New 1970-1971 recordings available on Apple Music

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
tomsakic

Re: New 1970-1971 recordings available on Apple Music

Post by tomsakic »

Listening right now to the superb recording of the Royal Albert Hall 1970 concert. I never heard the 1970 tour in this quality before.

Whenever Apple Music removes it, it is secure now in my hard disc as well :razz: Thanks to all involved and to Maarten, the good spirit of this place.
Citizen_Kane

Post by Citizen_Kane »

Aaaaand... as of now all the albums have been removed from Apple Music / the iTunes Store. As predicted.

Thanks to all for the great efforts!
2008: Manchester, Brussels (2), Rotterdam - 2009: Lisboa - 2010: Lille, Dortmund - 2012: Ghent (3), Amsterdam (2) - 2013: Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam!
matthiasw

Post by matthiasw »

I cannot access or find any of these recordings on Apple Music any more - can any kind soul point me anywhere where I could find them?

That would make this Christmas after a really bad year very special.

Matt
Citizen_Kane

Post by Citizen_Kane »

Hi all,

For archival purposes, here are the track listings for the six Leonard Cohen 1970-71 Copyright Collection albums that were briefly released through Apple Music / iTunes Store on saturday December 19th 2020 but were already offline by tuesday.

1970-71 Copyright Collection:
Live at Berkeley Community Theater, November 1970
1. The Stranger Song
2. Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye
3. Bird on the Wire
4. So Long, Marianne
5. News From the Authorities (improvisation)
6. In the Interests of Those Who Are Not on the Stage / Dead Song
7. Lady Midnight
8. One of Us Cannot Be Wrong
9. Joan of Arc
10. Tonight Will Be Fine
11. The Partisan
12. Sisters of Mercy
13. Diamonds in the Mine
14. Story of Isaac
15. Famous Blue Raincoat
16. Sing Another Song, Boys
17. Suzanne
18. Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye (2nd version November 15, 1970)
19. As The Mist Leaves No Scar (Poem)
20. You Know Who I Am
21. Seems So Long Ago, Nancy

Total: 21 songs, 1 hour 29 minutes

Live at Henderson Hospital, August 1970
1. Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye
2. The Arms of Regina
3. Bird on a Wire
4. So Long, Marianne
5. You Know Who I Am
6. Dead Song (Poem)
7. Lady Midnight
8. One of Us Cannot Be Wrong
9. The Stranger Song
10. Tonight Will Be Fine

Total: 10 songs, 40 minutes

Live at Royal Albert Hall, May 1970
1. Bird on a Wire
2. So Long, Marianne
3. You Know Who I Am
4. Dead Song (Poem)
5. Lady Midnight
6. One of Us Cannot Be Wrong
7. The Stranger Song
8. For E.J.P. (Poem)
9. Avalanche
10. Joan of Arc
11. Tonight Will Be Fine
12. The Partisan
13. Sisters of Mercy
14. Diamonds in the Mine
15. Story of Isaac
16. Famous Blue Raincoat
17. Sing Another Song, Boys
18. Travel (Poem)
19. Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye
20. Suzanne

Total: 20 songs, 1 hour 19 minutes

Live at The Olympia, May 1970
1. Bird on a Wire
2. So Long, Marianne
3. You Know Who I Am
4. Dead Song (Poem)
5. Lady Midnight
6. One of Us Cannot Be Wrong
7. The Stranger Song
8. Joan of Arc
9. Tonight Will Be Fine
10. The Partisan
11. Sisters of Mercy
12. Az der Rebbe singt (When the Rabbi Sings)
13. Diamonds in the Mine
14. Story of Isaac
15. Famous Blue Raincoat
16. Sing Another Song, Boys
17. Travel (Poem)
18. Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye
19. Suzanne
20. So Long, Marianne (Encore)

Total: 20 songs, 1 hour 16 minutes

Poetry
1. What I'm Doing Here
2. Congratulations
3. The Hearth
4. The Suit
5. Style
6. My Teacher is Dying
7. For Marianne
8. Waiting for Marianne
9. Why I Happen to Be Free
10. The Way Back
11. For E.J.P.
12. The Rest is Dross
13. How the Winter Gets In
14. Winter Bulletin
15. The Lists
16. The Music Crept By Us
17. Disguises
18. The Big World
19. Front Lawn
20. Destiny
21. Guitar Instrumental #1
22. Take 2 Background Music
23. Take 3 Background Music
24. Take 4 Background Music with Voice
25. Queen Victoria - Take 2
26. Take 2 Instrumental Music
27. Music for Background Take 3
28. Background Music Take 4
29. Take 5 Background Music with Voice
30. For Wilf and His House
31. Prayer for Messiah
32. These Heroics
33. Song (The Naked Weeping Girl)
34. Letter (How You Murdered Your Family…)
35. Pagans
36. Song (My Lover Peterson…)
37. Ballad
38. Poem

