery and emerged to tell me that she had passed the books on to Leonard who expressed his thanks.
I asked if he were to reappear or not, and Mrs Goodall said that, at time, it was not planned that he would, but within 2 minutes I saw Anjani and then Leonard emerge from the rear rooms into the corridor.
He came out with Anjani and shook my hand immediately, thanking me and Margaret for the books, expressing particular delight in Margaret's gift, of 'The Prison Diaries of Ho Chi Min,' which she had picked up in Vietnam. It is full of beautiful and moving poetry. We chatted to him and Anjani for about 5 minutes and he was happy to have his photograph taken with the two of us. Having wished Anjani a Happy Birthday, I wondered if she too would like to have a photo with Margaret. "Of course," she replied.
A couple of minutes later, Leonard, who was chatting close by to another admirer, upon seeing me said, "Hello Byron." Then I turned to see Julie Felix standing next to me and I introduced myself and Margaret to her. We had seen her at a local Folk Club about 18 months ago and she remembered us. I asked her if she still goes to Greece each summer and she told us she doesn't, but spends time in her home on Minorca, but she still lives in London.

Impressions: Leonard, Anjani and Julie, are all dainty people who have an overwhelming charm, patience and humility. Right up to the end of the evening (when the doors were being closed) Leonard and Anjani were still talking and 'listening' to several people. There was no 'celebrity' attitude on show and they both were attentive to each person they were with. I felt better and happier for having spoken to them both in person.

I must repeat my heartfelt thanks to Mrs Goodall for allowing Margaret and I to have the chance of meeting Leonard and Anjani, and thanks to Leonard and Anjani for making a special effort to come out and speak to the pair of us.

I must also thank the boys and girls who behaved like elegant swans throughout the evening, as they carried drinks around in such a crowded venue. Cool, calm and collected on the surface, but paddling away like mad to ensure that all the guests were attended to.
It was an evening I shall never forget.

I'll simply add my comments to Margaret's in saying hello to all the Irish, Welsh and Londinium contingent who rounded of the night with us all enjoying a terrific meal in that Mexican Restaurant.

What a night!!!
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
elfra

Post by elfra »

There was the most terrific thunderstorm in Manchester at 2.30 on Sunday afternoon; I guess this was the Almighty acknowledging Leonard’s arrival, by 5pm it was the most beautiful of early evenings, the sun reflecting like diamonds on what was left of the rain.
What a wonderful night.
I shook hands with Leonard, and thanked him for the years of joy his work has brought me and handed him a small gift.
I felt there was an aura of peace, calm and loving kindness about the place that was emanating from Leonard, and a very humbling experience it was.
A very kind stranger offered to take a photograph of me with Leonard and email it to me. I didn’t take my camera since the gallery said no photos.
I lost one of my posters, after the waiter dropped a tray of drinks near me, I’d put them on the floor to wipe the wine off my trousers when I turned round there was only one, I asked Mrs. Goodall if it had been handed in but no joy, now I see David had picked it up by mistake, so hopefully we can arrange to get it to me.
I’ve been on cloud nine all day, someone even asked me if I’d had a face lift :? I must get to see L.C. more often if that’s the effect he has on me, and less painful than surgery.
I’d also like to thank Richard Goodall, his dear wife and the staff for a first class premiere, how fitting that the superb new gallery opened with Leonard Cohen.

many thanks to all concerned

Liz.
Paula

Post by Paula »

I can add nothing to the above posts except to say it was worth the years and years of waiting to see Leonard. What a genteel man who was kindness itself to all who pestered him for photos or signatures. I can now cross off one of my things to do before I die. His paintings in the flesh were stunning and so was Anjani. A day I will remember for ever.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009

Return to “News”