Swasticas sprayed on Leonard Cohen’s Montreal synagogue

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
basecamp

Swasticas sprayed on Leonard Cohen’s Montreal synagogue

Post by basecamp »

Montreal's Shaar Hashomayim synagogue that was attended by Leonard Cohen during his life was targeted by antisemitic vandals last Wednesday. The man who was apprehended reportedly brought a canister of gasoline to Congregation Shaar Hashomayim.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/man-arres ... synagogue/

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Berlin 90ies /2008: Amsterdam/Berlin/Hamburg/ London RAH /2009: Berlin/Barcelona 2010: Odense/Berlin/Ghent(3x)/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseilles/Hannover/Las Vegas(2x),2012: Ghent(5x)/Amsterdam(2x)/Berlin/London/Verona/Toulon/Paris(2x)/Barcelona
2013: Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
oldfriend28

Re: Swasticas sprayed on Leonard Cohen’s Montreal synagogue

Post by oldfriend28 »

Seems some of the "poison" from U.S. has filtered through to Canada. Very sad, and I hope this person is prosecuted. We had the episode in New Zealand (one of our citizens apparently), who killed so many Muslims. :(
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

This is horrifying and heart breaking. And it is terrifying in terms of the future. I am livid.
Yes, the poison from here has spread. I hope the energy does not take hold in Canada's primarily peaceful land. I thank G~d that Leonard didn't witness this. I shudder that Leonard's dear friends have. I want to hear Leonard's words and wisdom that I know he would be committing to more poetry, song, and interview, as we are already living his original song on our future. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I am really sorry to hear that this has happened. When we attended a service at the Shaar at the invitation on Cantor Gideon Zelermayer a couple of years ago we were shocked to find security stationed on the door on the Shabbat, security which we had never seen whenever we'd passed the buildings on other days of the week. Clearly they live with the constant threat of antisemitic attack but appear to expect the worst when the sanctuary is open on the Sabbath.

Wendy
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Horrified to hear this. Relief that the perpetrator was apprehended.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

It’s a disgrace, why can’t people peacefully respect each other :cry:
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.

Return to “News”