Waiting For The News To Come

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
hadley

Re: Waiting For The News To Come

Post by hadley »

You're a good man Jarrko, don't take any disappointment people have personally, I'm sure it's more to do with people wishing there would more material and that Leonard isn't around any more than anything else. I'm sure everyone appreciates what you have been doing over the years and are doing now to help keep the light of Leonard's work shining, it would shine anyway of course as it's not like people are just going to forget the guy and his work, but it shines brighter cos of what you're doing here. The role you have found yourself taking here isn't an easy (or particularly glamorous) one, but you're making a significant contribution to a truly great artist's legacy, which is not an insignificant role to play in life by any means! Chin up! Would Leonard be disappointed with what you're doing? Not for me to say lol, but I would very much doubt it!!!
DennisBerlin

Post by DennisBerlin »

Dear Jarkko, I can understand your feelings, yet- as already been stated several times now by some members, I don't think any of us was really somehow well, let's say "greedy", to get even more new posthumous material, at least not in a kind of disrespecting way (the thoughts on that Blues album and the string quartet album were just in the air of speculation- though from what I got from those interviews wherein they were mentioned, I didn'd have much high hopes- as they eto be left in a state that would make it impossible to ever finish them in a proper way. So be it then, Leonard has always strived to reach perfection, something that possibly would not be achieved now without him).

"You Want It Darker" was a mighty strong last album and "Thanks For The Dance" a dear surprise and very heartrending and sweet afterword. Like also stated before by some of the members I was just thinking about archive material too. Especially "Songs for Rebecca" or some of the mentioned outtake material, or also a collection of Leonard's short prose (which was the least expected for me yet).

He gave us so much, you are right, and he deserves his rest.
I'm so glad that Adam made it possible that we also had "The Flame" too. For me it's a real blessing. And I much appreciate that he put in the "Notebooks" section. So much lines of honesty and nakedness of the soul in there, it makes me shudder every time when I read this section again.

Said all this, I must confess I myself was a bit let down too after the announcement, because I belong to those people who cannot afford it either. Being unemployed since a certain time now, it's just out of my realistic reach.
Just like visiting the Archives in Toronto, which is a dream of me, hopefully coming true once in my lifetime; yet it feels like reaching for the stars. So of course I was happy thinking and speculating about anything I still didn't know to come.

Yet, it's not your fault, really not- you know how it is with expectations: the disappointment is always house-made by the one who held the expectation, not by any circumstances that aroused it.

As many posters before again, I want to tell you my gratitude for you work on this homepage too.
When Allan Showalter decided to put down his page I was really shocked and sad. So I hope this beautiful place here will remain. It is so very important for us bunch of fans throughout the world.

All the best,
Dennis
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

DennisBerlin wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:22 pm When Allan Showalter decided to put down his page I was really shocked and sad.
Hi Dennis,
Allan Showalter is alive and apparently well and posting at
https://allanshowalter.com/
Most of his posts are Leonard related and they are mainly re-posts of items formerly seen on his now deleted websites.
Have a look.

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
da2008

Post by da2008 »

As I said in the other thread, the countdown was great fun that made this place feel like it was a few years ago.

Jarkko - I hope you don't retire from this forum. It won't be the same.
simonmoorehead

Post by simonmoorehead »

Jarkko - you are a star - I remember fondly our luncheon in Manchester and meeting Leonard in the London restaurant - best wishes Simon
Last edited by simonmoorehead on Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i would like to buy any artwork by lc
simonmoorehead@yahoo.com

Snow is Falling , there's a nude in my room!
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Dear Jarkko, you, Eija, Anne and I have become such close friends in the ensuing years since I entered the old News Group and we attended the Hydra Event in 2002.

We all owe you a depth of gratitude for what you've given us. No wonder that Leonard and his family think so highly of you. You are generous, protective of Leonard and his family, and have such a great sense of fun and an adventurous nature. We hope you lead the Forum for years to come.

I have to add Marie as well who alerts us so often to important news. We are so lucky to have two people so competent and generous to help us stay in touch with things of Leonard importance.

I hark back to my teenage years (many years ago) when I thought I was one of the few on the planet who was interested in LC. I converted my college roommates by singing his songs, but we were a small group. When Jarkko opened Files website, it was a revelation that there were people all over the world who loved Leonard. Now to have met so many of them, become close friends, and been able to participate in the Events and Walking Weekends, is almost unbelievable to me. Our lives are so much richer because of you and Marie.

Thank you Dear Friends!
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Hey Jarkko,
This thread was FUN!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “News”