Dick Straub has passed away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
musicmania

Re: Dick Straub has passed away

Post by musicmania »

I'm so sorry to tear this sad news. Condolences to Linda, and all his family and friends. My favourite memory is when he and Linda organised the dinner in New York in 2013, and for giving us a look inside The Chelsea Hotel.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Such desperately sad news. I got to meet Dick and Linda several times over the years. Lovely people and they were always so kind to me. I will remember Dick with great fondness and really feel for Linda on her loss.

Wendy
mutti

Post by mutti »

I am so so sorry to hear about Dick! My deep condolences to Linda. Sending you strength at this most difficult time.
I met Dick in Las Vegas the first time after one of Leonard's concerts and we spent a lot of time talking and getting to know each other. Somehow it was easy to open up to Dick and every time we met after that we shared more of our lives.
I saw Dick & Linda again in NYC where he had arranged the night before the first concert at the Radio City Music Hall for a large group of us late at night to go tour the Chelsea Hotel.
I remember when leaving standing with Leonard's sister Esther and Dick & Linda outside waiting for a taxi after midnight and the fun we had that night.
How sad...I am sorry also to those of you who were close to him. He was one of a handful of the first forum people I met in person and he will not be forgotten.
Safe journey Dick!
Love Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Like you, Dar, I've been away from the Forum for awhile recently. When I saw the grim thread title, I gasped, "Oh, No...". I'm shocked because Dick was still so young in spirit and in years. I had tried to get him to respond to posts I left on his FB wall, but was told he was okay, but just didn't go there much. I was worried about him because the mere fact of his absence was cause enough for concern. Dick was always one to engage. So positive and jovial in nature, he was always upbeat and laughing. Dick (and Linda, as well) was always a reliably friendly face. He made you feel welcome, no matter where you were, or whoever else was around.

He was the only one to call me Tish. For no apparent reason, it was his own nickname for me, and I always loved seeing it anywhere or any time he used it. It always conveyed such affection. When we were in NYC to see Leonard, and we all gathered for a buffet and a performance by Ali Babs (Esther's wonderful discovery) in a small, banquet room at the back of a restaurant, he sought me out to gift me with an extra Leonard event journal he had. It meant so much to me that he did that.

I never expected to say goodbye to Dick so terribly soon, though. Dear Linda, whenever you read this, my heart is with you in your loss of your beloved husband, who with his smile, his laugh, his great nature, and his ebullience and humour, who was in many ways larger than life, while still being a precious friend. He lived life and loved it. Dick's being gone is such a loss to our long-term community, here on the Forum, in various places throughout the U.S., and around the world.

In one way or another, Dick (aka Big Dick) made an indelible impression and imprint on all of us who met him, or even read and interacted with him here. I know many everywhere are missing him. It's at times of loss such as this that those of us who aren't able to get together as much, like those in Europe do, that we are again painfully aware of the bonds and the friendship we feel, regardless of the distances and the time between meetings. My heart is with you and Eija, too, Jarkko. So many years of experiences and friendship and collaboration in the fulfillment of honouring Leonard. Happy times. May Dick be with his beloved friend, Esther, and Leonard now. May you rest forever in peace, dear Dick. My heart is with you in your loss, Linda. I am adding that yours was the quietude that Dick seemed to need for balance. Always there with him, holding the fort.

With love and sorrow,
Tish
Last edited by lizzytysh on Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

Oh, no. I so liked Dick and Linda. He was a pleasant and genial man. I enjoyed his company over many events. Damn

I wish all my friends the best of health in these so difficult times

Michael
SOME PEOPLE NEVER GO CRAZY.
WHAT TRULY HORRIBLE LIVES
THEY MUST LEAD
Padma

Post by Padma »

Dear Linda
Harry and I send our deepest, deepest condolences and love to you and your family. We have such fond memories of meeting you both at different Cohen events - the first of which was that magical time on Hydra when our children were toddlers. Dick always brought a smile to my face!
Thinking of you.
Much love Padma and Harry x
andrea