Total: 38 songs, 1 hour 5 minutes

Studio Tracks - Alternates, Improvisations, and Other
1. There’s a Lot More Where That Came From (21 Sept Session)
2. Improvs: I’m In the Darkness / Avalanche (21 Sept Session)
3. Avalanche (incomplete) [21 Sept Session]
4. Last Year’s Man (incomplete) [21 Sept Session]
5. Last Year’s Man (Alternate 1) [21 Sept Session]
6. Priests (incomplete) [21 Sept Session]
7. Solitaire (incomplete) [21 Sept Session]
8. I Was Standing on the Wooden Stair (incomplete) [21 Sept Session]
9. Time for Counting (incomplete) [21 Sept Session]
10. Famous Blue Raincoat (Take 2 - incomplete) [25 Sept Session]
11. Famous Blue Raincoat (Take 3) [25 Sept Session]
12. Famous Blue Raincoat (Take 6) [25 Sept Session]
13. Sing Another Song, Boys (Take 4 - incomplete) [25 Sept Session]
14. Sing Another Song, Boys (Take 8 - incomplete) [25 Sept Session]
15. Sing Another Song, Boys (Take 9 - Alternate) [25 Sept Session]
16. Sing Another Song, Boys (Take 1) [27 Sept Session]
17. Why Don't I Have the Magic (improv - incomplete) [27 Sept Session]
18. Sing Another Song, Boys (Take 6 - incomplete) [27 Sept Session]
19. Sing Another Song, Boys (Take 8 - incomplete) [27 Sept Session]
20. Joan of Arc (spoken lyrics version) [29 Nov Session]
21. Joan of Arc (sung only version) [29 Nov Session]
22. Joan of Arc (England) [29 Nov Session]
23. Az der Rebbe singt (When the Rabbi Sings) [20 Jan Session]
24. Passing Through (Take 4 - Alternate Lyrics) [20 Jan Session]
25. Passing Through (Take 5 - Alternate Lyrics) [20 Jan Session]
26. Passing Through (Take 8 - Alternate Lyrics) [20 Jan Session]
27. Passing Through (Take 9 - Alternate Lyrics) [20 Jan Session]
28. Passing Through (Take 10 - Alternate Lyrics - double version) [20 Jan Session]

Total: 28 songs, 1 hour 33 minutes
2008: Manchester, Brussels (2), Rotterdam - 2009: Lisboa - 2010: Lille, Dortmund - 2012: Ghent (3), Amsterdam (2) - 2013: Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam!
B4real

Post by B4real »

Yes, thanks! Good to have all the info we can here for LC archival purposes and prosperity!

And here's an observation for the future as another Christmas present to us in almost exactly 3 years time ;-)
Interestingly, the 1967 studio takes and the 1970-1971 studio takes, poetry, etc were both first available on almost the same day, respectively on 18 Dec 2017 and 19 Dec 2020 for a few days.

So, maybe in 3 years time we could be privileged to have a chance to hear some similar albums from 1972.
And who knows, it may continue to happen in that manner to hopefully hear up to the 1979 tracks and beyond :D

Prediction or coincidence - either way it's something to keep in mind but be observant all the time!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile »

Yes, a wonderful Christmas gift, we have to keep an eye out for other presents, without a doubt there is a lot of material dreamed of by collectors and that we look forward to.

The path this has come has been strange and surprising :roll: , via Apple Music, with material that, at least in part, should never be commercial. I refer especially to the concert at Henderson Hospital, we know that Cohen expressly asked that it not be sold. Who has put all this together? (and who has much more). Who wants to make a profit? Will it reach Cohen's rightful heirs?
In https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... =5&t=37932 it has been talked about the theory to extend copyright, it is amazing and very likely.

From that surprising path I know the last two steps up to me, for them my infinite gratitude :D . I have excitedly recalled the exchanges at “Collectors' and Traders' Corner”, when we sent our jewellery by post on CD and DVD. I thought that sharing such stuff without economic interest, only for lovers of Cohen's work, was tolerated on this site. I dreamed that Cohen was watching us, it was also his place, he recognized it, and generously contributed with some poems and paintings.

London (Royal Albert Hall), England, 10 May 1970 http://molistoni.cat/lc/70royal.htm
As tomsakic has said, it is a superb recording. If we add the last song of the concert, "Please Don't Pass Me By" (released in "Live Songs" 1973), we have it complete. (Previously I already had a very low quality audience recording).

At L'Olympia Bruno Coquatrix, Paris, France, May 12, 1970 http://molistoni.cat/lc/70olympia.htm
At Berkeley Community Theater, Berkeley, CA, USA, November 15, 1970 http://molistoni.cat/lc/70berkeley.htm
Probably soundboard and complete.

