Record Store Day 2021: Songs of Love and Hate

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Maarten

Record Store Day 2021: Songs of Love and Hate

Post by Maarten »

Hi all

I bumped into this just now:
https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/14396

LEONARD COHEN
Songs of Love and Hate (50th Anniversary)

DETAILS
Event: BLACK FRIDAY 2021
Release Date: 11/26/2021
Format: LP
Label: Legacy
Quantity: 5000
Release type: RSD Exclusive Release

50th anniversary edition on 180g opaque white vinyl, with updated / re-typeset embossed packaging that includes a brand new eight page, 12x12 lyric booklet. The audio has been sourced from the original analogue tapes via a new direct digital transfer. PACKAGING NOTE: Track list on back of LP jacket is a sticker that comes off when the cellophane is removed so that the jacket replicates the original package without tracklist.

RSD2021-SOLAH.jpg
All good things
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
mutti

Re: Record Store Day 2021: Songs of Love and Hate

Post by mutti »

Is this only on vinyl Maarten?
Looking for CD.

Thanks for posting!

Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
B4real

Post by B4real »

Leslie,
The Official LC site https://www.leonardcohen.com/ only mentions this:
On November 26, there will be a special reissue of Leonard's 𝘚𝘰𝘯𝘨𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘓𝘰𝘷𝘦 & 𝘏𝘢𝘵𝘦 album for the 50th anniversary. The 12" record will appear in opaque, white colored vinyl and will include a brand new 8-page lyric booklet. Be sure to check out the participating record stores near you to grab your copy. #RecordStoreDay"

https://recordstoreday.com/Stores?country=select

EDIT: 17 Sept 2021
This morning I received an email about this from Sony Music Entertainment Canada Inc and it reads similar to that which Maarten has already stated and my above post so no CD available you would think.
50 years ago, Leonard Cohen released his album Songs Of Love And Hate. In celebration of this milestone, a special edition of Songs of Love and Hate will be released on vinyl, on November 26th, for Record Store Day.

This special RSD 50th anniversary edition of Leonard Cohen's third studio album is pressed on 180g opaque white vinyl, includes a brand new 8-page 12x12 lyric booklet. The audio has been sourced from the original analogue tapes via a new direct digital transfer and the album jacket replicates the original package.
It also lists the songs and the remastered SOL&H 2007 earlier track of Dress Rehearsal Rag doesn't seem to be included -

Tracklist

Side A
1. Avalanche
2. Last Year's Man
3. Dress Rehearsal Rag
4. Diamonds in the Mine

Side B
1. Love Calls You By Your Name
2. Famous Blue Raincoat
3. Sing Another Song, Boys
4. Joan of Arc
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
oliviarodrigo

Post by oliviarodrigo »

it looks really nice and given a pressing of 5000 i would imagine most who want it should be able to get it. between rsd and national album day vinyl is most certainly selling amazing these days. a live 1970 or 1972 would have been better though but this is certainly worth getting.
frederik

Post by frederik »

Thanks. I pre-ordered a copy from a local store here in Ghent.
Don't have a record player anymore but I've lived with this album for so long that another copy won't hurt.
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

frederik wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:56 pm Thanks. I pre-ordered a copy from a local store here in Ghent.
Don't have a record player anymore but I've lived with this album for so long that another copy won't hurt.
Frederik

Looks like Music Mania has at least 2 pre-orders already! :-)

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
frederik

Post by frederik »

Hi Maarten

Ordered mine at Vynilla but MM is a favourite as well. All within walking distance of the beautiful St. Peter Square where Leonard performed so many beautiful songs. Memories and experiences never to be forgotten…

Frederik
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

frederik wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:58 pm Hi Maarten

Ordered mine at Vynilla but MM is a favourite as well. All within walking distance of the beautiful St. Peter Square where Leonard performed so many beautiful songs. Memories and experiences never to be forgotten…

Frederik
Hi Frederik

Vynilla wasn't mentioned on the RDS website under Participating Stores (https://recordstoreday.com/Stores) so didn't check their shop. :-)
And yes: Ghent and the St. Peter's Square gave us a lot of beautiful memories! By the way: the next LC Event will be in Ghent in August 2022: feel free to join us there! (more details to be announced soon)

Take care
Maarten

frederik

Post by frederik »

Hi Maarten,

Read about the LC 2022 event in Ghent somewhere on this board. Curious to find out more...

I got into the habit of mailing the Vynilla's store owner on any interesting (RSD) releases and he always nails down a copy for me. Great guy.

Frederik
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

No trace of this on any online webstore nor any Record Store Day webstore in EU nor in official LC store. ... Let's hope it will available after that date...

If you know any local music shop which is shipping inside EU (or via Discogs) just lest us all know :razz:
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Tom

The RSD website lists the following stores:

STORES IN CROATIA
CD Shop Dancingbear Osijek
Croatia Records (Rijeka) Rijeka
Dallas Music Shop Rijeka Rijeka
Croatia Records (Split) Split
Dancing Bear Split
Aquarius Music Shop Zagreb
Croatia Records (Zagreb) Zagreb
Dancing Bear Zagreb
dirty old SHOP Zagreb
FREE BIRD MUSIC SHOP ZAGREB
Woodstock record shop Zagreb

See
https://recordstoreday.com/Stores?count ... ew_search=

Maarten

tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Haha, I know the stores but... it is just list of the stores.
Will they have the vinyl depends on local Sony and will they import it in the first place. That is why I prefer to order vinyls from some good shop inside EU or from official store (but alas, most of those artists' EU stores are actually in the UK and they are not delivering vinyls to EU anymore).
Citizen_Kane

Post by Citizen_Kane »

Hi,

I finally got around to replying to this thread.

I must say: the sound quality of this release is absolutely superb, especially when listening to the cleansed record on a hifi setup. Joan of Arc really hits it out of the ballpark. Also, this reworked version of the album cover is beautiful. An absolute must-have for audiophiles.

Kind regards,
2008: Manchester, Brussels (2), Rotterdam - 2009: Lisboa - 2010: Lille, Dortmund - 2012: Ghent (3), Amsterdam (2) - 2013: Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam!

Return to “News”