Montreal Leonard Cohen Memorial Commemorative Box Set

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
oldfriend28

Re: Montreal Leonard Cohen Memorial Commemorative Box Set

Post by oldfriend28 »

Thank you for this info. :D
Oscar & Babet

Post by Oscar & Babet »

We LOVE these tour programmes!!
Thx.
2012 Amsterdam, Mönchengladbach / 2013 Oberhausen, Mannheim, Rotterdam, Amsterdam / 2017 Montreal
phillip

Post by phillip »

Can't wait for mine
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
andola

Post by andola »

I agree with the not so positive comments on this topic. Who wants to look at a ballet even if it has the music of our beloved master. Who wants live music which can be found on Youtube ? Stickers are for children. Posters for teenagers. I wanted music, in recorded and/or live format. For example: Sound checks, alternative and not so often heard versions of different songs (So Long Marianne for example), recitations and so on.

Sylvie Simmons write in her very good biography I´m Your Man, that there exists many diffrent takings of different songs as Songs of Leonard Cohen and Songs from a Room were recorded. Takings that LC was not happy with. There also exists recorded songs which have not been issued on CD. They belong to the estate of LC.

I would happily invest $250 in that kind of material, but not in this Commemorative Box coming out.
nenad

Post by nenad »

I want to look at a ballet if it has the music of our beloved master.
Cheers,
Nenad
arcadefire

Post by arcadefire »

Me I agree with the not so positive coments, but maybe Cohen dident wanted to have the alternative versions of his songs published, who knows, I know that would be terrible news for all of us. Maybe all the alternative versions and outakes were those published during his lifetime as bonus tracks of the first 3 albums.
The box, its simply too expensive, more than the unadorned pine box were he was buried, and the fact the money is going to promote artist from Canada, a very rich country, makes not sense to me, maybe if the money would be going to palestine or afghanistan artist, that would make more sense.
Of course I'm talking from the percepction of and old fan, i saw him live in 1993 and several times on his 2 last tours, I got lots of items and even his autograph, and I ejoyed very much, the presales of tickets on this web and before, the blakening pages. Now I guess everything would be oriented to new fans and collectors,and from their point of view this box maybe a treasure to behold.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Friends,

We are sorry to report that due to production issues as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Montreal Leonard Cohen Memorial Events Box Set can't be guaranteed for delivery by the holiday season. Consequently, refunds are being issued to those people who purchased the Box Set. The refund will be issued to your credit card and may take several business days to appear. We know you are as disappointed as we are.

We are told that the Foundation is planning to relaunch the Box Set with ample time in 2021. If you would like to be notified when the Box Set becomes available for purchase again, subscribe to the mailing list on UHPF's website: https://unifiedheartproductionsfoundation.org/ .

If you ordered a hand-signed Artist Print, these are still expected to ship in early November 2020.

We were looking forward to the release of the Box Set and are disappointed that COVID-19 has interfered in our lives and our pleasures once again. Hopefully, next year will bring better times and a return to normal for us all.

Marie and Jarkko
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
pe swijngedouw

Post by pe swijngedouw »

2020 or 2021, what's the difference ; not even meant to unseal, this set was only an (expensive) addition to all the good memories, just to be kept as a gift to whoever inherits it, after i'm gone. Videos by Albert Noonan, photos from Maarten, meeting people from this forum and other, my own tickets, setlists : those things will only last as long as i remember them, but this box will live longer than me, and that's why i want to have it : to pass it on to a next generation of Leonard Cohen lovers
... precisely ...
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

pe swijngedouw wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:30 am 2020 or 2021, what's the difference ; not even meant to unseal, this set was only an (expensive) addition to all the good memories, just to be kept as a gift to whoever inherits it, after i'm gone. Videos by Albert Noonan, photos from Maarten, meeting people from this forum and other, my own tickets, setlists : those things will only last as long as i remember them, but this box will live longer than me, and that's why i want to have it : to pass it on to a next generation of Leonard Cohen lovers

Very well said, my thoughts exactly
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
valentin

Post by valentin »

You know, friend Jarkko..., if you plan to release a cheaper CD with the songs from the live tour only ?
Verde que te quiero verde...
danslenoir

Post by danslenoir »

It's a little tempting, but I share the disappointment expressed by others around the contents, including on the tracks selected for the live cd (which we already have plenty of live recordings of).

I've been itching for a decent live recording of Born in Chains from his world tours which is much different to the studio version on Popular Problems (and much better in my view). Would it have been that hard to include a few tidbits like this?

Completely get that you can't please everyone, but given numerous responses from others in the same vein, can't help but feel this was a little misjudged and that it might have been prudent to have made more of an effort to understand what the target audience (presumably the kind of folk on this forum) would have really valued. Particularly given the high cost and the context of the time we are living in when many are experiencing more financial pain than usual.

Would it have been too difficult to release a couple of different versions eg, 1 with all the trinkets and bells/whistles for those who really want them and can afford it, 1 with much fewer of the trinkets at a lower price point? This would not necessarily result in less income for the charitable causes the box set is intended to generate income for as the production cost for the theoretical slimmed down version would be lower and there would presumably be quite a few folk not able/inclined to buy the full version but who would buy the slimmed down one.
envirohat

Post by envirohat »

I do not normally comment but felt the need to do so.

I agree with some of the comments on the forum about the box set. I normally love box sets (Dylan's bootleg series are fab). What annoys me is when they make them limited editions. I feel this closes the door on so many fans from owning somthing special which is unfair.

I do hope there will be future box sets etc which have more unreleased music etc which gives us a closer/ personal connection with cohen.

Return to “News”