Live at Henderson Hospital, London, England, Friday 28 August 1970 http://molistoni.cat/lc/70henderson.htm
Recording from audience, incomplete and with almost all the missed talks.
Thanks to https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14338 we know the interesting and significant story of this concert by publishing a review in the Trustwide newsletter. Sylvie Simmons also knew the recording, but with all the talks (from I'm Your Man, Chapter 12, pages 306 to 312, in the Spanish edition).
Cohen visited psychiatric hospitals, Johnny Cash preferred prisons, but the most complete was Bob Dylan, on the 1975 tour (The Rolling Thunder Revue) he performed in one Indian reservation, a correctional institution for women and animated with "Simple Twist Of Fate" the ladies dance of a residence of elderly (from Scorsese's fake documental with Renaldo and Clara footage).

Songs Of Love And Hate - Studio Tracks, Columbia Studio A, Nashville, 21 Sept 1970 to 20 Jan 1971 http://molistoni.cat/lc/70_71_studio.htm
Takes of five of the eight songs on the album and other interesting oddities, some known, some not.

1970 1971 Poetry http://molistoni.cat/lc/70_71_poetry.htm
It can be divided into three parts; in the first he recites twenty poems from “Flowers for Hitler”, in the third nine from “Let Us Compare Mythologies”, in the middle nine guitar pieces that he calls background music, three with voice, including "Queen Victoria". But, When? How? Why?
The take is very similar to that of "Live Songs". According to Simmons, he recorded it in a cabin in Tennessee in 1972 with a tape recorder borrowed from Bob Johnston. Other sources mention an hotel in Tennessee. For Alberto Manzano it was in a cabin in Franklin, Cohen was trying to record a new album for CBS, a mobile studio moved to the cabin, but "the extraordinary songs refused to come out”. Maybe all those tracks are a solitaire job in that cabin on one of Cohen's toughest post tours. This would be in 1972, not 1970-1971 as Apple Music tells.

This is my updated collection: http://molistoni.cat/lc/bootlegsa.htm

There is much more to analyze. For example, I will try to transcribe the lyrics of the "rare songs" (outtakes, improvisations, versions ...), I will use voice recognition, it will be an exciting job but very limited by my level of English. It would be wonderful if someone wanted to provide transcripts.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thanks, FYS, good analysis,
Yes, I well remember the exchanges on Collectors Corner and beyond that. I was a giver and receiver of some of those precious jewels, participating in it with no monetary advantage and simply for the enjoyment and benefit of both forum members and Leonard.

You know, I automatically thought Leonard had the copyright to those songs and therefore any money from a commercial venture went to his estate. Maybe someone else can verify this.

If you are stuck with any transcribed words I will try to help if I can. But mind you, I have unfortunately found that being a native English speaker is no advantage on some occasions :)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
pe swijngedouw

Post by pe swijngedouw »

the receiving and sending of those recordings was probably as important as the recordings themselves, to me : i have even kept the envelopes, with "exotic"stamps from "all over the world", because the sender of one more live concert recording was a real person, who had taken the time to write my address, and share the joy of listening to LC. Sending the discs on to the next person in the queue was as much a pleasure to me, and it still feels good, today, years later. So, thank you to all the "seeders" from those days, and to all who made these 70-71 recordings accessible today. You all helped to make this end of year a lot more happy.
... precisely ...
jorcx

Post by jorcx »

ForYourSmile wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:40 am Yes, a wonderful Christmas gift, we have to keep an eye out for other presents, without a doubt there is a lot of material dreamed of by collectors and that we look forward to.
Great job and research ForYourSmile, let us hope we will have more material to enjoy in the near future... best wishes ;-)
Jordi.
Barcelona 15th May '93 | Dublin 13th June '08 | Lucca 27th July '08 | London 17th November '08 | Cap Roig 15th August '09 | Barcelona 21st September '09 | Barcelona 3rd October '12
Neon_Madman

Post by Neon_Madman »

Any chance somebody could help me find these recordings? What a treat! :-D Very frustrating not to just be able to throw my money at them :lol:
depp91

Post by depp91 »

Yes, is anyone able and kind enough to share this treat?
It's a shame it was available for purchase for such a limited time only :cry:
cariadonffol

Post by cariadonffol »

How excruciating to miss out on this rare opportunity. I've just finished reading Untold Stories and listened to all the albums and watched all the available footage as a companion to the book. These recordings would have been a great companion. Why oh why didn't I check this blessed forum?! :cry:
Maybe they will be officially released, as the recent 1970 Bob Dylan copyright collection proved so popular it's now getting an official release.
timnor

Post by timnor »

Really gutted to have missed this set. Is it available for purchase anywhere or have I missed the boat ? :oops: If anyone can help out I'd be most grateful.
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hi

I have sent Neon_Madman, depp91, cariadonffol and timnor pm's about this.

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
MikeMic

Post by MikeMic »

Another surprised, yet disappointed long time fan & collector here who would love it if someone would be willing to share these recordings. This is the kind of stuff I've dreamed about hearing for years, can't believe I missed the boat.

Return to “News”