Review of I'm Your Man in The Guardian

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Born With The Gift Of A G

Review of I'm Your Man in The Guardian

Post by Born With The Gift Of A G » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:01 pm

"Little lady.....I AM Kris Kristofferson....."
London: 10 & 11 May 1993; Manchester: 17, 18, 19 & 20 June 2008; Vienna: 25 September 2008; London: 17 November 2008; Paris: 26 November 2008; Manchester: 30 November 2008; Liverpool: 14 July 2009; Paris: 28 September 2012; Manchester: 31 August 2013; Leeds: 7 September 2013.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:26 am

Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man

(Cert PG)
Peter Bradshaw
Friday November 24, 2006
The Guardian
(3 stars of 5)

Well, he's not everybody's man, easily derided as a miserablist droner, but Lian Lunson's documentary about a huge Cohen tribute concert in Sydney interspersed with interviews with A-list admirers and the man himself, went a long way towards winning me round. Cohen is amiable and thoughtful: possessed of great and unapologetic moral seriousness about his vocation as poet and songwriter, yet never pompous. He is a stoic and a realist; his moral view is not to try to change the world and its squalor. He says there is rather a deeper courage in standing, guiltless, in the midst of this predicament.

The cover versions of his songs were, for me, a revelation, particularly the sparkling readings by Rufus Wainwright, who sings Everybody Knows, Chelsea Hotel No 2 and the famous Hallelujah. Detaching the melodic line from the anchor of Cohen's rumblingly low voice allows them to inhabit new musical worlds - they become sprightly, catchy, almost insolent. The talking-head tributes were likeable, too, though a very false note was struck by the self- congratulatory Bono. That apart, a winning introduction to the man's work.
Unspoken Words

Post by Unspoken Words » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:30 pm

Tom Sakic wrote:Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man

(Cert PG)
Peter Bradshaw
Friday November 24, 2006
The Guardian
(3 stars of 5)

Well, he's not everybody's man, easily derided as a miserablist droner, but Lian Lunson's documentary about a huge Cohen tribute concert in Sydney interspersed with interviews with A-list admirers and the man himself, went a long way towards winning me round. Cohen is amiable and thoughtful: possessed of great and unapologetic moral seriousness about his vocation as poet and songwriter, yet never pompous. He is a stoic and a realist; his moral view is not to try to change the world and its squalor. He says there is rather a deeper courage in standing, guiltless, in the midst of this predicament.

The cover versions of his songs were, for me, a revelation, particularly the sparkling readings by Rufus Wainwright, who sings Everybody Knows, Chelsea Hotel No 2 and the famous Hallelujah. Detaching the melodic line from the anchor of Cohen's rumblingly low voice allows them to inhabit new musical worlds - they become sprightly, catchy, almost insolent. The talking-head tributes were likeable, too, though a very false note was struck by the self- congratulatory Bono. That apart, a winning introduction to the man's work.
A number of reviews have highlighted the 'false note' 'self congratulatory' 'sanctimonious' input of Bono. I have not seen the film yet (I attended the Foyle Film Festivel to see it but it was cancelled at the last moment) but from the clips I have seen Bono and U2 detract from the film. They have hijacked the reputation of LC for their own image, similar to opening live aid with Paul McCartney and their false approach to dealing with poverty.

I am generally not that keen on 'covers' of LC but the clips that I have seen of Julie Christenan singing in the film have brought me to tears. Her voice is angelic and she seems to have the right intuition, empathy and feel for the music and art of LC.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:36 pm

Yes, Julie certainly does 8) ... in person, as well as on film :D . Welcome to the Forum, Unspoken Words :D .

~ Lizzy
Unspoken Words

Post by Unspoken Words » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:01 am

lizzytysh wrote:Yes, Julie certainly does 8) ... in person, as well as on film :D . Welcome to the Forum, Unspoken Words :D .

~ Lizzy
Lizzy,

Thank you,
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:52 am

"their false approach to dealing with poverty. "
Interested in hearing why you say this, Tom?
osmachar

Post by osmachar » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:56 pm

As per my previous postings, I thought most of the cover versions in the film were absolutly gastly, because these so called singers could just not sing to save themselves. I really can't understand that nobody notices that most of their singing was plain aweful.

Return to “News”