A 'devastated' Leonard Cohen

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jurica

Post by jurica » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:10 pm

Jinx,
winning and defeating? i'm not playing a soccer game or fighting here. is this forum a place for you to test your ability to argue?

if you want to claim victory, you are welcome for all i care.
Jinx

Post by Jinx » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:46 pm

Young dr. Freud wrote:
"Sarcasm is the last defence of the defeated mind"

No it isn't. It's always saying something like, "Sarcasm is the last defence of the defeated mind."

YdF
Lao tse...
And I thank you, I thank you
for doing your duty
You keepers of peace, you guardians of duty.
Your vision is right, my vision is wrong
I'm sorry for smudging the air with my song...
Jinx

Post by Jinx » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:50 pm

No, Jurica I am not posting just for the sake of argument, I'm sorry if I gave you that idea...
In fact I'm going to stop this silly discussion, this is my last post on the subject.
The reason is that most of those who answered my posts did just that (arguing but not discussing).

btw:
Voltaire lived in another time (when freedom of speach was not yet exploited for spreading hate and intolerance).
Pick up a history book, will ya?
And I thank you, I thank you
for doing your duty
You keepers of peace, you guardians of duty.
Your vision is right, my vision is wrong
I'm sorry for smudging the air with my song...
songbird

Post by songbird » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:03 am

I have been reading about the lawsuits at work (I archive newspapers if any one wants an article on leoanrd cohen let me know and I can make you a copy) and I think its aweful. I wish I could help. All I can do is pray, but his music and books, and offer to sing back up for free if he goes on tour.
Hannah
I loved you for your beauty that doesn't make a fool of me,
You were in it for your beauty too.

While pursueing your dreams, confront your nightmares.

People hold on to the past, because they are afraid of the future.
Ian Ridley

Post by Ian Ridley » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:43 am

As a fan of Leonard Cohen since I was 16, I find this news very sad.

I'm in the process of buying CDs to replace the LC LPs I bought in the late 80s and early 90s but if the royalties of his back catalogue have been flogged too this won't even help.

I would like to know what I can do to help.......
Oh, the wind, the wind is blowing,
through the graves the wind is blowing,
freedom soon will come;
then we'll come from the shadows
Tri-me

Post by Tri-me » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:31 am

I have not been following this thread. But I came across this today, a friend sent it to me. It has to do with karma and why bad things happen to good people.....

......maybe I had some really bad karma, to which he replied with the utmost sincerity and kindness;"if you had really good karma, you would have already attained enlightenment in a previous life, and passed into nirvana, so don't worry about such matters". The implication was unmistakable; we all have karmic debts, or we would not be here again trying to become enlightened; we are all "sinners", so to speak. But "sin" is temporary in Buddha's view, as opposed to "original" as it is from the modern New Testament point of view. With us, goodness is original, but as my Nyingma lama indicated, we are once again embodied here again in the first place because we have yet to shake the habit of believing we exist, and thus we are once again vulnerable to the sicknessess and calamities that sooner or later result in death. That doesn't mean that George Bush isn't a bad man, or that his policies are what we deserve because we are evil and he is good. It doesn't mean that he is going to get off scott free in the end either.
I think that one of the really big mistakes we tend to make as western Buddhists, is that we interperet statements like the one attributed to the Dalai Lama through the same old theistic sets of views; ie, if he says that the Katrina victims are suffering due to the ripening of their own karma, we tend to think and feel out of habit that : #1, this suffering is a bad thing, and/or #2, that the Dalai Lama thinks they " deserve it", in the sense that if they were good people, they wouldn't be sufferung; not in the kind and humorous way the Nyingma lama said it to me, but in the way fiery preachers tell people that it's their own damn fault and they should feel guilty because they are guilty. Both notions are based on the false premise that suffering is " bad", and that if we suffer, we ourselves must be somehow "bad" people, when what is really happening is that having made the mistake of believing in a self at one time or another,or for countless lifetimes, the actions we engaged in as causes, are now manifesting as results. The whole thing is much more dry and "matter of fact" than it sounds in the often "religious" tones of Buddhist language. The Dalai Lama may well come off sounding like a Christian preacher, even if that is not his intent, maybe in part because he is assuming that his audience understands the view that the ground of everything is basically empty and basically" good", which his audiences might not understand at all, so there is this huge disconnect, which results as you have pointed out, in the appearance of the blame the victim conservative paradigm, or any of a number of "guilt trips".
I don't believe for a minute that this is what Buddhist teachers mean; rather it is we in the west who tend to " hear" it that way. Nevertheless, it remains a big obstacle in genuinely planting firm roots of the Dharma among us here in the west. I'm not sure whether or not this bears on what you were trying to get at, but for whatever it's worth, it inspired me to to offer the above,
Cheers & DLight
Tri-me (tree-mite) Sheldrön
"Doorhinge rhymes with orange" Leonard Cohen
YankovicGretzky

Post by YankovicGretzky » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:46 am

I hope this doesn't take two years to go to court!
They sentenced me to twenty years of boredom
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:51 am

It could, Yankovic. Easily :( .
Dem

Post by Dem » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:35 am

Ian Ridley wrote:
I'm in the process of buying CDs to replace the LC LPs I bought in the late 80s and early 90s but if the royalties of his back catalogue have been flogged too this won't even help.

I would like to know what I can do to help.......
Leonard has enough money to live in decency the rest of his life.

There are many people in this world in a much worse situation.

Dem

Return to “News”