Post by andrea »

Dear Linda,
we got to know today about this sad news.We just could not believe it. RIP DICK ❤
We are really very sad and sorry. We have wonderful memories with you and Dick on our cohenite paths and we will keep you and those moments deep in our heart. We are thankful having known Dick , he was such a special man.
Our heartful condolences, to you and family.
Take care dear !
A big hug, love from your Italian friends
Andrea & Marco
1976 june Zürich (both evenings)
2008 july london - july loerrach - july lucca - october berlin - october milan - november london
2009 july koeln - august venice - september barcelona
2010: july salzburg - september florence- - december las vegas
2012: august ghent - september berlin - verona
2013: august pula - august Zürich
alikatis

Post by alikatis »

oh my goodness....what sad news... Linda, I am so sorry... You and Dick were my introduction to this community of lovely Cohenites, and to the LCForum. I was thrilled to meet you both with Esther at the NY Fringe Festival in 2011, and was so very grateful for your support over the years. We dedicated our performance at the 2014 International Fan Event to Dick and yourself alongside Esther, as you were unable to attend. I always enjoyed the times we spent in company and felt so welcomed by both of you.

My sincerest condolences to you, Linda, and to all of Dick's close friends here. I will raise a glass this evening to Dick's memory.

with love,
ali hughes (ali & the thieves)

this picture taken outside le poisson rouge in nyc, 2011 - after our performance at the NY Fringe Festival. xxx
Attachments
EstherAliDick.jpg
LC&LC

Post by LC&LC »

This is a very sad news indeed, my deepest condolences to Linda
2009: Paris, Nimes, Barcelona, 2010: Caen, Strasbourg, Marseille, Tours, Lille, Las Vegas, 2012: Ghent x2, London, Verona, Paris x3, Barcelona, Madrid, NYC, Brooklyn, 2013: NYCx2, Paris, London, Brussels, Rome, Lucca, Hamburg, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Pula, Manchester, London, Amsterdam, Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns, Townsville, Brisbane, Sydney Opera House
John K.

Post by John K. »

I am so sorry to hear this terrible news. Dick was always so kind and welcoming, and from our first meeting at the NYC Event in 2004 made me feel like I had always been part of our little community. It was thanks to Dick for (I think literally) grabbing me by the arm and introducing me to Esther Cohen at the Beacon Theatre.

His obituary even mentions us, I don't know if anyone has posted it previously:

https://danglerfuneralhomes.com/tribute ... bute-start

Rest in peace, my friend. Prayers for Linda and his family.
I love to speak with John
He's a pundit and a fraud
He's a lazy banker living in a suit

http://www.johnkloberdanz.com
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thank you for posting the link John. What a beautiful tribute and photo of Dick.
Again my condolences to Linda & their daughter at this most difficult time.
Dick will be missed.
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Sheila

Post by Sheila »

I was so sorry to read of the passing of our friend Dick. He was such a leading light in the Leonard community and a lovely friendly man. My deepest condolences to Linda. May Dick rest in peace.
ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile »

Very sad, with this photo I remember a short and beautiful time with Dick. Barcelona October 2007.
Attachments
20071027_12_AnticForn_trobada_Cohen_Jarkko_Jorcx_s.jpg
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Oh dear, I’ve not checked in here for awhile and am very saddened to hear of Dick’s passing. :(

He was such a convivial man, indeed a delightful Cohenite... I recall him with great affection and I always saw him as one of the crew who have been at the forefront of our Cohen world, both online and at our various events etc.

Dick will be sorely missed in our community, but fondly remembered.

My sincere condolences to Linda, his family members and friends.

RIP Dick.

Andrew D.
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

I only now see this sad news. What to say. For me, Dick was one of the original founders of this community. I will always remember our days in Berlin in 2006 (at the museum visit, nights at Strasseman etc.). My deep condolences to Linda :cry:
- Tom

Return to “News”