New 1970-1971 recordings available on Apple Music

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
FieldCommanderRobin

Re: New 1970-1971 recordings available on Apple Music

Post by FieldCommanderRobin »

I share everyone's eager interest in getting the recordings as well. It would be much appreciated if anyone could help out.
Niarchos

Post by Niarchos »

I missed this. For someone who followed Leonard around all over Europe to see his last tours and has scrupulously bought every single official recording issued all I can say is.... how disappointing that a true fan should be finagled out of being able to own this, when one of the world's biggest monopolists can put it on and off the net at will.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Niarchos wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:17 am I missed this. For someone who followed Leonard around all over Europe to see his last tours and has scrupulously bought every single official recording issued all I can say is.... how disappointing that a true fan should be finagled out of being able to own this, when one of the world's biggest monopolists can put it on and off the net at will.

I am not sure who (or what) you are referring to by "one of the world's biggest monopolists", but these recordings would have been issued purely for copyright reasons -- that is, before 50 years had elapsed -- in order to renew the copyright. Thus, it is the holders of the copyright who made the decision to release them briefly, and then to remove them, in order to keep them under copyright, and thus it is not simply a matter of someone "put[ting] it on and off the net at will" to "finagle" true fans -- there was a specific, and legal, reason for it.
MikeMic

Post by MikeMic »

The copyright releases have been done by The Beatles, The Beach Boys, The Stones, & Bob Dylan to name a few (since 2012). Usually always in Dec. for the recordings that turned 50 the same year. Some of these artists leave them up for sale, others have been pulled after a short time. It's no surprise the Cohen estate is doing this also (still wish I would have thought to check so I could hear these). It's highly likely something was also released & pulled for 1968/69 (why would they skip the second album if the goal is to protect everything).

This reminds me a bit of the Live In Fredericton EP which was released on iTunes in Canada for one day only (I think back in '12 or '13). Fortunately I was able to score that digital master (which I'd be happy to offer in trade for anyone who has the 70/71 recordings).

For the future, everyone's best bet is to check those Friday release days in December. If you don't live in a country where the release is available, you can switch to Uk or Canada iTunes and redeem an iTunes gift card purchased from that country and you should be able to download (at least this used to worked a number of years ago). You can find these country specific iTunes gift cards on places like eBay.
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

I've recently received these recordings in beautiful packaging from a fellow Forum member. The Berkeley Community Theater concert was just 16 days after the concert in Madison that Anne & I attended (Separately-we wouldn't meet for two years). It is a beautiful recording and sends us back in time.

The band was Bob Johston, Elkin (Bubba) Fowler, Ron Cornelius, Charlie Daniels, Corylnn Hanney, Sue Musmanno.

I became Facebook friends with Corylnn Hanney and got her album "Shine" which is very good. She really wanted to get it to Leonard and asked me to help her get backstage when Leonard played Vancouver, But that was in the days that Leonard was really being protected. Corylnn died of Alsheimers last year.

Bill Camplin who performed at the Madison Leonard Cohen Event introduced me to Bill Staines who it turns out was a good friend of Elkin (Bubba) Fowler and Sue Musmanno. Bill Staines said he had heard lots of stories about the tours with Leonard. I assumed they were drug related. Elkin & Sue left Leonard in France and changed their names to Elkin & Aileen Thomas and became great folk singers. Here is a YouTube of them performing with Bill Staines. Couldn't be more clean cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXCebQ-rP6k

The last connection is with Charlie Daniels. I was managing a Holiday Inn in Madison and Charlie and his band stayed there. About 2 PM Charlie came into the dining room and sat down. We only had one waitress on at the time and she was in the back doing prep work. I walked through twice and noticed that he hadn't been served. He called out, "Can I get some service here?" I went immediately to the back to fetch our waitress. I really regret that this bad start prevented me from talking about his time with Leonard.
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thanks Joe,
That was interesting reading 8)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Jordango

Post by Jordango »

Would love to find out how to get these also.
charliepoet

Post by charliepoet »

Can someone please share this with me? Here's my email. Thank you in advance. I am gobsmacked and don't know what else to say. I am very disheartened that people are posting about how beautiful this music is and yet they won't share it. I will never understand that. We all very much want to hear it and it's a shame you have to be a part of some exclusive club to actually have the honor to be bequeathed these recordings. For me anyhow Leonard's music isn't about that. There has to be one kind soul out there who gets it and will share. I cannot believe no one will even answer me and I thought Dylan collectors could at times be selfish. charles@cicirella.com
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

charliepoet wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:27 am I cannot believe no one will even answer me and I thought Dylan collectors could at times be selfish.
you in the bootlegging business? you can't just march in here for the first time demanding something and expect everyone to jump. stick around and get to know people instead of belly-aching like a spoilt brat who needs to grow a pair.
https://youtu.be/SbU_3eWiz4I
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

Geoffrey,

Not only did your response give me a chuckle, it also provided the opportunity to listen to one of the Rolling Stone's best songs!

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

its4inthemorning wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:15 pm Geoffrey,

Not only did your response give me a chuckle, it also provided the opportunity to listen to one of the Rolling Stone's best songs!

well, i am here to entertain. i too love that song, reminds me of the trump rallies :)
charliepoet

Post by charliepoet »

Wow so how many hoops does one have to jump through to be deemed worthy? And no not a bootlegger - just a fan who like so many here just want to hear the music.
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Jordango and Charliepoet

I have both send you a message regarding the Copyright Collection!
And welcome, welcome cries of voice
Let all my guests come in
--- Leonard Cohen, The Guests
All good things
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
tmurdock2

Post by tmurdock2 »

Hi everyone!

I too am interested in any info about finding these tracks. I need something to listen to as I complete my new LC jigsaw puzzles! ;-)
Curious if the same copyright issue was responsible for the recent release of the 'Live in Session '68' vinyl?

Many thanks!
MikeMic

Post by MikeMic »

Speaking of '68. This is a nice upgrade for those interested. http://www.profstoned.com/2016/09/leona ... toned.html

Return to “News”