Sadness and Joy in the News

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
lizzytysh

Sadness and Joy in the News

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:24 pm

Well, this is my solution ~ at least for me :) . As time passes, various stories come to the news that really strike me one way or the other. I really want to make a comment, but don't want to start a new thread each time. So, this will alleviate that need.

Beginning with joy, I've copied-and-pasted the news about the rescue of the Russians, along with Tchocolatl's and Paula's comments.
Thank you to the Brits, who played a major role in rescuing the seven Russians from out of their rescue submersible.

[I didn't want to start a new thread to say that, but did want to say it.]

~ Lizzytysh
From Tchocolatl ~
Yes A big hurray for the rescue! What a story I was suffocating just to hear about that! (I would never, ever be a fellow submarine member! Arrggg just to think to be in a can down doowwwwnnn there, and now this. ohhhhh )
From Paula ~
Lizzie it was good news about the Russian sub wasn't it. I am so glad they got out OK. We are an island race and this is when the Royal Navy comes into its own.
Last edited by lizzytysh on Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:35 pm

Now, is sadness regarding the death of news anchor Peter Jennings. He died last night of lung cancer at age 69. Originally, he hailed from Canada and moved to N.Y.C. many years ago to work for ABC. He became a foreign correspondent. He later went to Beirut and opened the first, American TV bureau in the Arab world.

Some comments about him include, "He really did think that news about what was going on in the world was really important, was undercovered, even then, by most of the networks. He greeted stuff like the "OJ" story with a great deal of unhappiness."

" . . . after the shelling of the Sarajevo Market (I think that was '95), he almost single-handedly kept that story in front of the American, news-viewing public."

In time enough for the last, U.S. Presidential election, he had acquired U.S. citizenship and was thrilled to finally be able to vote for the first time. The commentator adds that Peter never imagined it would be his only time.

There is an NPR tribute to him in his passing, "Bidding Peter Jennings Farewell," via this link http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4789979 ~ just click on the "Listen" button. It really is worth listening to.

~ Lizzy
Last edited by lizzytysh on Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:46 pm

I hope others will contribute their own.

This one really struck me when I heard it, and if I have any facts about where it occurred, the nationality of the person, or any other details, please correct me.

It was about a 19-year-old boy who had been AWOL for two years from the Iraqi[?] army. He was on a bus, armed with an army-issued rifle, and the bus driver called him to the front to ask if he was on the wrong bus. The boy shot the driver twice in the head, and then shot the three others on the bus; one was the owner of a Christian bookstore, and the other two were sisters attending a teacher's college. Locals then stormed the bus and beat him to death.

I don't recall where it happened, whether it was Afghanistan, Egypt, Iraq, or Iran. There was a recording of the boy's mother blaming someone other than her son for what happened ~ perhaps, the army itself, for his having a gun[?]. I don't recall if he had, somehow, aligned himself with insurgents. Anyone who can correct these uncertain details ~ I'll appreciate it. Imagining the scene inside that bus was just, such a sorrowing image of the state of the world we are living in now, and seemed so sadly symbolic.
Last edited by lizzytysh on Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:01 pm

Yes, Tchocolatl ~ I lived the past several days imagining them down below. They reportedly spoke very little, in order to conserve oxygen, and as members of a submarine-rescue team themselves, they knew exactly what they were dealing with.

Time was apparently a major issue, and it seemed the reports were preparing the public for disaster, as they focused on the seeming inability of rescue teams to reach these men in time. I didn't realize that the Royal Navy is so skilled in these matters, Paula, but I'm grateful for their expertise. It turned out they were more ensnared than originally thought. The Brits apparently cut through a huge cable, which then allowed them to float to the surface. Now, they're trying to assess the amount of oxygen that was remaining in the unit. That will be difficult, I would think, as wouldn't the opening of it allow a rush of air to enter? Or is there a secondary enclosure prior to that unit? [There must be :? .] The report said it's not the lack of oxygen that kills, but rather the build-up of the carbon dioxide, as a result of their breathing expulsions. Not that it matters, in the end, I guess.

