mini-course: Manual for Living with Defeat on Boogie Street

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
ravaub

mini-course: Manual for Living with Defeat on Boogie Street

Post by ravaub »

Hevre shalom/Dear Friends--

Hoping you are all safe and sound and remaining inspired. Passover/Easter and everything once sacred this year feels different, especially singing our respective Hallel Psalms 113-118--somehow even our custom of inserting Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" to our Passover-symposium/seder resonated in a different key. I am writing to invite you to join an inspiring journey through the recent additions to the songbook of Leonard Cohen that will serve as the basis of my next book on the Montreal bard, called--

Manual for Living with Defeat on Boogie Street: A Lexicon for Lovers of Leonard Cohen

This online mini-course will explore how and why the lyrics of the late, great Leonard Cohen—the Jewish Buddhist pop saint of Montreal and beggar-boudoir poet—continue to soundtrack our individual and collective journeys. Drawing on my book Tangle of Matter & Ghost: Leonard Cohen’s Post-Secular Songbook of Mysticism(s) Jewish & Beyond (Boston, 2017), this mini-course brings Jewish studies, critical theory and popular culture into a sophisticated dialogue rarely found in writing on this remarkable musician. I am entering a new phase of my rabbinate, and given my tenure as rabbi in Montreal ends by June 30, 2021, I am looking for creative avenues to continue researching, developing, thinking, teaching and publishing my approach to a meaningful mystical approaches to life through my non-profit, Panui. I am excited by this opportunity to collaborate with a global non-profit, continuing education school called, Borderlines, that is a wonderful synergy, as they also operate Academic Studies Press that has co-published my books on Leonard Cohen and Tiberian Hasidism. Please consider joining as well as inviting friends to join this exploration--we need a quorum-minyan to make it happen! Share widely with friends and fellow travelers.

For more information to register for this great adventure, see:

https://borderlinesopenschool.org/courses/p/cohen

Sweetest blessings for passing over defeat with love,

Aubrey

Return to “News”