Montreal Leonard Cohen Memorial Commemorative Box Set

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
MarieM

Re: Montreal Leonard Cohen Memorial Commemorative Box Set

Post by MarieM »

Here's an excerpt from the beautiful ballet if you didn't see it on the website.

https://vimeo.com/444343140

Jarkko and Marie
Marie
Speaking Cohen
Janetld

Post by Janetld »

I'm another who ordered immediately it became available, yes, it is expensive, but I like the idea it is helping to support Canadian artists at this difficult time. I was fortunate enough to be in Montreal and have enjoyed so many events, concerts and, of course, Hydra. The announcement on the day my calendar reminded me I should have been in Ghent was poignant.

And, Geoffrey, what an appropriate choice and observation!

Looking forward to November when my new Box Set will be added to my varied collection of music, words and memorabilia.

Take care everyone, Janet
Oscar & Babet

Post by Oscar & Babet »

Hi dear friends, Oscar and I would love to donate 100 euro for fans who cannot effort it to buy the box (if they would like to have it, of course). Jarkko and Marie, may we send you the money? (And many many thanks for all the work you did already!) We also want to express that we feel very sorry for all those who lost their jobs because of corona (we had the illness but are doing well and didn t loose our job). From NL with love, Oscar and Babet.
2012 Amsterdam, Mönchengladbach / 2013 Oberhausen, Mannheim, Rotterdam, Amsterdam / 2017 Montreal
jim devlin

Post by jim devlin »

The delightful thing about this boxed set is the mix ‘n’ match of the visual and aural elements. It’s a thoughtful collection of various art forms and formats. Although I wasn’t at the Montreal Tribute concert in November 2017, I can know I will be there when my discs arrive in November 2020; and I’m also looking forward to more of Leonard’s concert performances – especially with his Montreal and Edmonton and Paris connections, Oslo too with ‘So long, Marianne’ and, of course, that Glastonbury ‘Hallelujah’… which reminds me to have my ‘best’ headphones at the ready. Back in 2013 we had Leif Bodnarchuk’s backstage account of the August-to-October leg of the 2012 tour [‘No Ideas’], which I found fascinating, and with this new offering we will be privy again to more ‘behind the scenes’ activities. The ballet disc is new to me and will be a welcome insight into another LC-connected-and-approved enterprise. And the photographs, posters, et al. are all agreeably picturesque mementos. Yeah, a decent project. AND with its support for Canadian artists.AND with the promise of more releases from UHPF (dare I suggest a complete 1985 concert; or an early 1988 gig in Europe – surely worthy of consideration), a welcome first issue.

p.s. and having watched Geoffrey's YouTube suggestion, I'd also recommend the London 1972 concert for release :D
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Oscar and I would love to donate 100 euro for fans who cannot effort it to buy the box
Oscar & Babet:
Thank you so much for your most kind and generous gesture.
Marie and I will discuss & decide to whom to forward your contribution.
We will let you two, Oscar and Babet, know who it will be, but are not going to post the name(s) here on The Forum, the identity is something that has to be kept confidential.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

jim devlin wrote:
>I’m also looking forward to more of Leonard’s concert performances – especially with his Montreal and Edmonton and Paris connections, Oslo too with ‘So long, Marianne’ and, of course, that Glastonbury ‘Hallelujah’… which reminds me to have my ‘best’ headphones at the ready.
------------------------
on youtube there exists alternative footage of 'so long, marianne' from leonard's final concert in oslo, but it's hidden from public view most of the time. should there be interest, it could again be made public for a short while, providing there are no copyright restrictions. the quality is not excellent, but perhaps better than the shaky audience video someone has already posted.
scream.jpg
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

❤ A wonderfully generous offer, Oscar and Babet!! I briefly, fleetingly, considered contributing to one or two people, when I read their comments, but quickly reined myself in when I thought of my other financial issues and how I NEED to stay in my own lane on this, as much as my heart would have it, otherwise. Paying it forward is another component of my initial thoughts. I am so happy that your hearts and ability align! Jarkko and Marie will be particularly precise in determining where and how to best place your contribution, and their decision will be one you would have been happy with. Even more so, I am especially happy that you two have safely come through COVID, and pray that you won't suffer any long-term effects. ❤

I have, in essence, already ordered, but via depositing the $265 USD into PayPal by transferring it from my credit union account. I've found too many times that when I pay by debit card, instead of PayPal, I mentally deduct it from my balance, but then it doesn't actually get taken out of my credit union account until the order is actually sent, which can be months down the road and long after I've forgotten! Otherwise, I WOULD have ordered immediately, as some others have. It takes 5-10 business days for this current transfer to fully occur, but at least it's reflected as deducted from my current credit union balance; and as soon as it appears in my PayPal account, I'll place my order. It's not so long from now that the funds will be available for use in PP, so I know there will still be boxes available at the discounted rate.

Meanwhile, thank you AGAIN for your generosity!! Someone(s) will be exceptionally grateful to you both!! :D :D

~ Lizzie
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
mutti

Post by mutti »

Wow! that is so kind of you both Oscar & Babet. It reminds me of another forum I am on (for Brandi Carlile) where I mention this forum a lot to them in terms of being so easy to use and a lot of other positive comments.
People on that forum often buy memberships and live stream concert tickets for others to help
out so it is so so nice and generous of you to donate funds to help someone out to buy the boxed set.

