New edition of Nadel's book

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
tomsakic

Re: New edition of Nadel's book

Post by tomsakic »

That's the original cover of all editions, blonde_madonna (except the upcoming October 2007 US paperback)... He has his eyes closed, yes.

http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/book15.html
blonde madonna

Post by blonde madonna »

Oh Tom, I haven't seen it before, the hardback I borrowed from the local library had a plain blue cover and no photo. :?
the art of longing’s over and it’s never coming back

1980 -- Comedy Theatre, Melbourne
1985 -- State Theatre, Melbourne
2008 -- Hamilton, Toronto, Cardiff
2009 -- Rochford Winery, Yarra Valley
2010 -- Melbourne
2013 -- Melbourne, The Hill Winery, Geelong, Auckland
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

He seemed to have a bit of a sardonic smile to me... as if to the requesting photographer, "Ohhkay... I'll close my eyes... there. Eyes closed." :wink:

I like the strength of his profile.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
dangermouse

Post by dangermouse »

Wow, DBCohen (are you related to Leonard?) and LIzzytish (do you run the site?), you know so much about the man, I'm in awe of your knowledge and of your posts here. My dad is into LC and through him I got into LC as well, though it's not fashionable for a girl of my age.
I went up to try to see his work in Manchester on the Sunday but didn't have a ticket so no joy there.
But I have seen the work since and really liked a lot of it.
But you people have seen and met him, wow.
What's it like to shake the hand that wrote the songs?
I had a terrible experience last year when two friends of mine were involved in a gang thing (on differing sides, they were at my school, one of the guys was going out with a girl from the "other" side and it all got nasty) and If It Be Your Will was played at the service of remembrance in school.
It was very touching.
But thank you so much for all the information here.
And well done on the site.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi DangerMouse ~

Welcome to Leonard's Forum :D . I'm not sure what I've said that has given you the impression that I run the site; but to answer your question, no, I don't... not even close :) . Also not sure what I've said that gives you the impression that I know a lot about Leonard... but that's another no, I don't :o . I try to qualify what I say about him to make it clear that it's just conjecture, when that's what I'm doing. There are a number here who really do know a lot about him, though. Tom Sakic would be the first to come to mind.

I'm sorry you weren't able to see Leonard's exhibit, but I know that Goodall made it very clear here that you needed an invitation. Had you been participating in the Forum prior to that, my guess is that you'd have had at least a chance of being extended one. I'm not sure on what basis the invitations were extended, but it seems that many were sent to regulars here.

You said it's not fashionable for a girl your age to be into Leonard's music. Are you a teenager and still in school? If you're into Leonard's music, you have a head start on a good track.

I'm sorry to hear about the tragic situation with your friends. I'm sure that it was moving to hear Leonard's voice singing that song.

If Leonard tours with his upcoming album, you can be sure he'll come to the U.K., so your seeing him in person is still not out of the question.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Young dr. Freud

Post by Young dr. Freud »

Dangermouse,

Lizzy is just being modest. She is the site's IFC. One of most important jobs here. She is also a fount of information on Leonard. Never hesitate to ask her anything.

YdF
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi DangerMouse ~

Again, Welcome... with the old, or with the new edition of Nadel's book that's out, you will find a fount of information 8) .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
dangermouse

Post by dangermouse »

Thank you Young Dr Freud, I will.

And thank you Lizzytish.
To answer your question,I have just finished first year in University.
I gathered from your message that you think Leonard will be touring soon. Do you know when he'll be coming to the U.K.? That will be superb. Thank you for letting me know.
When is the new CD due out?
DBCohen

Post by DBCohen »

Tom,
Congratulations!
And may it become a bestseller, or at least, mat it be appreciated by the right people.

dangermouse,
No, I’m not a relative of LC (as I’ve stated on p. 2 of this very thread).
I was taken aback by your story of losing high school friends to a gang war, and especially by the way you phrased it. When you wrote they were “involved in a gang thing” it did not prepare me to the fact that they actually died. I’m probably not aware of the English usage, but would “involved” actually have the connotation that a person had died?
Last edited by DBCohen on Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dear DangerMouse ~

YdF's comment is facetious. I await the answers to your questions along with everyone else.

At times, Leonard's comments about touring seem more definitive. Other times, less so. Leonard has spoken of touring in ways such that people want to nail him down... are you or aren't you? If so, when? No one knows for sure on any of it. You will see many references to that fact throughout the discussions here.

Still, if he does tour, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to think he wouldn't come to the U.K. He has many fans there and he has toured there in his past. There is an active fan base from there on the Forum right now. He's met a number of them, very recently, as a result of his art exhibit at the Richard Goodall Gallery in London. That's all the more reason to include the U.K. in any tour plans... even when there's no need for more reason. If it were me, I'd start saving now for the possible eventuality.

No one has any idea as to when the cd will actually be out, either, as you'll also see in various discussions here. In the past, there have been delays with other cds. There were delays with his "Book of Longing," as well.

Stick around and you'll see what I'm saying with all of this. Meanwhile, for the real scoop on Leonard, check out Ira Nadel's book.

First year of university is the perfect time to get into Leonard's music. How old was your father when he discovered Leonard?

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Those of you receiving Croatian National TV :lol: , tonight you can see me and Nadel's book and it seems some archive shots of Leonard:-)) Two minutes, nothing special, daily Culture News.
Laura

Post by Laura »

Tom-you are a star now!
Laura
Anne

Post by Anne »

Supercool, Tom!
dick

Post by dick »

Tom

Sure hope you can get us a you-tube or the like clip.

Congratulations! Wonderful recognition for both Leonard and you!

Dick
Henning

Post by Henning »

As soon as I got to know Tom, I made sure to be good friend of him. I knew he'd be famous one day.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula

Return to “News”