Special Leonard mention in art exhibition

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Andrew (Darby)

Special Leonard mention in art exhibition

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Today I took in the fabulous art exhibition of Robert Owen, ‘Blue Over Time’, at Heidi Museum of Modern Art, here in Melbourne. Robert is a famous Australian artist, who was a fellow resident with Leonard on Hydra between 1963 and 1966. He is mentioned several times in the informative book ‘Half The Perfect World - Writers, Dreamers and Drifters on Hydra, 1955-1964’ (Paul Genoni & Tanya Dalziel). I also met him recently, when he attended and spoke a few introductory words before a viewing of ‘Marianne & Leonard, Words of Love’ (NIck Broomfield), which was a special screening in conjunction with his art exhibition. :D

As part of Robert’s exhibition, there were some photos of his time on Hydra and, in particular, of two early publications of Leonard’s poetry (The Spice-Box Of Earth & Flowers For Hitler), one of which Leonard signed with a droll comment and both of which were presented to Robert in exchange for three flutes that Robert made for him. 8)

Cheers,
Andrew :)
Attachments
54032FC9-DC68-4451-BC5A-B3767FAC6170.jpeg
4C40DBF7-B4ED-4E4D-95B7-B940A7AB5571.jpeg
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
B4real

Re: Special Leonard mention in art exhibition

Post by B4real »

Andrew, thanks for answering my unspoken question about which LC books they were and the inscription words.
About a week ago I received this email link below from the Brisbane Times about Robert's art exhibition and they didn't state any inscription words or title/s to the book/s - https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/cultur ... e=rss_feed
It’s a bewildering selection, from a book of poems inscribed by Leonard Cohen (a fellow resident on Hydra) to some spindly sculptures from early days, to a vibrant blue installation and a room-sized geometric painting.
I searched to try and find it and this was as close as I got - https://www.broadsheet.com.au/melbourne ... rvey-heide

It looks like an interesting exhibition 8)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Andrew (Darby)

Re: Special Leonard mention in art exhibition

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Bev, I’m glad I could answer your question and it’s a pity you aren’t able to see this exhibition, as I know you’d really enjoy it too. :?

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~

Return to “News”