New Book: The Future by Jim Devlin

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

New Book: The Future by Jim Devlin

Post by jarkko »

Everything about Leonard's The Future album and following 1993 tours in Europe & North America (including all venues and set lists!)

56 pages, A5, single-sided, plastic comb binding, with some black&white and some colour photographs

Limited edition of 1st and only edition, dated May 2021

Youy may order your copy directly from Jim Devlin. Payment via PayPal only; his account is at devlin534@btinternet.com. Do NOT send cheques or cash in the mail!
Jim is going to post a note here after all copies have been sold.
Prices including postage:
UK £10
Europe 15 euros
USA 20 US dollars
Canada 25 Canadian dollars

1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
jim devlin

Re: New Book: The Future by Jim Devlin

Post by jim devlin »

P.S.

1st and only edition is limited to 100 copies.
JD
icecreamtruck

Post by icecreamtruck »

Wow this looks brilliant.

How much background info and after-the-tour is there? I think this tour is super interesting for a few reasons.

1. Leonard's Voice/Performance Style

He was drinking more on this tour than perhaps any other. To me, on the bootlegs, he often sounds looser and more experimental/sloppy/emotional with his delivery. He seems to lose his voice at times. These are not always desireable characteristics in a Leonard Cohen show but it is really interesting that he did an entire tour this way.

2. Band dyamics, mood...

The I'm Your Man tour seemed to be a more buttoned-up and happy series of events. Something was frayed by the time The Future was ready for the road, and that is interesting.

3. Austin City Limits

Why is there ZERO footage available online, when the 88 performance is streaming in official quality for free? It's like it has been scrubbed from memory. I can never find a single clip.

4. My dad saw him on this tour and said it was the best show he'd ever seen. It was the only Leonard Cohen show he ever saw. I am so curious about what the perspective was among long-time fans.

Does this book have any insight into those things? Do any of the forum members have any thoughts?
WiTS

Post by WiTS »

jim devlin wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:38 pm P.S.

1st and only edition is limited to 100 copies.
JD
Hi, Jim

How much to post to Beijing, China? if possible, with tracking number please.

Thanks,
Weilin
············································································································
2008-06-29 Pyramid Stage, Glastonbury Festival; 2008-07-17 O2 Arena, London
Leonard Cohen Chinese Fansite since 2008 http://site.douban.com/137869/
Search LeonardCohenCHINA on WeChat and subscribe for the latest Leonard Cohen news
jim devlin

Post by jim devlin »

Hi Weilin

My Royal Mail price guide says
LARGE LETTERS UP TO 250g ... TRACKED AND SIGNED ... WORLD ZONE 1 ... £10.50.

The book wrapped inside a padded envelope is just over 203g.

Best wishes,
Jim
phillip

Post by phillip »

Have ordered the book I remember seeing Leonard at the Royal Albert Hall London 1993 and shook hands with him after the concert no idea why there is nothing of this tour online same as the 1974 1975 1976 tours but I do have the 1993 concert on cd that I attended
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
phillip

Post by phillip »

The full fankfurt 1993 concert is on YouTube
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!

Return to “News”