How Leonard Cohen Lived Between The Hour And The Age

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Born With The Gift Of A G

How Leonard Cohen Lived Between The Hour And The Age

Post by Born With The Gift Of A G »

"Little lady.....I AM Kris Kristofferson....."
London: 10 & 11 May 1993; Manchester: 17, 18, 19 & 20 June 2008; Vienna: 25 September 2008; London: 17 November 2008; Paris: 26 November 2008; Manchester: 30 November 2008; Liverpool: 14 July 2009; Paris: 28 September 2012; Manchester: 31 August 2013; Leeds: 7 September 2013.
B4real

Re: How Leonard Cohen Lived Between The Hour And The Age

Post by B4real »

Thanks, BWTGOAG for posting this,
I liked the interesting angle of playing with time :)
Seems LC did like using "four o’clock" as he wrote it again in The Golden Gate –

“Four o'clock and the fog comes in
We all remember the sea
For several seconds our sins are forgiven
Mine against you, yours against me”

.....and sorry for rambling but I can't help in adding this comparison -
Five studio albums later, Cohen died in 2016.
Somewhere, there's a watch he wore that's ticking on and on and on. Twice every day, it reads four o'clock.
I don't know the precise time LC died but he shares the same day, exactly a week and two years later than my mother. She died at four o'clock, the very same moment when her watch also stopped ticking forever.....
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Thanks from me as well.

After Esther Cohen died, Lorca was in charge of emptying her apartment in Greenwich Village. Esther had a lot of stuff from Leonard's tours and since Dick & Linda were good friends Lorca gave them things to give to fans. One of the things they sent to me was a watch from the 1993 tour-it had stopped working, but guess what-it stopped at 4!
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
B4real

Post by B4real »

Ah Joe, that is another uncanny coincidence! And so nice for you to have that timepiece 8)
You know, when I told the undertaker that mum’s watch had stopped the same time that she died he didn’t even blink an eyelid! He just said in his experience it happens all the time, my oh my!

This springs to mind - a verse from one of Leonard’s early poems/prose from BL - God is Alive, Magic is Afoot -

“Dancing on a clock
And time itself
The magic length of God”
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!

Return to “News”