Statement from Cohen Estate: Unauthorized use of "Hallelujah" as finale to Convention Festivities

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
phillip

Statement from Cohen Estate: Unauthorized use of "Hallelujah" as finale to Convention Festivities

Post by phillip »

whats this I hear Trump singing covers of hallelujah and the fans being furious?
Last edited by phillip on Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
Geoffrey

Re: Trump

Post by Geoffrey »

phillip wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:48 pm whats this I hear Trump singing covers of hallelujah and the fans being furious? sounds awful down with trump!!!
Politics is a very divisive subject, Phillip. One can only agree that this is 'news', but if political preferences are to be discussed ("sounds awful down with trump!!!") we might remember that there exists a section here called 'politics' especially created for such messages ;-)
MarieM

Re: RNC use of "Hallelujah" as finale to Convention Festivities

Post by MarieM »

STATEMENT:

Following the repeated unauthorized use of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” during two performances at the Republican National Convention, representatives from Leonard Cohen’s Estate and Sony ATV Music Publishing issued the following statements:

Statement from Michelle L. Rice, Legal Representative of the Cohen Estate:

“We are surprised and dismayed that the RNC would proceed knowing that the Cohen Estate had specifically declined the RNC’s use request, and their rather brazen attempt to politicize and exploit in such an egregious manner “Hallelujah”, one of the most important songs in the Cohen song catalogue. We are exploring our legal options.

Had the RNC requested another song, “You Want it Darker’, for which Leonard won a posthumous Grammy in 2017, we might have considered approval of that song."

Statement from Brian J. Monaco, President, Global Chief Marketing Officer, SONY/ATV Music Publishing:

“On the eve of the finale of the convention, representatives from the Republican National Committee contacted us regarding obtaining permission for a live performance of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah”. We declined their request.”
Marie
Speaking Cohen
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

MarieM wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:54 am ...
Had the RNC requested another song, “You Want it Darker’, for which Leonard won a posthumous Grammy in 2017, we might have considered approval of that song."
Best reply ever! 8)

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

the webmaster should stop this thread. it is becoming too politically opinionated, and that is no way to encourage interest in leonard's music.
MargRz

Post by MargRz »

Geoffrey wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:42 am the webmaster should stop this thread. it is becoming too politically opinionated, and that is no way to encourage interest in leonard's music.
Using copyrighted material without permission is too politically opinionated? I think it’s simply criminal, don’t you?
MargRz

Post by MargRz »

Maarten wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:56 am
Best reply ever! 8)
I couldn’t agree more!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

MargRz wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:01 am Using copyrighted material without permission is too politically opinionated? I think it’s simply criminal, don’t you?
i joined this thread because someone wrote "down with trump". that is a political opinion.
John Etherington

Re: RNC unauthorized use of "Hallelujah" as finale to Convention Festivities

Post by John Etherington »

I hope Biden quickly counteracts Trump by getting permission to play "Democracy" at his rallies!
Geoffrey

Re: RNC unauthorized use of "Hallelujah" as finale to Convention Festivities

Post by Geoffrey »

John Etherington wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:14 am I hope Biden quickly counteracts Trump by getting permission to play "Democracy" at his rallies!
this is not the place to talk about biden versus trump. you are alienating people from leonard's work, and that is unfortunate.
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: Statement from Cohen Estate: Unauthorized use of "Hallelujah" as finale to Convention Festivities

Post by jarkko »

Leonard Cohen's Estate Slams GOP For Using 'Hallelujah' At RNC
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/leonard- ... 186e36b7cc
Link provided by Dany Hilven
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Eva

Re: Statement from Cohen Estate: Unauthorized use of "Hallelujah" as finale to Convention Festivities

Post by Eva »

Very upsetting! I hope they sue!!!I
I tweeted the info to Anderson Cooper at CNN!
It’s not the first time they have used unauthorized music at their rallies! Time to take a stand!
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
galwayowen

Post by galwayowen »

Maarten wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:56 am
Best reply ever! 8)
Hi Maarten,just thinking of Leonard in The Isle Of Weight 50 years ago this weekend,less mucky than Lisadell!,owen
B4real

Post by B4real »

Geoffrey had an appropriate reason for his first words but it has now turned into something else and the news has reached Australia too. It's in the Sydney Morning Herald -

https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-amer ... 55qgw.html
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!

Return to “News”