I didn't do well at all with the last, submarine disaster, where all the men aboard died. I'm not sure what it is, but I seem to have some kind of 'personal filter,' through which these reports reach me. It's not 'just the news' to me.
Atom Heart

Soviets?

Post by Atom Heart » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:27 pm

Might I point out to lizzytysh that the Soviet empire, also known as the
U.S.S.R, disintegrated in 1991. Soviets have been out of vogue for over
a decade.
The proper term now used is, 'Russian'.

The shooting afore-mentioned occured in the Gaza strip, I do believe.
A place where the Israelis (with U.S help!) stole Arab land in the late 40's and during several wars in the following decades.
"We loiter in winter, while it is already spring."
- H.D Thoreau
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:56 pm

Whoops, thanks. Even though I originally referred to the men as "Russians," I certainly did use the incorrect term "Soviets" when I started this thread. Thanks for the correction, Atom Heart :D . I'll return now to correct it.

Thank you, also, for helping to 'place' the tragic, shooting incident. The "Gaza strip" does sound like it may have been what it was. Tensions are sure [again] rising in that area, with the 'evacuations' beginning.

~ Lizzy
Atom Heart

Post by Atom Heart » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:44 pm

You live in Florida, eh?
Are you a republican, or just one those people who votes for whoever
you think is sexier?

They're not 'evacuating' anybody from the Gaza strip. The Israelis are
simply withdrawing their settlers who had no right to be in Palestinian land
in the first place.
- H.D Thoreau
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:06 pm

Well, Atom Heart ~ I think I'll just bypass your small [literally] challenge [literal]. No idea from what recesses it originates, but not concerned enough to know, either. Or, am I to inquire as to whether your avatar indicates the dimensions of your heart? That is not to suggest that you hurt mine; however, it seems about as related. If you'd paid attention to almost anything I've ever written here, your 'questions' would already be answered.

The term that I believe is being used is "evacuation." If a correction is needed on it, please give it. However, when people are being offered money by the government for settling, elsewhere, peacefully; and about half are expected to remain [as leaving would be against their will]; and the eliminating of people from an area is expected to happen in four stages, then "withdrawing" doesn't seem to be the correct term, either.

Now, I have a question for you. Which is it of the two, Al Gore or George Bush, that you would consider sexy :lol: ? Or are you suggesting that I haven't voted since the Clinton administration :wink: ?

By the way, your theory could get real tricky in the local politics of where I live :lol: .
Nan

Post by Nan » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:37 am

Atom Heart, I've never laughed so hard. Asking Lizzytysh if she's a Republican. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Atom Heart you should try to read a few back posts of members before you jump to such wild conclusions.

Lizzy, did you laugh as hard as I did? :lol:
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:54 am

Nice idea this thread Lz :D

Now if they could - please, gentlemen - pick up their garbage, everybody will be better.

P.S. Sorry to others if I can not have time to answer now, in other threads. I'll do it at some point. (lack of time)
Atom Heart

Post by Atom Heart » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:35 am

You're right, Nan.
I apologize to lizzytysh for my outburst. It was uncalled for and stupid.
In fact, I feel bad for polluting the LC forum with my trollish behavior.

Sorry, lizzytysh.

At the time, I was upset over something I read about the Iraq 'war' and
decided to attack an American over it. And as I've become enlightened
as to her political alignment, I can see she probably does not agree with
the illegal occupation (and bloody mess) her country has embroiled itself
in.

As a note, I will admit to not being a big fan of America (or at least her
foreign policies). However, to berate somebody for being an American is
simply put, unfair and silly.
- H.D Thoreau
Nan

Post by Nan » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:07 am

Don't worry Atom Heart. You will fit right in. Most everyone here berates America. Everyone is sincere in their Anti-American views. But it also seems to be quite the fashion.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:50 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yes, I did, Nan. I've been wrongfully accused of a number of things in my life, but that's a top contender for taking the cake :lol: . Sorta like asking if the Republican party chose their symbol because elephants live in N.Y.C. ~ close enough to Washington, D.C. to have borrowed the animal. :lol: :lol: :lol: If you're gonna bend and twist reality, you might as well get into it [tee-hee].

