Box Office coverage of recent music films

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

Box Office coverage of recent music films

Post by jarkko »

Box Office coverage presented by Rentrak Theatrical
by Steve Rosen (October 31, 2006)

A case could be made - at least this week - that the Dixie Chicks now are bigger than John Lennon, as far as the movie business is concerned. "Shut Up and Sing's" per-screen average was higher that that of Lionsgate's "The U.S. vs. John Lennon" ($11,523) when it opened in mid-September.
However, "Lennon" opened on six screens and grossed $69,143 in its first weekend. "Shut Up and Sing's" total for last weekend was $50,103. Neither opened as well as Lionsgate's "Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man," which did $17,130 at one location when it debuted in June on its way to an impressive $1.04 gross to date.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

What a Beautiful Loser he is in regard of this point of view that being a winner or a loser depends only of what you had the intention to realize when you were young, and as he wanted to be the poet for, let just say it like that : to the contrary of the mass, well, such a commercial success... I, therefore, do not spit on commercial success at all so : 1) i find it a great thing 2) he must have recovered his egg nest by now and financial security = liberty. Even more a great thing. Bravo!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

The income generated by the movie will go to Lions Gate Films, the director, producers, performing artists, owner of the songs (=Sony) and so on!
confetti

Post by confetti »

jarkko
will Leonard get anything from the movie, or does he have to rely on appearances and or merchandise sales?

I know he isnt that hung up on money but everyone wants to feel safe and know that their children will be financially ok when life is over.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I don't know for sure but doubt that the ticket income splits up into small streams!
For example here in Finland it goes like this:
- let's say the movie ticket costs 10 eur
- value added tax, the theater and local distributor (company that imports the film) take about half of the ticket price
- the rest will go to the company that owns the rights to the film. With this income they have to cover everything - variable costs of the film making, royalties to the artists and musicians and copyright owners, all fixed costs of the company, advertising and promoting and so on.

I have no data about this movie but in principle documentary films are not a gold mine for anyone involved (with the only (?) recent exception: Buena Vista Social Club).

DVD sales is always a very important factor. It may give bigger percentage to the film company than theater distribution!
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Yes, and nothing to Leonard I suppose, except for the performer's rights for songs (but he isn't performing any personally), while author's royalties goes to Sony (as LC doesn't own them anymore). Maybe he was payed for appearance in the movie, but I doubt it. He's the first one to be aware that this kind of movie is free advertising, like very long video clip. This movie will very probably be the greatest collector of new Cohen fans so far.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Anyway Jarkko, with this success he is back on old Boogie Street for good and as Grace just let out the news : he will be touring most of the year in 2007, no doubt, this film acted as teaser for this tour.

Yep, my young fellow fan Tom Sakic, and probably new young fans.

By the way, Jarkko, I heard about that new Start Up tape, a Finnish invention for cross country sky : no need for waxing and using different sorts for different snow, etc, really great, triple hurray to Finland for this. Yeah!

Have a look there friends of cross country skiing :

http://www.startskiwax.com/

And an article about the thing :

http://e.finland.fi/netcomm/news/showar ... SAID=30070
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I tested the tape last year and it really works! It has been a huge success here. (No snow enough yet for skiing!)
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

No snow on the ground at all here here yet. No doubt it will have a huge success around here to, think about it : no need to wax (to carry the kit, to stop to rewax etc).

Return to “News”