2021 Grammy Awards - Thanks For The Dance album nominated

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
B4real

2021 Grammy Awards - Thanks For The Dance album nominated

Post by B4real »

63rd Grammy Awards:
Posthumous Leonard Cohen Album ‘Thanks for the Dance’ Earns Nomination for Best Folk Album

MIKE CRISOLAGO | NOVEMBER 24TH, 2020
https://www.everythingzoomer.com/arts-e ... olk-album/
The posthumous album 'Thanks for the Dance' by Leonard Cohen, pictured above during a 2012 performance, received a Grammy nomination for Best Folk Album for the 2021 Grammy Awards.

In 2016, Leonard Cohen — then 82 and suffering from terminal cancer — recorded what fans believed would be his final album, You Want It Darker. But during those sessions he recorded extra tracks and instructed his son — singer-songwriter and producer Adam Cohen — to use them to create a posthumous album.

Cohen died in November 2016 and about seven months later, Adam returned to his Los Angeles backyard studio in a converted garage to bring his father’s voice back to life. The result, Thanks for the Dance (2019), today delivered Cohen one more accolade — a Grammy nomination for Best Folk Album.

“This record has a kind of romance and sensuousness that didn’t have a place on You Want It Darker, but these songs had been begun, and then they were never discarded. They just weren’t completed in time. That’s all,” the younger Cohen explained to Zoomer last November. “When you hear the language and the wisdom and the position from the narrator, it’s so old and thunderous and masterful that it needs no explanation for why it exists and why it’s resonant.”

The 2021 Grammy Award nominations were announced today and have the potential to prove a family affair. Fellow Canadian singer-songwriter Rufus Wainwright, 47, who is also the father of Cohen’s granddaughter, Viva Katherine Wainwright, landed a nomination for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album for his disc Unfollow the Rules — his first album of original songs in eight years.

Wainwright faces tough competition in the category though, going up against James Taylor, 72 (American Standard), Renée Zellweger, 51 (Judy), Harry Connick, Jr., 53 (True Love: A Celebration of Cole Porter) and Burt Bacharach, 92, and Daniel Tashian (Blue Umbrella). If Bacharach wins, at age 92 he’ll become the fourth oldest Grammy winner in history.

and this one too -
Leonard Cohen earns posthumous nomination

The Canadian Press
Published Tuesday, November 24, 2020 3:54PM EST
https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/montreal-co ... -1.5202802
Leonard Cohen was also nominated posthumously for best folk album. His son Adam composed music to the words of his father, who died in November 2016, to produce 'Thanks for the Dance' in November 2019. Rufus Wainwright, meanwhile, is a finalist for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album, with 'Follow the Rules'.

Songs and albums released between Sept. 1, 2019 and Aug. 31, 2020 were eligible for the Grammy this year. The 63rd annual ceremony will air Jan. 31 on CBS and Citytv.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 24, 2020.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
B4real

Re: 2021 Grammy Awards - Thanks For The Dance album nominated

Post by B4real »

Just an update for this show.
The 2021 GRAMMYs have been rescheduled to Sunday, March 14, 2021
https://www.grammy.com/grammys/news/joi ... s-air-date
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
B4real

Post by B4real »

Unfortunately, no award this year for Leonard but Nevermind, it's so good that this album was indeed nominated.

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/202 ... 234926947/
Best Folk Album
“Bonny Light Horseman” — Bonny Light Horseman

“Thanks for the Dance” — Leonard Cohen

“Song for Our Daughter” — Laura Marling

“Saturn Return” — The Secret Sisters

“All the Good Times” — Gillian Welch & David Rawlings (WINNER)
mutti

Post by mutti »

I was hopeful for an award but being nominated is also very good. I love this album and its all good to me award or not.
Would have been nice though!
It is also up for a Canadian Juno award this year but there is stiff competition for the category.
Cheers!
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...

Return to “News”