Thanks, Tchocolatl. :lol: On 'posting your sign' regarding housekeeping :lol: matters.

AH :wink: ! ~ I accept your apology. I feel that people are victims of their governments. I believe the Bible has had its way of convoluting people's thinking. I honestly do not 'know' [or claim to] who's right and who's wrong on the Gaza strip issue. Some there believe it was the Bible's prophecy coming to pass. From what I've heard, I can understand how they would believe that. Now, some have defected from the army, with their weapons, and this is looking to become a bloody mess with loss of lives ~ despite the official stance being that the army is going in without their guns, to bodily remove people by their arms and legs ~ and then do their packing for them [like there won't be looting in that case :roll: !?!]. I know this is a very hot issue, and I need to learn ~ in depth ~ both sides of it. At one point, I thought they had determined to leave it as is, with the people living/occupying there, in their homes. Did the leader who was responsible for that stance die? Did the U.S. discover that there's a massively-producing oil well there :roll: ? I need an in-depth, history lesson from both sides of the glass on this. This lesson must include history itself, plus sociology, anthropoloy, economics, religion, politics, and you might as well throw in astrology and numerology. Any other ology which may ~ or seem ~ to be relevant is welcome. To some this strip issue is very simple. To others, it is very complex. Both sides seem equally convinced.

The least you could do, AH!, while you're correcting me, however, is to correct my bloody math! Obtaining the number four did not require including the death of the perpetrator. I'll go back and delete my expressed quandary now. I can't believe the kinds of errors I'm making lately ~ spelling, grammar, and now simple math :roll: .

~ Lizzy
Last edited by lizzytysh on Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:00 pm

While I'm rolling my eyes about the bill Bush is now passing about adding 4 weeks of Daylight Savings Time :roll: [and Canada is rightfully up in arms about it, considering whether they should do the same, as they are integrally tied to us economically ~ and this will have a huge impact].....

....I am also praying for the safety of the return of the astronauts to Earth. I cannot believe they even 'planned' for setting down in Florida ~ nothing is more unpredictable than the weather in summer here! So, now, they are planning to set down at Edwards Air Force Base in California ["where the weather is much more predictable" ~ duh]. Why not have planned for it and had the families and friends and NASA staff waiting there? Anyway, with the in-space repair, and ground-control's decision to not touch the other damage, I still feel concern. Apparently, re-entry is always a danger, even when the condition of the vehicle is perfect. In two hours, hopefully they will be down here, safe.

[Less than two hours......I forgot that the two hour comment was made by the broadcasters during my awakening.]

JOY ~ JOY in the MORNING!!!
Let's HEAR
it for the WOMAN :D !!! Who said "Women can't drive" :lol: !?!

I am always so energized by these kinds of events :D .

Right-to-the-minute on schedule, banking to reduce speed, between two cities, and in full, unassisted control for the last four minutes of the flight, she brought the Discovery, spot-on, down to zero miles an hour, onto the Edwards Air Force Base runway, parachutes activated, and to a stop. Safe. What a relief.

Way to go, Commander Eileen Collins :D !!! SAFE!!!

~ Lizzy
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:29 pm

Lizzy,

This landing had me on tenterhooks as well. However, despite (or perhaps because of) the past tragedies with the shuttle, I'm pretty certain they had a reasonable expectation of success. Otherwise, they would have repaired the other damage. So much was hanging in the balance, in addition to the lives of the astronauts.

But, yes, I'm glad they're safe. In this age, it's so wonderful to see that our 'explorers' include so many women (and not in the mess hall!).

Linda.

Return to “News”