By the way my husband is from Heumen very close to you in Groesbeek.

Cheers!

Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

And FYI, I provided all the minutiae, just in case it might help someone if they could find when/how debit cards are actually charge out regarding ordering vs sending. It would be great if someone could secure their order and then have until November to ensure the funds were there. This is all banking stuff that I'm not sure about. Perhaps, they make certain the funds are there before the order gets held, but I know the delays have sure hit m.j e by surprise and panic in the past.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Oscar & Babet

Post by Oscar & Babet »

Dear Jarkko, that would be GREAT. We fully trust you and Marie and your decisions, so please feel free to make some other fan(s) happy, you do not need to tell us the specific name!!!! (also for reasons of privacy, this co-fan should just have a good time getting the box like we all). Yours O&B.
2012 Amsterdam, Mönchengladbach / 2013 Oberhausen, Mannheim, Rotterdam, Amsterdam / 2017 Montreal
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Here is another sampling from the Box Set, this one is an excerpt from the CD Travelling Light: Highlights of the Grand Tour:

https://soundcloud.com/user-116141491/mastered-promo

Beginning on Sunday, we'll be expanding this offer to sell the remaining boxes designated for this pre-sale. We'll provide a graphic that will make sharing the news easy, if you are so inclined.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Those samples sound great, thanks for sharing.
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
polkadot3

Post by polkadot3 »

Oh my goodness just looking at the ballet sample alone, I want this box set but like many others could not pay that much for it. I first discovered Leonard in May 2008 when I had just been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. I was just lying on my bed, flicking through you tube when I came across "Closing Time". I thought gosh this is great ! I loved the line "the johnny walker wisdom running high". Then I clicked onto Democracy and First we take Manhattan. The words were so powerful. I thought how the heck have I never come across this genius before. Funnily enough Suzanne was the first song of his I ever listened to when my sister bought the LP in the 70s. But then I went off to teacher training college and my peers were all into Bob Dylan, Pink Flloyd and Genesis . Anyway it was by this time August 2008 and who should be performing at The Big Chill at Eastnor Castle , near Ledbury, just a few miles up the road from me but Leonard Cohen! Of course I was unable to attend, as I was immobile as the MS had affected my spine which meant I was unable to walk at the time. Anyway I had to have a year off the school I was teaching at but I was eventually able to walk again by the following July 2009.
Then I found out Leonard was performing at the O2 in Dublin . Nothing was going to stop me. I went with my daughter, flying from Birmingham to Dublin. It was the best time of my life. It was like a spiritual experience. I also could not believe how funny he was and so self deprecating and humble. That was when the Webb sisters still did cartwheels! As I walked back along side the River Liffey with my daughter, I felt like I had been transported to another place. I was on cloud 9. In 2010 i went to Lissadell which was beautiful but I was sat right at the back and could only see the performance on screen. In September 2012 I saw him at Wembley Arena, with both my daughters which was fantastic and made friends with another Cohenite who linked arms with me all the way through! The final time I saw Leonard was at the NEC in Birmingham in September 2013.

I would have loved to have seen him in more exotic locations but funds did not allow. My next major attack was in 2016, the year Leonard died and I was made redundant as they could not have me off for another year. I felt too sad to listen to You want it darker, at the time. Now I am back on my bed again, unable to walk with another attack on my spine which of course affects my legs . But Leonard helped me get through the first 2 attacks so i'm hoping for the same this time which happened in June. Some people on here explain so eloquently what Leonard's words mean. I just feel them. I am hoping to visit Hydra one day although I imagine it may be a difficult terrain for someone with mobility problems. My 3 children are determined I will get there however as they know how much it means to me.
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Thank you for your enthusiastic discussion and appreciation for the Montreal Leonard Cohen Memorial Events Box Set. We are now ready to offer the remaining boxes to Cohen fans on Facebook and other social media platforms. Below is a graphic you can share on social media. It includes the site address and the discount code for your social media friends:

cohenboxset.com

Discount Code: JIKAN

This is the same offer made to Forum members, $100 USD off the list price of $350 USD.

Feel free to post this graphic on your Facebook page and in any Facebook group, along with other social media platforms.

In addition to the graphic, you are welcome to share these excerpts:

Ballet Jazz video: https://vimeo.com/444343140

Tower of Song concert video: https://vimeo.com/444344721

CD audio from Travelling Light: https://soundcloud.com/user-116141491/mastered-promo

What’s in the Box Set Unfolding Box: English: https://vimeo.com/442467903 and French: https://vimeo.com/442447387

The social media pre-sale will continue until September 7, unless the remaining boxes are sold out before then. The ZEN discount code will also continue to work until September 7 or until all the boxes are sold.

Again, thank you for continuing interest in Leonard's work.

Jarkko and Marie
jikan sharing graphic.jpg
LHHUNTER

Post by LHHUNTER »

A much cheaper official souvenir is the 2013 concert tour programme which is available for
£ 2.00 + postage from the LC website shop.

Return to “News”