May 13th: Leonard and Anjani Live in Toronto

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Thanks for the addition, Demetris!

By the way, we have now more concert photos from Indigo on The Files
http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/indigo2006.html
Thanks for the new photos to Kiri Nichol!
Marie was also on the spot with her camera but she is not back home yet.
peter danielsen

Post by peter danielsen »

this is fantastic news, is there anything on a tour in Europe, and especially Denmark?

Peter

Ps, I tour the town of Århus with cohen songs these days. Me and my voice and my guitar(black) on the street in cafés, it is so great and people love leonards songs
...I ..... .... ....... made . ..... ...... by ....... music .. ..... .. ......
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

. . . and people love leonards songs

~ Lizzy
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

. . . Leonard Cohen was an anxious stage mother.

I love that! The image and this way of expressing it. I wish the people had cheered for Anjani as robustly as they did for Leonard... or at least enough that the contrasting comment couldn't have been made. Not that I don't understand the ecstatic enthusiasm for Leonard, of course! She's just become very much a part of him, that point being made in various ways in commentaries... as is their album a commentary in itself. Even aside from Leonard, however, simply the sublime beauty of her voice and being. Cheers for Anjani!!

~ Lizzy
Last edited by lizzytysh on Mon May 15, 2006 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kent

Post by Kent »

Hi everybody,

Thanks for all the positive comments! I emailed Jarkko photos of the soundcheck for yesterday's event. There were only a few of us there and I didn't see any other cameras, but I may be mistaken. Anyway, enjoy them when he posts them.

Take care! :)
margaret

Post by margaret »

Thanks to Anne and Kent for the photos and reports.

It was also good to read the comments from the Dylan crowd :D
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Tri-me wrote:Kent the early bird gets the meet up ~ lucky you.

Thanks for the photos Anne they truned out very well.

Did he say anything about coming to Fredericton, Moncton Saint John, Halifax???? When is he going to announce his tour????? It is great to see him in the light after all his previous troubles.

I agree with Tchocolate don't bother reading reviews, bought the book and would rather discuss it with people rather than reading the opinion of critics. The only thing that matters to me is that I like it. esp the pictures.
What is great is that he seems to have fun, to enjoy the exercice.

Tri-me, I would go further about the book. I wonder if I will discuss it with anybody - probably (big mouth as I am), but this is an intimate book (like the rest of the body work). One journalist said that it is more like a diary than a poetry book. It as a diary form indeed. What I found amusing with him is the reaction people has about his originality, for instance, when he embodied in a non-traditional form, usually a very actual in time form, he gives to traditions.

Have a nice day! :D
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Which poem did Leonard recite? If you don't know or can't remember the name of it, could you just give the jist of it? Maybe we can track it down that way. If not, we'll still have the jist of it :wink: .

Thanks.

~ Lizzy
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Look in another thread - Leonard wrote Jarkko that he actually recited the lyrics from the new song he's working on.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:lol: I literally just saw that and commented there, Tom... thanks!

~ Lizzy
Anne

Post by Anne »

I like your photos, Kent!
Rhodes

Post by Rhodes »

It began with the words: "I used to be your favourite drunk". It seemed familiar to me, but perhaps it just struck a chord somewhere within me.

It was great to be there. I live in Ontario now, having moved from England a year or so ago, so I just had to go. For those who are interested, the performances were as follows:

Ron Sexmith / Barenaked Ladies: Heart With No Cpmpanion, followed by Sisters of Mercy.

Then The Great Man himself came on to recite "I used to be your favourite drunk" and to introduce Anjani briefly.

Anjani sang: Thanks for the Dance; Innermost Door; Half the Perfect World; No One After You. She then sang "Never Got To Love You" with Mr Cohen. Mr Sexsmith and the Barenaked Ladies then came on stage to join Leonard Cohen and the beauteous Anjani, and they all did "So Long, Marianne" and "Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye", with LC doing several of the verses on his own.

It didn't last all that long, but it was superb. I watched from over the road, by Tim Hortons, so wasn't that close, but I had a good view. Rather stupidly, I didn't take a camera with me. :oops:
lizzytysh wrote:Which poem did Leonard recite? If you don't know or can't remember the name of it, could you just give the jist of it? Maybe we can track it down that way. If not, we'll still have the jist of it :wink: .

Thanks.

~ Lizzy
evelyn

May 13th Leonard and Anjani Live in Toronto

Post by evelyn »

I was there!

I was with freinds and stood too far back to get good pics - mostly zoom
shots beween necks.

Thanks Anne!

It was a thrill to see Leonard in person!

And what's more, Indigo let me exchange the book I bought online
from them for a signed copy. I had to buy an i rewards card, but I don't mind because I get a discount and since I'm reading more Canadian
authors I will shop online at Indigo for books I can't find in New York.

evelyn
Kent

Post by Kent »

Thanks, Anne!

I was amazed to finally get that book signed! I've had it for years and always told myself my goal was to get it autographed. When "I'm Your Man" premiered at the Toronto Film Festival I waited around all day for Leonard to sign it, but he didn't show up. Then when he was here for the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame presentation, I spent about a day and a half trying to track him down. No luck again. Finally, I waited around all morning on Saturday at Indigo. I guess the third time is the charm! I hope Leonard noticed the look of relief on my face.

Hmm... this anecdote tells me that I have too much free time on my hands. I should get a second job.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Tom Sakic wrote:(...)Leonard wrote Jarkko that he actually recited the lyrics from the new song he's working on.
ahhhh... That was the one nobody found, and for a good reason.

Return to “News”