Vancouver premiere of LC's Book of Longing - Philip Glass song cycle

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
B4real

Vancouver premiere of LC's Book of Longing - Philip Glass song cycle

Post by B4real »

The Erato Ensemble performs March 26 at St. Andrew's-Wesley in downtown Vancouver.

It's the Vancouver premiere of Philip Glass's song cycle, based on the poetry and artwork of Leonard Cohen.

https://www.burnabynow.com/local-arts/e ... rs-5175845
Two singers from New Westminster and Burnaby will be in the spotlight at the Erato Ensemble’s next Vancouver concert.
The Vancouver-based chamber group is set to perform on Saturday, March 26 at 7:30 p.m. in the newly restored St. Andrew’s-Wesley United Church.

The concert features the Vancouver premiere of Book of Longing, a concert-length song cycle featuring music by Philip Glass, based on the poetry and artwork of Leonard Cohen.

“The inspired collaboration of Glass and Cohen has resulted in a vibrant work that straddles the classical and pop genres. Glass’ instrumental arrangements utilize his trademark arpeggios and rhythms, while Glass’ melodic settings of Cohen’s poems still embody Cohen’s unmistakable voice,” a press release says.

The music is scored for two keyboards, winds, strings and percussion, plus four voices. Two of those are local: New Westminster’s Melanie Adams and Burnaby’s Steve Maddock.

Erato is the first ensemble to be granted permission to perform the work, outside of the Philip Glass Ensemble.

Get tickets for Erato Ensemble’s Book of Longing
Tickets are general admission, by section, with prices ranging from $17 to $44. You can buy online through Eventbrite https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/book-of-lon ... urnaby+now or find more information at Erato’s website.
St. Andrew’s-Wesley is at the corner of Burrard and Nelson streets (1022 Nelson St.) in downtown Vancouver.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!

Return to “News”